Cats Community
After spaying my cat

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

After spaying my cat

I just had my 7 month old spayed yesterday. She was out of it the entire night. She peed herself. This morning I went to check on her and she is definitely moving way more than she did yesterday. But her eyes just look different and she is acting more needy. I didn't get any pain medication. Is that necessary? How long until spayed kitties start acting normal again? How do I handle her? Is picking her up going to hurt? When can I clean her stomach? She has leftover blood around the incision area. I left her in the bathroom overnight with litter, food and water, and it looks like she didn't touch any of it. She is crawling all over me and purring, so I am wondering if she is feeling any pain. How long should I keep her separated from the other cats in the house? They like to play fight.

I feel so bad for having this done, and I hope she will still be the same kittie...  :( Thanks for answering any questions!
I would definately keep her away from the other animals for awhile until she's healed, especially if they are active and would be jumping on her. You don't want her incision to get pulled. She will be sore for awhile. Don't worry about getting this done. With the overpopulation we have in the world, it's best to get them fixed. She will be a happier cat too. She will be calmer. Just give her time to heal. I had a couple of cats fixed. Don't worry, she'll bounce back. Just remember, she just had surgery! If you just had surgery, you wouldn't want to play right away either! It's normal for them to not want to eat right away either. I know I didn't want to eat the day after I had surgery. I wouldn't worry about cleaning her right now either. You don't want to be pulling around the incision area. When she feels up to it, she'll start cleaning herself. The tricky part is keeping her from pulling at her incision. Did they give her the kind that dissolves? It's been a few years since I've had a cat get fixed. I'm not sure what they're using right now.
Just watch her and give her hugs and extra attention right now. She's still your kitty! :)
I think I'm just worried because when I had her brother neutered, he was fine after a couple hours. I guess her surgery was more major than his was. Her stiches are internal so they dissolve. She just seems sooo fragile. Thanks for your advice. She will be getting lots of extra love.  :)
Yeah, it figures. Us females always have it worse. Even with us humans it's major surgery to "get fixed" where as with a man it's just "snip, snip" and they're outta there! Lol. Somehow that doesn't seem fair, does it?
Just try and keep her warm and comfortable and try to keep her from jumping up and down on things. I know, easier said than done!

I just picked up Sweet Pea from the vet this morning. She just got fixed yesterday. She seems fine, just a little sleepy. I put her in my room with a blanket on the floor and some litter and food. I'm going to keep her in my room for awhile since the kitten we have still likes to play and jump on her. You're right! They do use the kind of stitches that dissolve. I found that out this morning. Just gotta treat them gently and give them some luvin for awhile.
Hope your kitty starts feeling better soon!
I think your kitty will be fine. Maybe a little spoiled   :)

Dove
Ahhh yes, she is very spoiled and pampered. You wouldn't guess it based on how sweet and loyal she is. She is doing better now. The medication wore off finally this afternoon it seems and she has started to clean herself. She just hasn't pooped yet, but she hasn't eaten much since Wednesday night when I had to cut off her food supply before the surgery. She still has a lazy kind of look in her eye, but I'm sure that will go away.

Ya april, they told me that her stiches were internal, so that's cool that we don't have to worry about having them taken out.

When can she be bathed? We usually bathe our kitties at home. She peed herself when she was passed out from the medication and she got her fur all wet. So she needs a bath!
They told me when I picked up Sweet Pea today to not bathe for up to two weeks post op. Let me share the list they gave me:

*Surgery lowers body temperature. Keep your pet warm (normal room temperature) for at least 7 days after surgery, even if it is an outdoor animal.

*Check the surgery area for any discharge or oozing.

*Lift your pet evenly to avoid discomfort.

*Do not put your pet on a bed or high place after surgery.

*No runnng, jumping, or roughhousing.

*Pet must be put on a leash when outside.

*Females in heat must be isolated from males for one to two weeks after surgery.
*Males still have the potential of impregnating females up to two weeks after surgery.

*You should be concerned if your pet shows signs of listnessess, refuses to be with people, or displays major personality changes for more than 24 hours after surgery.

*If you have a general feeling that something is wrong - please call us.

*No suture removal is required unless otherwise instructed.

*Do not bathe for two weeks post-op.

Food and water: Excessive food may cause vomiting. Offer only small amounts of food and water until the day following surgery, and then return to normal. Do not be concerned if your pet has a poor appetite shortly ater surgery or does not have a bowel movement during the first 24 hours.

I'm surprised they didn't give you a paper like this. It does sound like your kitty took a long time to come out from under the drugs. I'd watch that if she should ever have surgery again.

