After spaying my cat
I just had my 7 month old spayed yesterday. She was out of it the entire night. She peed herself. This morning I went to check on her and she is definitely moving way more than she did yesterday. But her eyes just look different and she is acting more needy. I didn't get any pain medication. Is that necessary? How long until spayed kitties start acting normal again? How do I handle her? Is picking her up going to hurt? When can I clean her stomach? She has leftover blood around the incision area. I left her in the bathroom overnight with litter, food and water, and it looks like she didn't touch any of it. She is crawling all over me and purring, so I am wondering if she is feeling any pain. How long should I keep her separated from the other cats in the house? They like to play fight.

I feel so bad for having this done, and I hope she will still be the same kittie...  :( Thanks for answering any questions!
I had two male neutered also and one of my cat has the same thing happening to him for the last three weeks and Project CatSnip says that he might have had an underline problem before the surgery. What did you do to get them to stop?
Hello and welcome.  I'm sorry.  The person who you are asking your question to, posted 4yrs ago.  If you go to the top of the forum, you will see the ORANGE *Post a Question* button on the right.  Please start your own post outlining your question so we can help you better. :)
Hi Guys,
My cat got spay today she is in around 10 months. i collected her from vet this evening a moment she came back home, she become soo super active she isnt resting or anything. Her main priority is to remove protection (from licking) from her head, she walks back-fords and forward and i mean she is walking in to the things am so scared she will damage here wound. Guys any of you know what should i do how to calm here down, i prefer her to be tired or something now she is hipper !!!!1
O pls some one help me"!!!!
I had my kitty spayed last Weds..put the cone on her when we got home and she was a nightmare.  She walked backwards then would flop on her back with her legs open.  That night I put her in my back porch and all I heard was her cone banging against the walls and doors then there was a big crash..When I got there she had tipped a whole bowl of water over and was soaked..she did not sleep at all.  The next day she went to sleep at 1pm in exhaustion and stayed that way for a few days.  She'll get better with the cone.  Its been five days in for abby and she hates it but have gotten use to it.  I do take it off a few times a day and let her eat in comfort. She growls at me when I put it back on.  But thank goodness were half way there.  Its been rough I tell ya lol..she got a little redness at the beginning of her incision but I think its normal fingers crossed..
I had my kitten spayed & the next day it seems she has some swelling no redness or leakage & she is a very active kitten she is eating & drinking fine an acting normal but it has been 3 days now and she is still a bit swollen I can touch it & there is no pain her stitches are all inner stitches is this a cause for concern that she may have popped a stitch or is this normal
Hi I had my kitten spayed 3 days ago. She ate normal that night and the next day. Yesterday she stopped eating. She is walking around and seems alert I am just worried about her not eating any ideas

Patty
patty welcome to our site. you know after a clinic does surgery on a pet that they are obligated to answer your questions and provide another exam IF you think something is not right....many cats will be off their food for a day or so after surgery, particularly if they are on some medications....BUT when not eating at all than something is WRONG...cats can become very ill within 24-48 hrs with a condition called fatty liver disease if they don't eat.....
take her back to the Vet clinic who did the surgery, there should be NO additional expense for the Vet to exam her.....and see if she perhaps has a temp and possible infection going on...always better to be safe than sorry.
good luck and keep us updated please♥
Hello All!
I just got my Athena (who is 8 mos) fixed yesterday. She used the litter box once yesterday but has not eatten anything. She then retired to our bedroom and has stayed under our bed for the remainder of the day and night. Last night I picked her up and put her on the bed thinkng that would make her feel better to have something soft to sleep on. She did lay down for a bit then decided to get down and go back under the bed.
My biggest worry is that one she use to be very active and loveable. I know with any sugery that the day of no one wants to do anything. But how long will she be like this? Is there a certain time period that if she does bounce back that I should be concern?
Two, She didn't eat yesterday, if she doesn't eat today is that a red flag. or is there a time period on that when I should be concern.

Her surgery was all interal ( thats what the et said) so no stiches on the out side to worry about and she also had a rabies shot and chipped all at the same time. So I'm looking at it that she had alot to be done and her actions are because of it. I just not sure how long she should be acting this way.

