Cat with multiple myeloma - treatment and bone marrow test?
My male tabby cat is nearly 15 years old and diagnosed as most likely having multiple myeloma. He appears to be healthy with a good appetite and such. My vet has recommended doing a bone marrow test - how painful will this be for my cat and if this provides a baseline then how often would a vet do another similar test? I don't want to do tests if it doesn't help with his medical protocol.
I am concerned that starting oral med treatment may make him feel bad (and he seems to be fine now). What is typical for this type of med regime?
I would like to enable my cat to have the best quality of life possible and don't know if not treating is a better option than to treat - if giving him meds makes him feel awful then there is no point extending his life if it isn't of optimal quality.
Hi, I know how difficult this is to deal with. I know exactly how stressful this is!! But, your vet said that he might have multiple myeloma. MIGHT, so this is not definite, your kitty might also have something that is fixable, too. The bone marrow biopsy will give you the truth and will be able to tell you what the deal is and if it's fixable. Two of my cats have had this biopsy done for anemic issues and low WBCs. Guess what, both of them had fixable conditions!! They do need to go under anesthetic for this procedure, but when my cats got home they honestly didn't seem to be in pain. If you're worried about pain, maybe your vet can give him an injection for pain. I can't remember the name of this stuff, but I know for a fact that there is one.
Your cat seems to be doing really well right now-the eating and drinking is a great sign. That tells me that he feels well. I would do some on-line research about treatment options for multiple myeloma (IF he even has it) to see about chemo side effects and how much time it will give you. You'll be able to find out a lot of info on-line about this and you'll be able to make the best decision for you and your kitty.
What tests were done to make your vet suspicious of mult. myeloma?
Thanks for your kind words and great advice. Yes, I am really concerned about my cat, Simon, as we all want to do right by our furry friends. I appreciate knowing your cats seemed ok doing the bone marrow test.
Unfortunately I did a phone consult with CSU vet and he is fairly certain it is multiple meyloma (this ia after I have been working with my primary vet throughout the year). Tests thus far include 12/09 diagnosis 75% kidney failure; 7/09 follow up basic bloodwork showed unusually high levels of protein and calcium and he had lost some weight; 7/09 endocrine test; 8/09 checked basic bloodwork again - same levels; 9/09 protein electrophoresis test (monoclonal).
I was trying to find some info online about treatments and effects but didn't really come up with any good info. If you have any great resources I would appreciate you sharing.
Now that you mention it, the high calcium levels are sounding familiar to me. One of my cats that had the bone marrow biopsy had bad kidneys and high calcium levels and did NOT have multiple myeloma. He had a screwed up WBC from a thyroid med he was on. My other cat that had the biopsy had to get his RBCs checked because he was anemic.
I am very sorry that the phone consult didn't ease your mind. But, the vets can't say that it is definitely multiple myeloma w/ out the biopsy. My cat had the elevated calcium and it was NOT cancer. There are other causes of high calcium levels. I wish I could remember some of the other causes-I looked it up before years ago. The high calcium levels are the reason that they are suspecting mult. myeloma. And, I'm not blowiing smoke up your booty either-about other causes of high calcium levels. In fact, I'm going to do some researching right now.
I shall return!!
PS-Try to stay positive and remember that this is NOT a definite diagnosis and your kitty is sooooo obviously feeling well right now. That is good!!!
so sorry for Simons problems
do you're research like ZQ says if the bone marrow test can be painless than at least you would know what you are dealing with!
If thats what it turns out to be...in my opinion I wouldn't put Simon thru further tests and procedures, but that is up to you!!
I just know for a fact that 'in people' muliple myeloma is uncurable and is usually a very painful condition...
don't mean to scare you and I sure hope that you have better news if you do go ahead with the test.
all the best to Simon and his loving mommy
I wonder how this turned out for Simon? My cat has multiple myleoma they think pretty surely. I know the test will tell me definitively but i hear it's painful. Since my cat's condition is pretty advanced, i'm not sure if this will be a good idea to put him through this.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.