Sweet Pea did great! She got fixed Thursday afternoon and they kept her overnight at the vets. I just picked her up this morning and she looked a little sleepy, but now she's acting great! I'm surprised how well she's walking around. I don't know how they think we can keep them from jumping up on things though! She's been jumping up and down on my bed.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this list with you. I hope it helps. I know you're dying to give her a bath. There's bathing cloths you can buy at PetSmart. Maybe you could just use the bathing cloths for awhile. Remember to keep her warm, though!
Take care.
Wow, thanks! Ya, I got NOTHING from this vet. I have never been there before and probably won't go back again. All she did was hand me the cat and say she will probably be out for the next 4 hours. I wasn't told anything else. I had to call back to ask if I have to bring her back to remove any stitches. GRRRR....oh well!

I noticed my cat was very cold after surgery. If I had known it was from surgery, I would have done more to try to keep her warm! And ya, my cat hasn't sit still since yesterday afternoon. :) Thanks for the info on the bathing too! I will let her take care of herself for a couple weeks.  :)

Glad your kittie is doing well!
I had my two male cats neutered five days ago.  They woke up and were back to a somewhat normal energy level withing 24 hours.  I didn't expect them to be running around, etc... and they are not.  But they are alert and seem to have gotten back to their habits, although definitely resting more.  One of them also peed on himself (in my car!!! - yuck!K!K) on his way home from the surgery and I know I'm not supposed to wash him until he's back to "normal."  My problem is that they both started throwing up when they resumed eating and drinking liquids.  It is now five days post-op and they are still throwing up (about 4 times a day).  I called the vet when vomiting started 48 hours post-op and they said to bring them in for de-hydration concerns.  But since the cats are still drinking and eating, despite vomiting, I'd rather not bring them into a hospital where they are more likely to pick up viruses.  I'm just wondering how long I should wait out the vomiting.  (The cats don't seem weakened yet.  they are 2 1/2 years old and in excellent health despite this temporary situation.)  I'm just wondering if they picked up a stomach virus in the hospital, or are having a reaction to anesthesia or nervousness.  One of them (the one who started vomiting earlier) has started showing a little blood in the vomit (mostly bile).  Has anybody out there had a similar situation?  I have a feeling that they might have been given a lot of anesthesia material because they are almost like feral cats and past vets have had trouble sedating them and finding their veins.  Post-op, the vet tech apologized to me because they said one of the cats woke up early and was very scared and charged the bars in the cage and beat up his nose pretty bad.  I had told them that the cats would need restraint.  I was surprised that they didn't restrain them post-op  too (?? - I'm not sure if it's just something required during pre-op and operation).  Does anybody have any insights?  The paper I got from the vet said that vomiting might be normal initially (I assume they meant for one day after the procedure).  But now that it has continued for four days past that, I am a little concerned.  My instinct is to wait it out another day or two to see if there is any improvement.  I just want to know if it's possible for a cat to need a week to get the stuff out of his system instead of just a day.  I"ve also tried feeding them rice and boiled chicken, but as they are not used to this "neutral" food, they are not eating it.  They are just eating their normal food (Fancy Feast wet "fish" recipes, and Science Diet Nature's Best dry food).
My new kitten was spayed 6 days ago, she has a pretty awful infection.

Looking back:
I should have kept her in a dog crate the first 24 hrs post op.  She was very active and I think that the handlers at the vet were not clean.

I am really sad to see her kind of butchered in a way.  The underbelly is very swollen with the infection and a reaction to the stitches.

She continues to try and scratch there because it itches.  I am not sure how to handle that.  Her paws are dirty obviously and then she touches her open wound where the stitches came apart.  The Vet just says it's looking better and we are on antibiotic.

Anyone have suggestions?
after getting your cat spayed is it normal for male cats to still show up at your door, she was fixed 2 weeks ago.   thanks
Hi Guys, I had my female persian cat spayed 8/8/09 and she returned home in the next day with me.  I found her to be very weak and didn't want to eat or drink. It has now been almost a week since she has had a bowel movement and I am becoming more than a little concerned for her. I have made an appointment with a different vet as I wasn't too impressed with the level of care she got at my other vet.  Doea anybody have any idea's on what may have gone wrong in the procedure??