Thanks guys!
hi and welcome to our site. first of all it makes me really angry when Vets do a surgery PLUS rabies vaccine at the same time.....both together are especially hard on a young kitty to go through all at once.
she is most likely feeling very yukky right now. hopefully this will pass within 24 hrs. just leave her sleep it off, HOWEVER she does need to eat and drink at least something, put her food down near her and tempt her with her favorites for a few days, try some meat only baby food such as a chicken perhaps?....if she hasn't eaten within 48hr than I would begin to get alarmed..at that point you will need to get alot more aggressive, let us know how today goes okay...good luck♥
My cat just got spayed yesterday. she's about 6 months old. we took her home this morning and she is CRAZY. she's freaking out and hissing at herself and screaming. she has a cone around her head so she doesnt lick or try to touch the incision. I think that's what's frustrating her. she isnt in a crate nor in an isolated room. we don't have any other pets but should she be by herself or away from humans? she looks kind of drunk because of the medication. when should she start acting normal again, (if she ever will)? please help im so scared for her. she's in a lot of pain.
Hi reliaroo...listen, if you can supervise her, just take the cone off.  It'll be okay.  That thing is stressful for all animals.  She'll calm down once the cone is removed, I'm sure of it.  Usually it can take a day or two for the anesthesia to wear off.  Give her some treats for being such a good girl.

Keep us posted ;)
I had my cat 2 1/2 yrs old spayed she is feral and only knows me. She was pregnant and had 1 baby inside. She also gat distemper shot and rabies! She freaked out when she cane out of the crate. I tricked her going in for a week I gave her treats there. She eats but not too much this is day 3 and she dosent drink too much!! It seems she is calling for her babies,I have 2 of hers now 1 1/2 yrs old.  When she purrs she trembles,at nite I keep her in a room alone. This is my first time doing this ever!! She sleeps alot.but the trembling scares me. Is it because of the shots??? Rabiie shot!!!??? Please tell me what to do, I didnt go to work today because I want her to get better!! HELP
hi and welcome, I would really take kitty back to the clinic for a re-check(no cost) and be sure there isn't something going on...could be an infection? or a reaction to the shots..
I am never in favor of giving rabies PLUS another vac together and especially not along with a surgery too.....that is so very hard on their systems to absorb so much at one time.
I really don't like you saying she is trembling, this scares me too...please get the recheck done and keep us updated...good luck♥
I called the UCSPCA and they didnt call back! So I called a local vet which I took Bellie one of her kittens(1 1/2 yrs old)because on Sunday nite, 2days she was sleeping alot and not as active as on Sat. Mon I gave her eye droppers of H2O she wasnt drinking enough but I also added water to her Fancy Feast.Her temp on Tues was 102. But she hasnt pooped .She usually goes outside and 1/2 hour later she wants to come in. Shes still calls for babies the vet said hormones might be still  making her do that. She did that before she got spayed. I asked about the trembling and she said it maight be from tying her down,the sugery was longer than usual since she was pregnant! Once she drifts off she stops. I can tell she is still very sore,but today she peed  2 times ate better but still didnt drink. I gave her eye droppers of H2O. I waant her to poop then I will feel better! The other 2 are very nice to her and Bellie and her sleep together during the day. I still keep her alone at nite but I think she will be o.k. with them. I will not risk it,she'll cry tonite. I got up at 4a.m. just to let her out!What do you think about this?? Is there any stool softener ! Or should I just wait?? Thanks for the info!!

it would be best if a Vet could see her to be sure there isn't something going on...its very hard for any of us to tell by just reading this.
a normal temp for a cat is between 100-102.5 if it goes higher than that than she definately has an infection going on, but if it stays there than she is probably just very sore and somewhat ill from the shots, rabies can make them feel quite under the weather for a few days...but this is day what 3 or 4 now? by tomorrow those side effects should have gone.

when cats eat wet canned food they normally don't drink much, mine sure don't so don't be concerned over that...you are giving extra water with the food and some by dropper so thats great.

