Cats Community
What should I do

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

What should I do

My cat has been at the vet for two months now. We almost lost him to crystals. We did the surgery to remove his penis because he kept getting blocked. Now, due to the constant straining, he tore his rectum. It has been three weeks since the tear and it still is not healing. The vet said that we either have to wipe him every time he poops or we have to put him to sleep. I love him and he is only two years old. I am not sure what to do.
I am sorry that your family is going through this.  This is such a tough situation to be in!!  What came to mind after reading your post was that a rectal tear can be surgically fixed.  I'm also wondering how a rectal tear could happen with urine crystals.  Did he have constipation, too?  I'm just wondering, because I've had a cat that had the crystals, too.

If your vet says that surgery is not an option, I'd have them call and consult other vets to see if they've got some ideas.  I'd be willing to bet that some other vets will have some ideas.

Best of luck!!!!  =D
You have come to very good forum. The kitty cat lovers on here are genuine, loyal, kind and have knowledge on many things. I cannot offer you advice. I will leave that to the others on here. I though can say I am only truly sorry about your beloved cat. I very much know how you are feeling. I just spent weeks trying to get my 15 yr. old cat Hissie back on her feet. And it was a battle, but one that we thank god won. She went through intestional surgery, numerous trips to the vet and stays at the vet's. I thought I would lose my mind over my sick old girl. But, the people on this forum pulled me through all this. With wonderful advice and encouragement. I thought we were going to lose Hissie. I was just waiting to hear those dreaded words from the vet, that we would have to put her down. I agree take your kitty to another vet. I believe that rectal tears can be surgically repaired as well. Your cat is young and obviously a fighter. Don't give up. My cat was old and pulled through tough intestional surgery. My cat just spent 2 days at the vet's this week for constipation. So, cats do get very constipated. I am saying a prayer for you and your sweet cat. I so understand your concern and love for your kitty.
I think if you put a cat to sleep that isn't fatally ill. you will regret it for as long as you live.  Look into surgery as zodiacqueen suggested, and.... even if you have to wipe kitty's butt, it seems a whole lot better than the alternative.   this is not a decision you should let your vet bamboozle you into.  get a second opinion.  Keep doing your own research.  Try the alternatives. This decision is permanent and you don't want to find out later that you could have done something else.  I learned the hard way with a dog.    Good for you coming here and reaching out.  I wish you the best of luck in navigating your way through this hard time.
I think that Zodiacqueen is correct about consulting another vet.  I always advocate getting second and third opinioins if you are not absolutely certain that you are getting the correct care for your cat.

Have you consulted your vet about diet and, very importantly, dehydration issues?  Something as seemingly simple as that can cause this kind of thing.  Cats have very specific dietary and hydration needs that are often not met by normal cat food regimens.  If you haven't looked into this, I recommend doing so immediately!  Crystals and constipation are two very common side effects of chronic dehydration.

Are you able to stay with your cat so that you can wipe him after he goes to the litter box?  If not, is there someone you can get to watch him until the issue is resolved?

Keep us posted, ok?
Mrs Savas is so correct on diet. I about lost my cat Hissie to what I was feeding her. Commercial catfood such as Nine Lives. Read some of the posts to me on here about diet. These wonderful people on this forum educated me on proper diet for my kitty. I am now a firm believer in giving my cat Hissie and Paradise non commercial catfood. And do as much research on the net as possible concerning proper diet, etc. I thought I was being good to Hissie by feeding her what she liked. And what I was really doing was helping in making my old girl sick. Please get a second opinion if at all possible. I was beside myself worrying, that the vet would tell me I would have to put Hissie down. If she had of suggested that, I would have found another vet. I am so hoping your dear kitty gets better and that you find answers for this situation. Just hang in there. Me and Hissie did and now Hissie is doing good. But, listen to these good people on this forum. They have great knowledge on cats. I listened to them and now my kitty is better. Bless your kitty and you during this tough time.