Amanda  Glasgow Scotland
my two 4-month old females got spayed 3 days ago, and before i was taking them in for the surgery, i had a very bad feeling about it, and now i regret this for sure. they are in much pain, they are suffering. they are ferals that i've taken in, and the vet said i could let them out the next day after surgery, and i have to tell you, that if i did that they'd be dead. (but maybe that's the whole point). they refuse to eat or drink. one of them just lays and purrs in a VERY WEIRD way, which is what they do when they are in pain, the other one is very restless and crying. both of them have tears coming out of their eyes. everytime i look at them, i start crying myself, because i cant stand seeing innocent animals in pain. i never go to doctors myself FOR ANY REASON, medical profession has become a death and sickness industry long time ago, and that's the last time i've taken an animal to a doctor as well. only natural cures and home remedies ALL THE WAY. And those of you who want to attack me by saying that there is overpopulation, DONT BE SUCKERS, folks! there is no overpopulation, animal, OR HUMAN. do your research, THE REAL RESEARCH, not what the soap box and the talking heads tell you. There is a massive agenda on the go for human and animal extermination. and when it comes to all those poor animals in shelters being SLAUGHTERED, thats the hand of HUMANS. animals have a natural way of being born and dying in the wild, the natural way, whether it be because they are not strong enough to survive, or they end up being someone's food. that's the way it SHOULD be. if the government and NGO's would just butt out of dealing with the world "problems" everything would get back to its own balance. and for the hard of thinking, it's the governements who always CREATE problems in order to 'deal' with them, whatever it is, in order to capitalize on it and push their agenda.
livefreeordie-NO attacking from me!!!  I agree with ya!  It sounds like you and Mandy had absolutely horrible vets that did the spaying.  It sounds like both of your kitties have infections from unsanitary surgical conditions.  It truly breaks my heart hearing about the c r a p p y care that your kitties got.  I hope that all of the cats are on antibiotics, it sounds like they need them!
I just got my 6 month old kittie spayed. She's on pain killer and antiotics. She's doing great..... She has stitches on her belly that needs to be removed in 2 weeks. is it ok to put a bandage over the incision area where the stitches are from keeping her from licking it or removing the stitches? I refuse to put an e-collar on her.......
Hey all, I had my 6 month old female kitty spayed last week and I feel horrible for doing it! She has been making terrible coff sounds and grunts ever since. She gets into these bouts of what seems like choking and her voice is very distorted. It's been 6 days after the surgery. I'm not sure what to do, I cannot take her back to the vet as she is very traumatized from the incident. Any advise appreciated.
Sounds like kennel cough (bordetella). Have you had your kitten vaccinated for it before? If not I suggest you go back to the vet and seek treatment for that (there are antibiotics) and get the vaccination.
It sound's like your kitties didn't go to a good vet. But no offense you should have done more research on the vets office you were taking them to, and called your vet when they weren't acting normal. Also, over population is a government "created" problem...but only in the sense that most people do consider a domestic house cat just that: domestic. Meaning that they are house pets. Not meant to survive in the wild. And im sure after hundreds of years of keeping them this way they are not really suited to live in the wild. Hence where over population comes in because people decide they want to breed their cats or just don't care. It's called over population because shelters and the like do not have enough space or food to support all of these cats, and do not want to see them on the streets where they can cause problems for humans as well. (diseases, damage to property, disruption) So a lot of places are FORCED to put these animals down. If the cats had been properly spayed or neut. in the first place we wouldn't have this problem. I really didn't want to come off like I was attacking you..but it's ignorance like this that really bothers me.
Your cat probably sounds like that because when they are put to sleep for the procedure a tube is inserted down their throat to make sure they are getting enough air. The tube can cause a sore throat a hoarseness for a while.
i got my 1 year old cat spayed 1 week ago..5 days ago her incision became infected and i took her to her vet who gave her antibiotics and she responded to them and was much better..but just today i found some mucusy discharges on her vagina and she's licking it constantly.she seems so needy she keeps cuddling and mewing to me...i called the vet he told me that its normal to have such discharge after the surgery because her uterus was infected but i dont believe she's normal please help me i dont know what to do...im giving her antibiotics but she keeps spitting them everytime i give her plzzz help me poeple i need ur help ASAP..thnx
no one answered me yet whyy??plz i need help plz
Trust your vet or look for a second opinion.
About the pills, you can try hide then with specific products made for( they suggested me here one by name Greenies,they said cats love those) or,if not avaliable in the place you are, use some feed your cat likes preferibly with paste consistence( to involve the pill)
You put inside her/his throat the more deep you can and keep the month closed til s/he swallow.I sugest you give her/him more food after
Good luck!
I'm so sorry your post went overlooked.  You posted on an old thread.

I'm sure you're completely correct about your cats behavior since you live with her and know best.  If you haven't been able to get the antibiotic down since kitty came home, I think by now you should return to the vet for a shot to get the infection under control and while you're there, have them demonstrate how to pill your cat.  This isn't easy At All, especially if you're trying to do it alone.  My husband and I do everything in tandem and it still can be a challenge.  We did have our vet give us a demonstration which helped a lot.

Apple gave you a great suggestion with the pill pockets...most cats like them, but at this point, I think kitty needs antibiotics in her system ASAP!