its a good sign that she is peeing and starting to eat better, by tomorrow she should be ready to poop...sometimes that takes a few days too following surgery. but tomorrow is day 4 or 5? than you may need to get her some help.....but how can you be sure she hasn't gone when she goes outside??
Hi well she dosent go outside. She did poop on3/21/12.Very small and hard.today.Yesterday she was eating good wet and dry food. She peed in the a.m. Today after that small poop I think maybe shes constipated. I'll called the Vet again today. She has no fever b ut still isnt drinking.
Shes in the corner sleeping alot and her last 2 teets are swollen and warm. The Vet said it my be mastitis. She was pregnant when i had her spayed,maybe 5 weeks.
She is feral and only knows me I really dont want her to get traumitized again about the crate.
I tricked her going in it,by giving her treats by the crate,putting her in gently and then she turn around and eat them.
But if things dont et better soon I guess i"ll have to for her good!
I am stressed out its now day 5. What should I look for ,the mastitis??
She is warm down there and it looks like she has a tuck under her bellie. When she licks her scare it folds in alot and the 2 teets stick out ? What do you think??
I will try to copy a few line from a good Vet site....about mastitis that can occur when spaying a pregnant female. I will also give you a link to the complete site of 'what can go wrong when spaying' I suggest you read it all and if you think this is what kitty has I would take her to the Vet asap...I know you don't want to stress her but it could save her life....in the case of mastitis or other inflammation going on.
good luck hon to you and kitty, please keep us posted...♥

QUOTE:
So where does this fit in to ovariohysterectomy (spaying surgery) and mammary hyperplasia?
If you desex a cat who has just finished her heat (i.e. a cat in diestrus) or who is pregnant, you are effectively spaying a cat with fully-functioning corpus lutea: i.e. a cat with high blood progesterone levels. The consequence of this can be the same as the situation that occurs during birthing. The sudden drop in blood progesterone levels caused by ovary removal can result in the cat's pituitary gland secreting prolactin which, in turn, can result in the newly spayed cat lactating or, in severe cases, developing massive mammary gland enlargement (a condition called feline mammary hyperplasia).

The lactation is not a problem so long as the owners of cats about to be spayed whilst pregnant or in-heat are aware of the possibility of it occurring. If lactation does occur, the mammaries will need to be monitored for signs of mastitis. If mammary hyperplasia occurs, however, this can be a far more serious and potentially debilitating problem. Hyperplastic mammaries are at high risk of ulceration and life-threatening mastitis and, should prolactin-suppressant drugs (e.g. bromocriptine at 0.25mg SID) fail to resolve the issue, then complete mammary gland resection (surgery to remove the udders) may be needed to resolve the situation.

Authors note: A similarly dramatic, non-painful mammary gland hyperplasia condition is also known to occur in entire undesexed female cats or entire/spayed cats treated with progesterone drugs. The mammary enlargement is thought to be the result of high progesterone levels (or progesterone level fluctuations) in the cycling cat. In these cases, antiprogesterone drugs (e.g. aglepristone) and desexing the cat is the recommended course of treatment as it removes from the body the source of progesterone and progesterone fluctuation. Mammary gland resection may be required if severe ulceration or mastitis occur.

this is a link to the entire site:

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/spaying-cats.html#complications-spay

TOP
Its nine days since my cat Petal got spayed she didnt get it on her stomach its above her leg ive to bring her in in the morning to get her stitches removed the first night she pulled off her collar and was at her stitches but didnt remove them about the sixth day i decided to let her out which i regret shes got a lump on the area and theirs clear liquid coming out of it im so worried will they have to open up the area again and leave the stitches in for another 10 days
its sometimes possible to have an allergic reaction to the stitches themselves, Vet will most likely remove and give kitty an antibiotic, good luck
OMG!! I thought it was just me who thought there's something  anthropocentric about this "overpopulation problem" argument folks like to make regarding cats and spaying/neutering them. The nerve! There is plenty of room, space, resources for EVERYTHING/ONE. I find it's a certain group that likes to decide for all what's enough for whom and when. God complex to say the least.. very very annoying.
please tell me your joking.  because if your not then you really need to do your homework.  go down to your local animal control center and ask them if over population is an issue.  better yet just go there and look at all the cats that are there for adoption and determine for yourself.  here are some facts for you

Start with one unspayed female cat who produces three litters of 4.5 kittens in one year. Then suppose each of these kittens finds a mate and reproduces at the same rate, and so on for the following generations…all while the original female continues breeding, too. If none of these cats are sterilized, how many cats will you wind up with?
Year 1: 14

