Cardiac Rehabilitation Community
What Is the Usual Number of Cardiac Rehab Sessions after Bypass Surgery...

Cardiac Rehabilitation (Rehab) is a medically supervised program that helps improve heart function for people who have heart disease, have suffered a heart attack or have certain heart disorders.. Rehab programs include monitored exercise training, education on heart healthy living, and counseling to reduce stress and help you return to an active life. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cardiac Rehabilitation patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: tracking success, diet-nutrition tips; family issues, research, recovering from surgery.

What Is the Usual Number of Cardiac Rehab Sessions after Bypass Surgery?

I had cardiac bypass surgery in November 2010 and I have been going through Cardiac Rehab Phase II.   When I first enrolled in it, I was told that it would be 36 sessions of cardiac rehab.   After completing 22 sessions, I was surprisingly told by the nurse in rehab that I am only going to be allowed 24 sessions instead of 36, and that 24 is the normal amount.   I have been experiencing aching heart pain and unusual spikes in my blood pressure while at rest such as 180 over 85.   I have not been able to get in to see my cardiologist yet and have an appt. later this week.

What is the usual and recommended number of cardiac rehab sessions for a bypass patient?   My insurance company told me that there is no set number of sessions and it all depends on how the patient feels and what his doctor says.   The nurse in rehab basically said it does not matter what the doctor says and that I am only going to be permitted to have 24 sessions.   I consider that to be highly unwarranted to be cut short on 36 sessions of cardiac rehab.
Well I don’t really know. You probably right better having more. But keep it in mind you DO have 24.  Some country might offer less or nothing maybe. That is great you are going to have that many; hope those sessions will have great value!!

Let us know!
My Best.
I'm in the UK and can only really speak from how our system works. There are no real limits to the number of sessions, each case is different. The first session evaluates your fitness and sets a realistic target. You are then carefully monitored twice a week and once you progress to that target, you can be discharged. They take many things into account when the target is decided, such as heart damage or known artery problems still existing.
How they can decide how many sessions you will require without first testing your level of fitness is a bit odd to say the least. However, you never know, you could shock them and yourself and require less.
Thanks gentlemen.  I am going for 36 sessions because the more the merrier.   Studies have shown they improve longevity.

Just watch out for the upper extremily bike in rehab called the Monarch.  It is easy to pull a back muscle using it and now I need a masseuse.   I don't think my health insurance company will provide me a nice one.
Just stick a nice engine on the bike and lay back for the ride.
Ed, I have been trying to become another Lance Armstrong during cardiac rehab but I am still light years away from that point.
Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses and comments.

Image is important or at least it should be if the hospital cares anything about avoiding the health care ghetto look.   Much of their equipment in rehab is quite old, outdated, and not just extensively used.   It is pretty hard to abuse a treadmill machine, a NuStep bike or upper extremity bike.

In terms of staff, they have some unpaid student volunteers working there going around checking on patients’ blood pressures.   They don’t cost the hospital anything.

The hospital’s follow-up care after heart surgery is also lacking in my opinion.    When a patient has a problem following surgery such as “I am having problems breathing”, “I am itching all over and being driven crazy with this intense itching”,  “I am having an aching heart pain in my heart”, etc, they should make every effort to try to see that patient in a prompt manner but they don’t.   One can wait weeks or even months to see a cardiologist or heart doctor.   That is not good at all and  makes a patient feel there is no safety net following heart surgery.   They tell patients to go to the emergency room if they need to see a doctor sooner.  However, going to an emergency room is the most expensive way to see any kind of a doctor and oftentimes the E.R. doctor ends up telling the patient “See your regular doctor after you leave here.”   The E.R. doctor isn’t even a cardiologist or heart specialist but the hospital charges $5,000 or more for a heart patient to use its emergency room facilities to see a general practitioner.   What does the patient get for $5K?   His blood pressure checked, an IV, some blood drawn, an EKG and maybe a chest x-ray.    I would much rather have my primary care physician do those things and at a much lower price than the emergency room.
I can hear you!!:) Excuse me for smiling, not as it is any way would give us a reason for a smile, but you know we just have to say to ourselves: oh yes it all would be different on a perfect word but that place we call home: Earth ,is far very far  from perfect as it is right now. Future? Who knows? Until …if we see, like yourself: what is terribly wrong, then we did something at least, changed things? No, but knowing what isn’t right maybe a step ahead. Just my Canadian 2 cents.
In the United States health care is very expensive and is not a 'free ride' for most.  Therefore, I expect a standard of care to be generally in line with the high costs.   If it costs little to nothing, then I don't expect much.  However, when it costs an arm and a leg, I expect a lot.
Must be hard on that bike having given up an arm and a leg though.
I absolutely understand your point.....but...still...

Believe me it is not a 'free ride' for nobody, under any system, and in any Country. It is only a different way of manipulations, same in politic and as well in healthcare. We ALL were ever live in this Earth overpay for our staying, living in this WORD! If not in the health care payment, then in another way we have been ripped up.:) In Canada yes I have a free healthcare, so what does it mean? I was in the right place at the right time? Probably.  In my humbled opinion every single person rich and poor should get the same quality health care. Am I a dreamer?  I am.:)
Nice dream, I often have it myself. Unfortunately the rich always ask what's the point of being rich if they can't have better.
Maybe we had a little too much Lennon influence.:)
By comparison you have a 'free ride'.   A person cannot even walk into a hospital emergency room with a migraine here without incurring a $5,000.00 bill.    If you want cardiac bypass surgery, count on $200,000+.   My point is that one has to be rich to be able to afford the high cost of health care in the U.S.   Obama didn't change anything in that regard.

Ed34, I will gladly give you the bike they have in cardiac rehab here.   It dates back to WW II and was probably used by thousands of WW II vets.   THe old push button treadmill machine also dates back to WW II.   If I could post pics on this forum, I would.