Good luck.  Let us know how your cat is doing, but do start your own thread which will get noticed right away!
thanks for ur advice all actually i started giving her augemtin with a syringe 3cc,im wrapping her in a towel and holding her firmly and my mom gives the med to her..she's better i think she stopped the needy attitude and im not seeing any discharges on her vagina but sometimes she has chills while she's sleeping she starts shivering and then suddenly stops..is it something i should be worrying about????i think she's fine but im a little worrried about the chills are they normal??an answer wld be appreciated thnxx everyone
is that ok if my cat licked that wound area? and my cat loose her appettite too. This is my first time dealing with spayed cat. I am too scared!!
yes that is natural for a cat to want to lick the would as long as she doesn't start picking at the stitches and pulling them out.
just watch for the wound so it doesn't become redder and inflamed.
that would indicate an infection and be painful for kitty.
her appetite will return normally within a couple of days...contact your Vet if it doesn't.
After anesthesia it takes a few days to get the appetite going again.

good luck and post again if you have more questions.

♥Opus
Hi my kitten Katara is 3 months old going on 4 months. I got her spayed 7 days ago. This is the first kitten I have ever had. My wife is away visiting family. We just recused her to a little over a month ago. I had to go get her spayed alone. I am a nervous reck right now. I have no idea how to deal with a kitten and the spay situation. She has a cone on and has had it on for seven days. I take it off for an hour a day. When can I take it off for good and not worry about the wound. My kitten is spoiled. I just feel soon bad for her. Yet she is to hyper with the cone off. I worry the wound will open. What do I do? When I got her home she was hungry and thirst no problems there. She was also boucing and trying to run around nothing like what the vet said. I have clamed her down as much as I could that is until I take the cone off. Help is greatly appreciated.
Hi Tony and welcome to the cat forum. sorry this reply is late, it almost got missed entirely.
To post a question. click the 'green' button at the top that says 'post a question' than it will get seen and someone will reply.
what you did is post onto an old thread from 2007....than its easy for us to miss.....
Hey I KNOW HOW CONFUSING this can be to new commers..the important thing is we found you and now hopefully can help.

Don't worry first of all, kitty sounds like she is coming out of the surgery just fine and healthy!!
Its hard to limit their energy....do what you can, its just to limit the chance of injuring the surgical site or stitches....really doesn't happen very often IMO.
As far as the cone...I hate those things....I wouldn't use for more than 2 days at the most, there is absolutely NO way its needed for 7 days!!!  when she is with you just keep watch that she's not over licking at the stitches and causing some irritation..if she doesn't than IMO a collar is cruel.
Some licking is normal as the area will be itchy....but if she over grooms than the collar might need to go on for another day..just keep watch.
If theres no new reddness, swelling or discharge than everything is healing up normally.

keep us updated and post anytime if you have another concern.....ps to post again on this SAME topic, just do so by typing in the 'white box' below where it says comments.......(its okay...I took tons of time getting accustomed to the site too!)
best to you both!