Year 2: 203

Year 3: 2,754

Year 4: 37,193

Year 5: 502,119

Year 6: 6,778,620

Year 7: 91,511,383

and that is just one cat.  think about how many unspayed cats there are in the country and decide for yourself if its an issue or not
Well said....and so very true, count how many cats/kittens are euthanized each and everyday b/c there are no homes for them...to spay or not isn't an option!!!!
I had my cat spayed a week ago and she has not been the same since...she won't eat but she will drink a little water.  She is throwing up blood and is getting very skinny and I am very worried about her. Does anyone know what might be happening to my baby?
My cat got fixed yesterday and is it normal for them not to used the bathroom for a few days?
My kittens just got spayed yesterday and the vet let them sit in their pee. So I am wondering if I can bathe them ?
no....just use a warm damp cloth and clean them as well as you can, don't try to bath for at least a week until the incision is healed over:)
My kitten was spayed on halloween 10/31/13 and she seems to have a good attitude but I noticed where her incision is at the end closet to her tail she had a bit of discharge or fluid.  Should I contact the vet or just continue to check it throughout the day?  Is this normal?  My mother is an O.R. nurse and just thought it was some discharge fluids from surgery but I am not sure.  Kittens are not just like humans.  Please help.
there really shouldn't be any discharge 5 days post op....is the incision redder where the discharge is oozing from? really wouldn't hurt to contact the clinic...my clinic usually calls me a few days after any surgery to check if there are any signs of complications....so yes call them!!
I somehow agree with you.I had my cat spayed after reading that not having her spayed would be an irresponsible behaviour. The operation is not an easy one and the poor creature suffered for long and now she hates us all and feels betrayed and hides under the bed once she sees us. She was once a happy affectionate kitty who liked to sleep in my lap and purr peacefully...not any more. I think this spaying neutering propaganda is just another means to make vets rich. I understand that if male cats had a very simple operation called vasectomy rather than being castrated , they can still mate without getting the female pregnant and this way, she doesn't bother you with her heat cycles as well and everybody is happy. Vets don't do this operation because they make a lot of money spaying and neutering cats rather than allowing them a natural life.
I couldn't have said that better myself. There are NO attacks from me on this and I do agree!!  Thank you for posting this. Took my cat to get fixed and she's been throwing up A LOT and now is throwing up blood. Her stomach looks like, well it looks like she had her internal organs just removed. It's all sunk in and looks like a horrible starving cat off the streets. When she went it she was fat, (a good fat) and healthy. Now she looks like ****!! And her personality is crap now. She looks miserable. So now I have to take her back to that stupid vet to see if there is infection. I just can't believe this. Ppl, if you don't want kittens, leave them INDOORS!!! That the humane way to deal with this. Why put them through **** like this when there is no need!!! And your so right, there is no over population of cats. The weak ones won't make it therefore will be food for another animal. If your stupid go watch the lion king. It explains the CIRCLE OF LIFE. Uhhhh I hate vets, I hate doctors. I'm finished with my rant, but livefreeordie, yay for you!! Like I said, I couldn't have said it better than you!!! <3
My 6 month old kitten was spayed today, and sent home with a e collar, she has already managed to get it off twice, and absolutely hates it, she ha already eaten and wanted cuddles and followed me around the house, but her home for the next week is confined to our second bathroom, but I think she may have pulled her stitches out already, havent been able to get a good look just a quick one, can't seem to see any stiches and a little discharge watery slight pink, might ring the vet in the morning
There are other concerns with spaying a pet, whether they are indoors or not.  My 13 year old cat JUST got spayed because I felt the way you did.  She was always a very healthy cat.  I felt that spaying them was cruel and they had no choice.  However... it's agonizing and extremely stressful to not only the pet owner but the animal itself too when it gets an infected uterus.  The ONLY solution to PYOMETRA (look it up.. ) is to have surgery to remove the puss filled uterus.  Sure, there are holistic approaches.. but, I don't live in an area where I can just go see a holistic vet (which would be MY preference) but that isn't an option for me.

