Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Statin effects other than lowering LDL

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Statin effects other than lowering LDL

My understanding is that the statins with the greatest LDL reducing effect are Crestor, Lipitor, Zocor, and Pravachol, in that order.  I don’t mention Leschol and Mevacor since they appear to be rarely used since recently due to the aforementioned being more powerful.  Do we have any available solid data on the effects of the various individual statins other than LDL reduction?  For example, do we know which ones raise HDL the most?  What about effects on particle size or Lp(a), etc.  I guess really the most important question would be – is any one of these statins more proven than the rest in regards to reducing cardiovascular events?
The statins you listed all have been beneficial in reducing cholesterol.  Studies tend to show that Crestor and Lipitor work more effectively but responses can vary with individual patients.  Once you start your medication, your physician will check the levels again and can readjust the medication.  Crestor has been shown to increase HDL in some patients but not all.  Get your lab work retested after starting to see if there needs to be further adjustments made.
Thank you for the informatin that you provided.  However, to getting back to my orginal questoin:

Do we have any available solid data on the effects of the various individual statins other than LDL reduction and HDL increases?  For example, do we know which ones effect particle size or Lp(a) the most?

Is any one of these statins more proven than the rest in regards to reducing cardiovascular events?

Thank you
My cardiologist said he'll prescript a statin for me which can prevent kidney failure.  I ask my GP which one?  My GP said, all statins have also for prevention kidney failure.  Any one hear that before?