♥Opus
she got outside an now i can't get her back in the house, their is an small opening were she went up under house. i hope she be okay
My 6 month old kitty was spayed 5 days ago, she is absolutely fine in herself shes eating, playing etc, but the problem is if i take her e-collar off she bites at her stirches to get them out. I feel absolutley awful cos she hates the collar but i cant risk her pulling the stitches out and opening up the wound. She is back at the vets next week for the stitches removed will she be ok once thay have gone?? i just dont want the scar coming open and getting infected?  Advice would be greatly recieved :)
Thank you
IMO the incision is just healing normally and therefore itchy, kitten is doing just as we would do to an itchy area...she is trying to soothe it. If you believe she is pulling at the stitches than its best to leave the collar on for another day and monitor again tomorrow...5-6days with a collar seems to be a long time(I hate those things too).
Normal licking the area isn't a big concern, as long as she doesn't over irritate the area or pull out a stitch....
As long as there isn't alot of redness or oozing from the incision than its healing normally, if you do see redness or oozing that is an indication of infection...its sometimes possible to become infected around one of the stitches and in that case they may need to be removed earlier.
good luck♥
Got my 5mo old female kitty spayed Tuesday, they said she had to ware the ecoller, when she came home she went nuts about having that on. Jumped all over and under the bed, We took the collar off and she calmed down. She was sooooo hyper a few hours latter and seemed to be in no pain. Wanted to play and jump all over. I did not know what to do. It is now 4 days and she is like nothing ever happend. She does not bother the stitches, licks a little. I look at the stitches every day and the site looks good except that there is some swelling at the end of the inscision. I read about that, but says that is normal. I am more in pain for her when she jumps and plays the she is. LOL. Any suggestions about what else I should be looking for since she has been so active?
I just got my kitten Harley spayed about a week ago. She was doing great she was never sleepy though the exact opposite actually she's been non stop since the surgery it didn't seem to phase her one bit and her stitches were healing awesome. But I looked at her stomach today and it looks like there is a little bit of blood and swelling like she tore her stitch open a little. Is this something I should concerned about I don't want her to be in any pain should I be concerned like I said they looked great yesterday! I have a younger kitty Mikey they get pretty rough when they play fight I kept them separated for the first couple of days maybe I should of kept them apart longer, any insight??
hi....and welcome. what often happens is the wound around the stitches becomes infected remember they are a foreign matter, this can happen with us too..with the itching of the healing and infection bothering her she's been licking at it and caused it to break open a bit. nothing to be concerned about, take her back to the Vet and have the stitches removed, he may give you an antibiotic cream to apply for a few days...or perhaps some oral if the infection is worse than it sounds, with the stitch out and the antibiotic she will heal very quickly....I had this happen to a rescue I got from the shelter a few years ago...good luck.♥
My little girl ( 6 month) had her surgery 3 days ago. She is very hipper and bouncy, she runs around and bites. She had never been so hipper like this before in her life. It is unusual for me to see cat wanting to run and jump like this after surgery. I had male cats before and they never had act like this after surgery.
You are first person mentioned you cat being hipper and this is exactly  I was reading this website.
I am glad I am not alone.
My cat just got spade about 5 days ago and she is doing great but I'm worried about my other cat...ever since we brought my cat home from surgery (it was just a day, not overnight, dropped her off in the am and picked her up that evening) my other cat has been acting like he doesn't know Hazel (my girl that got spade) and hissing at her and swatting.  He completely acting like he's never seen her before at all and she was only gone a couple of hours.  He's hiding and not really eating much and if he even sees her walk by he starts hissing at her.  They were best buddies before I took her for surgery, slept together, played together, ate together out of the same bowl, even stayed in the same large dog kennel when we aren't home together and now he's acting like he has no idea who she is!  Has anyone else seen this and do you have any idea's for how I can get him to realize she's the same cat he's always known?? Or even how long it will last??  Please help with any comments or ideas you have!  Thank you so much!
I had two male neutered also and one of my cat has the same thing happening to him for the last three weeks and Project CatSnip says that he might have had an underline problem before the surgery. What did you do to get them to stop?
Hello and welcome.  I'm sorry.  The person who you are asking your question to, posted 4yrs ago.  If you go to the top of the forum, you will see the ORANGE *Post a Question* button on the right.  Please start your own post outlining your question so we can help you better. :)
Hi Guys,
My cat got spay today she is in around 10 months. i collected her from vet this evening a moment she came back home, she become soo super active she isnt resting or anything. Her main priority is to remove protection (from licking) from her head, she walks back-fords and forward and i mean she is walking in to the things am so scared she will damage here wound. Guys any of you know what should i do how to calm here down, i prefer her to be tired or something now she is hipper !!!!1
O pls some one help me"!!!!
I had my kitty spayed last Weds..put the cone on her when we got home and she was a nightmare.  She walked backwards then would flop on her back with her legs open.  That night I put her in my back porch and all I heard was her cone banging against the walls and doors then there was a big crash..When I got there she had tipped a whole bowl of water over and was soaked..she did not sleep at all.  The next day she went to sleep at 1pm in exhaustion and stayed that way for a few days.  She'll get better with the cone.  Its been five days in for abby and she hates it but have gotten use to it.  I do take it off a few times a day and let her eat in comfort. She growls at me when I put it back on.  But thank goodness were half way there.  Its been rough I tell ya lol..she got a little redness at the beginning of her incision but I think its normal fingers crossed..
I had my kitten spayed & the next day it seems she has some swelling no redness or leakage & she is a very active kitten she is eating & drinking fine an acting normal but it has been 3 days now and she is still a bit swollen I can touch it & there is no pain her stitches are all inner stitches is this a cause for concern that she may have popped a stitch or is this normal
Hi I had my kitten spayed 3 days ago. She ate normal that night and the next day. Yesterday she stopped eating. She is walking around and seems alert I am just worried about her not eating any ideas

Patty
patty welcome to our site. you know after a clinic does surgery on a pet that they are obligated to answer your questions and provide another exam IF you think something is not right....many cats will be off their food for a day or so after surgery, particularly if they are on some medications....BUT when not eating at all than something is WRONG...cats can become very ill within 24-48 hrs with a condition called fatty liver disease if they don't eat.....
take her back to the Vet clinic who did the surgery, there should be NO additional expense for the Vet to exam her.....and see if she perhaps has a temp and possible infection going on...always better to be safe than sorry.
good luck and keep us updated please♥
Hello All!
I just got my Athena (who is 8 mos) fixed yesterday. She used the litter box once yesterday but has not eatten anything. She then retired to our bedroom and has stayed under our bed for the remainder of the day and night. Last night I picked her up and put her on the bed thinkng that would make her feel better to have something soft to sleep on. She did lay down for a bit then decided to get down and go back under the bed.
My biggest worry is that one she use to be very active and loveable. I know with any sugery that the day of no one wants to do anything. But how long will she be like this? Is there a certain time period that if she does bounce back that I should be concern?
Two, She didn't eat yesterday, if she doesn't eat today is that a red flag. or is there a time period on that when I should be concern.