Ok fine, you don't feel that it's fair to spay a cat or dog because of overcrowding.. but.. how about watching your beloved member of the family die and there's nothing you can do about it?   if money is your concern.. in my area, a routine spay (which a pyometra surgery is a lot more complicated and delicate) is around $120.. and I just payed $2800 for a pyometra surgery.  She was critical for 4 days in the hospital, lived on nothing but fluids for a week, and now it's a week and a half after surgery and she's fine.  

On your rant about your kitty's personality change.. of course it's going to change.. have you never known a woman who acted differently after she got her tubes tied or had a hysterectomy?  The hormones are different.. do I feel it's cruel anymore?  no, because I would do anything to keep my kitty alive and healthy.   I don't care about the overcrowding pet population, and I don't like doctors or medicine in general, but.. I have to say that the vet that took care of my cat, saved her life.  
Hi Wync,

Please let us know how your Baby is doing. I just read this post and am terribly worried about her. I hope she has been seen again by your vet and did not have an infection!!!

Thank you,
Please update us, Wync!

CML
i just got my kittie done.instead of the cone used the baby pf with the snaps and have it so she can go the bathrm.works perfect and she can lay down better.cut the sleeves short and put her legs in.then just pinned a little so it would not fall off/
Last week on Tuesday afternoon we had one kitten spayed and one male neutered. It is now Sunday, the girl kitten is doing fine, the male is not.
I think this is very unusual. We took him back to the veterinarian yesterday who found no problems but did put him on antibiotics. He has a fairly hard
place under the skin where he goes to do number 1, and we cannot get him
to drink or to pee. I have been giving him water in a dropper several times a day and he did drink some chicken broth this morning. He is eating fine. I
am most concerned that he is not peeing. He is running, playing, i actually have to watch he doesn't hurt his sister the girl kitten that was just spayed.
I am very concerned about him, she goes back to get her stitches out on the 20th in 5 days although you cannot see much of the stitches sticking out anywhere, they are mostly internal, but we have had no drainage with either of the kitties.
It is now day 7, both cats play and eat well. neither is drinking however at this time. They are both going to the bathroom with no problems to the best of our knowledge. We have running water from a fountain that pours down probably four inches from the top. They always loved the water before. We cleaned out the fountain to make sure the water is fresh. We are both watching them to see if they are drinking. We took the boy kitten over to the fountain and put a
litter water on his lips. He doesn't want it at all. He is still on his antibiotics
for a few more days.
Hi  Fancy,

Please call your vet and tell him your concerns. Did the vet feel the lump?

If so what did he say it was? Did he take x-rays or at least give your little boy IV fluids for dehydration?

.....and what were the antibiotics for -- what kind of an infection does he have, Vets should not be giving out antibiotics without the exact cause of the infection.

Please let us know updates-- I am also worried for your little guy.
CML
Benji, my 6 month old male tuxedo kitten was neutered this past Friday. He came home thrilled and completely normal with a hefty appetite. However, it is now  Tuesday and he has been vomiting since early this morning (clear). And has been eating and drinking normally, I know this because he leaves his toys in the water bowl & after i shower he licks the excess off the tub. I looked at his incision and it looks fine. Its below the incision that is red and inflamed. I caught him licking Saturday morning, the morning i picked him up, after they gave him to me in a pillow case?!! I honestly think it just from him licking him self but i can't recall seeing him do it after saturday. I don't want to take him back to the vet, as he didn't like it nor the car ride. Should i wipe the area with peroxide and maybe a little alcohol?
I would use peroxide on it and no alcohol.

The vomiting could be caused by antibiotics if they put him on them. Or, if they gave him shots at the same time as the neuter, which I'm totally against because it totally stresses the immune system, it could be caused by that too. Or, it could be totally unrelated.

Keep an eye on him and let us know how he's doing.
Hi Vanna,

At least call the vet and tell them what is going on. If he has been vomiting since this morning he will probably need IV fluids. I am wondering if he is eating why no food is being regurgitated, just liquid.

I would call the vet and if need be take him back for him to be checked out---know the visit is stressful, but if need be he must go back.

Please let us know how your little guy is doing, K?

