Cat ripping out fur
Recently my cat has been ripping out his fur a LOT more than normal. He's not grooming, but tearing it right out, and it's now around the hind or inside of his legs. He is around 9 years old, a black cat, neutered, less than obese, and have been giving him (probably) healthier food such as the Wellness Brand seafood dry food and Natural seafood wet food, sometimes giving him Friskies wet food as a reward. Before, his diet was all Whiskas brand, the dry and wet food that were chicken flavoured and the treats that were dairy or chicken too . He has sensitive skin- I can touch his skin very lightly and he'll reflexively try to groom himself. He has no flea problems. He has had a problem of ripping his fur out before, but it was never serious, just a tuff or two once a month. Now he's been pulling out handfuls of fur a day and there are very visible patches of bald spots. My sister has tried putting on baby clothes to keep him from reaching the spots he was pulling the fur out for a few weeks. He manages to get his way out of them and continues ripping out his fur. My sister is pregnant and I think he's been reacting ever since. I feel he is falling into a state of depression. He's not very active lately and all he has been doing is pulling out his fur or sleeping. He doesn't like any people other than me, but he doesn't mind letting others touch him unless they tease him too much. He was quite itchy under his chin but mostly when I scratch him there, which I felt bumps and scabs. It has gotten better but the fur ripping is worse.
Is it allergies? Is it depression? Should I change his food? Is there a connection to cats and babies? My cat has never been fond of little kids or kittens. I can't afford to take him to the vet if the veterinarian tells me to buy medication for him. What should I do?
It sounds to me like he is itching and that can be very uncomfortable I think you should take him to the vet for something he must be in a lot of discomfort,
yes I agree kitty is very uncomfortable. this condition is often associated with allergies. the allergies can be inhaled, ingested or environmental. the only thing I do NOT agree with unless in an absolute last resort is the use of steroids.
To start with I am glad you are changing to a wet food variety. many allergies are associated with the preservatives and grains in dry food...which some kitties are hyper sensitive too. feed canned grain free food.
and the area your kitty is pulling hair from(back legs and quarters) can also indicate a litter allergy. have you changed litters recently? or perhaps kitty is just becoming sensitive to the type he has always used, be sure its UNSCENTED or try a 'natural' form such as paper or UNSCENTED
wood chips.
stop the use of any chemicals in your home, hair spray/cleaners/candles/room freshners etc.
with people our allergies manifest themselves as a sneeze or cough...with animals it their skin/coat.

www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2141&aid=195

please keep us updated so we can help you with this......♥
Yeah, that's probably why my own kitty's problems didn't manifest themselves worse than they did when it became obvious that she had both food and environmental allergies.  I have environmental allergies myself, so I had already taken measures to remove toxins from the environment.  Kitty still scratches some, and I do still have to give her 1/4 tablet of Zyrtec when her allergies bother her the most, but I am certain that because of changes I made for myself that I helped the kitty not suffer more with the environmental allergies.