Her surgery was all interal ( thats what the et said) so no stiches on the out side to worry about and she also had a rabies shot and chipped all at the same time. So I'm looking at it that she had alot to be done and her actions are because of it. I just not sure how long she should be acting this way.

Thanks guys!
hi and welcome to our site. first of all it makes me really angry when Vets do a surgery PLUS rabies vaccine at the same time.....both together are especially hard on a young kitty to go through all at once.
she is most likely feeling very yukky right now. hopefully this will pass within 24 hrs. just leave her sleep it off, HOWEVER she does need to eat and drink at least something, put her food down near her and tempt her with her favorites for a few days, try some meat only baby food such as a chicken perhaps?....if she hasn't eaten within 48hr than I would begin to get alarmed..at that point you will need to get alot more aggressive, let us know how today goes okay...good luck♥
My cat just got spayed yesterday. she's about 6 months old. we took her home this morning and she is CRAZY. she's freaking out and hissing at herself and screaming. she has a cone around her head so she doesnt lick or try to touch the incision. I think that's what's frustrating her. she isnt in a crate nor in an isolated room. we don't have any other pets but should she be by herself or away from humans? she looks kind of drunk because of the medication. when should she start acting normal again, (if she ever will)? please help im so scared for her. she's in a lot of pain.
Hi reliaroo...listen, if you can supervise her, just take the cone off.  It'll be okay.  That thing is stressful for all animals.  She'll calm down once the cone is removed, I'm sure of it.  Usually it can take a day or two for the anesthesia to wear off.  Give her some treats for being such a good girl.

Keep us posted ;)
I had my cat 2 1/2 yrs old spayed she is feral and only knows me. She was pregnant and had 1 baby inside. She also gat distemper shot and rabies! She freaked out when she cane out of the crate. I tricked her going in for a week I gave her treats there. She eats but not too much this is day 3 and she dosent drink too much!! It seems she is calling for her babies,I have 2 of hers now 1 1/2 yrs old.  When she purrs she trembles,at nite I keep her in a room alone. This is my first time doing this ever!! She sleeps alot.but the trembling scares me. Is it because of the shots??? Rabiie shot!!!??? Please tell me what to do, I didnt go to work today because I want her to get better!! HELP
hi and welcome, I would really take kitty back to the clinic for a re-check(no cost) and be sure there isn't something going on...could be an infection? or a reaction to the shots..
I am never in favor of giving rabies PLUS another vac together and especially not along with a surgery too.....that is so very hard on their systems to absorb so much at one time.
I really don't like you saying she is trembling, this scares me too...please get the recheck done and keep us updated...good luck♥
I called the UCSPCA and they didnt call back! So I called a local vet which I took Bellie one of her kittens(1 1/2 yrs old)because on Sunday nite, 2days she was sleeping alot and not as active as on Sat. Mon I gave her eye droppers of H2O she wasnt drinking enough but I also added water to her Fancy Feast.Her temp on Tues was 102. But she hasnt pooped .She usually goes outside and 1/2 hour later she wants to come in. Shes still calls for babies the vet said hormones might be still  making her do that. She did that before she got spayed. I asked about the trembling and she said it maight be from tying her down,the sugery was longer than usual since she was pregnant! Once she drifts off she stops. I can tell she is still very sore,but today she peed  2 times ate better but still didnt drink. I gave her eye droppers of H2O. I waant her to poop then I will feel better! The other 2 are very nice to her and Bellie and her sleep together during the day. I still keep her alone at nite but I think she will be o.k. with them. I will not risk it,she'll cry tonite. I got up at 4a.m. just to let her out!What do you think about this?? Is there any stool softener ! Or should I just wait?? Thanks for the info!!

it would be best if a Vet could see her to be sure there isn't something going on...its very hard for any of us to tell by just reading this.
a normal temp for a cat is between 100-102.5 if it goes higher than that than she definately has an infection going on, but if it stays there than she is probably just very sore and somewhat ill from the shots, rabies can make them feel quite under the weather for a few days...but this is day what 3 or 4 now? by tomorrow those side effects should have gone.

when cats eat wet canned food they normally don't drink much, mine sure don't so don't be concerned over that...you are giving extra water with the food and some by dropper so thats great.