CML
Hi, I got my 6 month old spayed today and I feel horrible. She hasn't eaten a thing since yesterday. She doesn't want me around around and was making lot of crying noises. She has since retreated to under my bed. How long does the pain lasts? I feel horrible for making her go through with this procedure.
Was she given pain meds for at home??? This is not normal...esp. The crying noises, if she isn't eating and feeling more herself by morning rush her back in. Good luck and keep us posted
A person that would get their cat spayed & NOT get pain medicine for their cats is out of their mind!! You should feel bad for not getting pain meds, not feel bad because you had her fixed. OMG We're talking $7 extra & she had a hysterectomy which is a major surgery. Please, people... Would you have a hysterectomy & not have any pain relief? My cats don't usually require it for the full 2 weeks but I give their pain meds as prescribed for at least the first 7 days & watch them to see how they're doing & depending on how they're doing is what decides if they need it any longer. Every cat is different & it seems like the younger ones handle it better but are more needy. Older cats prefer to be left alone other than petting & even then some of mine were fine & some got mad & didn't want me touching them. For a cat of any age to get somewhat back to normal is about two weeks which is how long they're are prescribed the pain meds. So this says to me, it's at least two weeks before she is really out of pain & back to being somewhat herself. It takes a full six weeks just like a human to fully recover from a hysterectomy. I had a hysterectomy & while I know a cats threshold is much higher for pain, I can tell you the first week is extremely painful. In the future should anyone get their cat fixed please spend the extra $7 for pain relief.
i don't really know whats happening to your cat/kitten because mine just got spayed today and i suppose you should really bring your cat/kitten to the vet for a checkup
We just had our two female kittens fixed. Five mths old, one five lb. other six lb. This is four days post op. Cat one is just fine other than wanting solitude. Cat two is now just sleeping, oh yes and both are moving very gingerly. We gave pain meds but they want to rip and tear. We've only given three doses of meds. I am more towards they will hurt themselves, wife is more "they are in pain, they are just laying around" anyway the issue is there is a moist spot on the incision. It's not red nor hot. Wife is afraid of infection, as am I but I think we should give it another two days (if there are no other signs of infection.) And they are both eating and drinking. And using the litter boxes ok. I guess the question is is that moist spot for sure an infection?  Our vet is great, one of the doctors would run into their office no problem even though it's Sunday. I just hate to be overreacting. Anyone have any thoughts? You all have a good day!
I adopted a one yr old female from the shelter . They said she had a reaction of some kind and they wanted to make sure she was ok . I saw her sun and they told me she was available on tues . Shouldn&#x27;t the shelter have told me to get her pain meds . This is my first cat . I try to look at her incision it has three Lumps . You are not supposed to cram her stomach just around the edges . My cat also smells terrible . Like she is dirty and smells. Like poop . But they said. Do not wash her until 3 weeks . Her incision looks ok but I&#x27;m getti her to a vet next week . Today she is not eating at all and is hiding under the bed . The cat is very shy . Her odor is really bad
Take her to vet immediately tomorrow
The moist spot is possibly just some seepage, could be a start of infection....but not anything requiring an emergency clinic visit on a Sunday, wait and see how it looks tomorrow....((hugs to kitties))
Hi, lumps are common for a few weeks after a spay, it's the muscle scar tissue, will slowly go down to normal. Does she have dried feces on her, or perhaps just gassy?? No baths, but can gently give her bottom a wet cloth wipe.
She is likely hiding due to some pain, also fear of her new surroundings..kitty has been thru a lot this week with surgery plus a new home.
Make sure she has a safe room with food water a litter box that she can use and let allow her some privacy to get used to everything as she needs.
Do check her insision daily to make sure it's not becoming red and more swollen. Also be sure she is eating and using the litter box else she will need to revisit her Vet
A REACTION TO WHAT EXACTLY and WHAT symptoms did she have??
I had my two cats fixed on 2/18, the male is fine, eating drinking and using the litter box, have a cone on him just to be safe. My female is eating gradually, she's had water twice since brought home friday (2/19) but has not used the litter box. she sleeps and lays around. i'm just mostly concerned that she hasn't used the litter box
today is the 22nd....thats 3 days, if she still hasn't used the litter box by today she must return to the Vet clinic where she was spayed for a checkup, something is wrong, even with eating little she must at least pee!!!! please let us know