its a good sign that she is peeing and starting to eat better, by tomorrow she should be ready to poop...sometimes that takes a few days too following surgery. but tomorrow is day 4 or 5? than you may need to get her some help.....but how can you be sure she hasn't gone when she goes outside??
Hi well she dosent go outside. She did poop on3/21/12.Very small and hard.today.Yesterday she was eating good wet and dry food. She peed in the a.m. Today after that small poop I think maybe shes constipated. I'll called the Vet again today. She has no fever b ut still isnt drinking.
Shes in the corner sleeping alot and her last 2 teets are swollen and warm. The Vet said it my be mastitis. She was pregnant when i had her spayed,maybe 5 weeks.
She is feral and only knows me I really dont want her to get traumitized again about the crate.
I tricked her going in it,by giving her treats by the crate,putting her in gently and then she turn around and eat them.
But if things dont et better soon I guess i"ll have to for her good!
I am stressed out its now day 5. What should I look for ,the mastitis??
She is warm down there and it looks like she has a tuck under her bellie. When she licks her scare it folds in alot and the 2 teets stick out ? What do you think??
I will try to copy a few line from a good Vet site....about mastitis that can occur when spaying a pregnant female. I will also give you a link to the complete site of 'what can go wrong when spaying' I suggest you read it all and if you think this is what kitty has I would take her to the Vet asap...I know you don't want to stress her but it could save her life....in the case of mastitis or other inflammation going on.
good luck hon to you and kitty, please keep us posted...♥

QUOTE:
So where does this fit in to ovariohysterectomy (spaying surgery) and mammary hyperplasia?
If you desex a cat who has just finished her heat (i.e. a cat in diestrus) or who is pregnant, you are effectively spaying a cat with fully-functioning corpus lutea: i.e. a cat with high blood progesterone levels. The consequence of this can be the same as the situation that occurs during birthing. The sudden drop in blood progesterone levels caused by ovary removal can result in the cat's pituitary gland secreting prolactin which, in turn, can result in the newly spayed cat lactating or, in severe cases, developing massive mammary gland enlargement (a condition called feline mammary hyperplasia).

The lactation is not a problem so long as the owners of cats about to be spayed whilst pregnant or in-heat are aware of the possibility of it occurring. If lactation does occur, the mammaries will need to be monitored for signs of mastitis. If mammary hyperplasia occurs, however, this can be a far more serious and potentially debilitating problem. Hyperplastic mammaries are at high risk of ulceration and life-threatening mastitis and, should prolactin-suppressant drugs (e.g. bromocriptine at 0.25mg SID) fail to resolve the issue, then complete mammary gland resection (surgery to remove the udders) may be needed to resolve the situation.

Authors note: A similarly dramatic, non-painful mammary gland hyperplasia condition is also known to occur in entire undesexed female cats or entire/spayed cats treated with progesterone drugs. The mammary enlargement is thought to be the result of high progesterone levels (or progesterone level fluctuations) in the cycling cat. In these cases, antiprogesterone drugs (e.g. aglepristone) and desexing the cat is the recommended course of treatment as it removes from the body the source of progesterone and progesterone fluctuation. Mammary gland resection may be required if severe ulceration or mastitis occur.

this is a link to the entire site:

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/spaying-cats.html#complications-spay

TOP
Its nine days since my cat Petal got spayed she didnt get it on her stomach its above her leg ive to bring her in in the morning to get her stitches removed the first night she pulled off her collar and was at her stitches but didnt remove them about the sixth day i decided to let her out which i regret shes got a lump on the area and theirs clear liquid coming out of it im so worried will they have to open up the area again and leave the stitches in for another 10 days
its sometimes possible to have an allergic reaction to the stitches themselves, Vet will most likely remove and give kitty an antibiotic, good luck
OMG!! I thought it was just me who thought there's something  anthropocentric about this "overpopulation problem" argument folks like to make regarding cats and spaying/neutering them. The nerve! There is plenty of room, space, resources for EVERYTHING/ONE. I find it's a certain group that likes to decide for all what's enough for whom and when. God complex to say the least.. very very annoying.
please tell me your joking.  because if your not then you really need to do your homework.  go down to your local animal control center and ask them if over population is an issue.  better yet just go there and look at all the cats that are there for adoption and determine for yourself.  here are some facts for you

Start with one unspayed female cat who produces three litters of 4.5 kittens in one year. Then suppose each of these kittens finds a mate and reproduces at the same rate, and so on for the following generations…all while the original female continues breeding, too. If none of these cats are sterilized, how many cats will you wind up with?
Year 1: 14

Year 2: 203

Year 3: 2,754

Year 4: 37,193

Year 5: 502,119

Year 6: 6,778,620

Year 7: 91,511,383

and that is just one cat.  think about how many unspayed cats there are in the country and decide for yourself if its an issue or not
Well said....and so very true, count how many cats/kittens are euthanized each and everyday b/c there are no homes for them...to spay or not isn't an option!!!!
I had my cat spayed a week ago and she has not been the same since...she won't eat but she will drink a little water.  She is throwing up blood and is getting very skinny and I am very worried about her. Does anyone know what might be happening to my baby?
My cat got fixed yesterday and is it normal for them not to used the bathroom for a few days?
My kittens just got spayed yesterday and the vet let them sit in their pee. So I am wondering if I can bathe them ?
no....just use a warm damp cloth and clean them as well as you can, don't try to bath for at least a week until the incision is healed over:)
My kitten was spayed on halloween 10/31/13 and she seems to have a good attitude but I noticed where her incision is at the end closet to her tail she had a bit of discharge or fluid.  Should I contact the vet or just continue to check it throughout the day?  Is this normal?  My mother is an O.R. nurse and just thought it was some discharge fluids from surgery but I am not sure.  Kittens are not just like humans.  Please help.
there really shouldn't be any discharge 5 days post op....is the incision redder where the discharge is oozing from? really wouldn't hurt to contact the clinic...my clinic usually calls me a few days after any surgery to check if there are any signs of complications....so yes call them!!
I somehow agree with you.I had my cat spayed after reading that not having her spayed would be an irresponsible behaviour. The operation is not an easy one and the poor creature suffered for long and now she hates us all and feels betrayed and hides under the bed once she sees us. She was once a happy affectionate kitty who liked to sleep in my lap and purr peacefully...not any more. I think this spaying neutering propaganda is just another means to make vets rich. I understand that if male cats had a very simple operation called vasectomy rather than being castrated , they can still mate without getting the female pregnant and this way, she doesn't bother you with her heat cycles as well and everybody is happy. Vets don't do this operation because they make a lot of money spaying and neutering cats rather than allowing them a natural life.
I couldn't have said that better myself. There are NO attacks from me on this and I do agree!!  Thank you for posting this. Took my cat to get fixed and she's been throwing up A LOT and now is throwing up blood. Her stomach looks like, well it looks like she had her internal organs just removed. It's all sunk in and looks like a horrible starving cat off the streets. When she went it she was fat, (a good fat) and healthy. Now she looks like ****!! And her personality is crap now. She looks miserable. So now I have to take her back to that stupid vet to see if there is infection. I just can't believe this. Ppl, if you don't want kittens, leave them INDOORS!!! That the humane way to deal with this. Why put them through **** like this when there is no need!!! And your so right, there is no over population of cats. The weak ones won't make it therefore will be food for another animal. If your stupid go watch the lion king. It explains the CIRCLE OF LIFE. Uhhhh I hate vets, I hate doctors. I'm finished with my rant, but livefreeordie, yay for you!! Like I said, I couldn't have said it better than you!!! <3
My 6 month old kitten was spayed today, and sent home with a e collar, she has already managed to get it off twice, and absolutely hates it, she ha already eaten and wanted cuddles and followed me around the house, but her home for the next week is confined to our second bathroom, but I think she may have pulled her stitches out already, havent been able to get a good look just a quick one, can't seem to see any stiches and a little discharge watery slight pink, might ring the vet in the morning
There are other concerns with spaying a pet, whether they are indoors or not.  My 13 year old cat JUST got spayed because I felt the way you did.  She was always a very healthy cat.  I felt that spaying them was cruel and they had no choice.  However... it's agonizing and extremely stressful to not only the pet owner but the animal itself too when it gets an infected uterus.  The ONLY solution to PYOMETRA (look it up.. ) is to have surgery to remove the puss filled uterus.  Sure, there are holistic approaches.. but, I don't live in an area where I can just go see a holistic vet (which would be MY preference) but that isn't an option for me.

Ok fine, you don't feel that it's fair to spay a cat or dog because of overcrowding.. but.. how about watching your beloved member of the family die and there's nothing you can do about it?   if money is your concern.. in my area, a routine spay (which a pyometra surgery is a lot more complicated and delicate) is around $120.. and I just payed $2800 for a pyometra surgery.  She was critical for 4 days in the hospital, lived on nothing but fluids for a week, and now it's a week and a half after surgery and she's fine.  

On your rant about your kitty's personality change.. of course it's going to change.. have you never known a woman who acted differently after she got her tubes tied or had a hysterectomy?  The hormones are different.. do I feel it's cruel anymore?  no, because I would do anything to keep my kitty alive and healthy.   I don't care about the overcrowding pet population, and I don't like doctors or medicine in general, but.. I have to say that the vet that took care of my cat, saved her life.  
Hi Wync,

Please let us know how your Baby is doing. I just read this post and am terribly worried about her. I hope she has been seen again by your vet and did not have an infection!!!

Thank you,
Please update us, Wync!

CML
i just got my kittie done.instead of the cone used the baby pf with the snaps and have it so she can go the bathrm.works perfect and she can lay down better.cut the sleeves short and put her legs in.then just pinned a little so it would not fall off/