Cats Community
crystals

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

crystals

two years ago my cat almost died from crystals because i waited tool ong to take him to the vet.  this morning i noticed he couldnt urinate, please tell me what can i do from home instead of taking him to the vet because im an RN and i dont get out of work until late.  so please help me.. again what can i do from home to make the cat better without having to take him to the vet?  P.S.  he hatesssssssssssssssssss drinking water.
Grant it, I agree that my post is a little evil.  Do you realize how annoying, depressing, and heart breaking it is to read some of these posts?  Normally, I am not evil, and a lot of people think that I'm helpful (okay, assuming...here).  

This poster has already said that her cat almost died from crystals.  I've also had a cat get blocked from crystals and his bladder almost burst.  His bladder was soooo close to bursting.  They had to stick a catheter in to get rid of the blockage-that was the only way to prevent the bladder from bursting.  This poster ALREADY knows that her cat almost died from the crystals.  So she already knows the cat needs to see an emergency vet or the cat will die.  If this were a simple bladder infection, then I'd agree with you on the antibiotics.  This is not simple and this person who posted KNOWS this is life-threatening.

The person that posted this thinks that some kind of magic wand will fix her cat....NOT!!!  It took the vet to save her cat's life the first time, and she seems to think that we have supernatural powers that'll fix her cat????  OH......PLEASE!

So, these kind of threads bring out the worst in me, when I KNOW that the owner knows better!  

Here is some info about urine crystals.  Please check it out, it's a good article.  Just copy and paste this link!

http://www.cathealth.com/Blockedcats.htm
Can I please ask you what you're feeding your cat? I am sure his diet is causing this. Would you give some info on what you're feeding him?
Unfortunately, with a serious blockage, treatment from home isn't always an option. antibiotics will help with infection, it won't necessarily help with the blockage.

So you do run the risk of something going wrong. The diet suggested above will help in the long run (although if it doesn't involve wet food, it won't help much) once your cat passes the crystals.

Otherwise, you can try placing kitty on a heating pad to elevate body temperature. It may help things along. Don't do this if your cat is running a fever, though.
*sigh*

I'm just going to be utterly boring and point out that we all have our good days and bad days so lets try not to take anything to personally around here.

Savas himself has just had the kind of day that would make Saint Francis Of Assisi Kick Puppies, so he can sympathize with everyone's viewpoint on this one, from the original poster right on down line.

That said, remember that life doesn't always give us the ideal situation; so we do our best to learn from our mistakes and try not to repeat them...too many times. ;-)
Do you still have the cat that gets blockages?  You can try a natural diet.  From what I've read the commercial cat foods, including the so-called junk you get at the vet's office CAUSES crystals to form.  If I'm remembering right, I think it's the high phosphorous that these foods contain.  You could try to give your cat raw meat, just like a cat would get if it was living in the wild!  I've read some really awesome things about going the natural route with their food.  It can prevent cancer, kidney disease, prevent crystals, and is great to help keep their teeth and gums healthy.  But, in the wild they EAT the bones, too-this cleans their teeth and gives kitties a natural source of calcium.  Can't beat it!

What's really sad is that the cats in the wild are healthier than our pets!  Our pets shouldn't be unhealthier than the cats in the wild.  That is a bunch of BS to me. The natural food diet is the best way to go to keep our babies healthy, but the only tricky part is finding the right vitamins and minerals to add to the meat.  Me and my friend are doing the research on it now.  We've got soooo many different opinions that it's really hard to figure out which one is right.  GGRRRR!!  Oh, another good thing about this diet is that it is less expensive than the commercial junk!

You are right, though-the blockages do happen quick.  I found my cat laying on his side, he wouldn't move, and his belly was swollen.  When I saw him, I knew I had to get him to the vet ASAP.  Ya just know by looking at them!  I had more than one cat, and didn't notice that he hadn't been peeing.  That is so much easier to see when you have only one cat.  I felt very guilty, but live and learn.  I only have one now and I know to look for pee every day and some poop every other day.

Hope that you got some good info from that site!  If you get bored, check out how awesome the natural food diet is!

ZQ

Check for your brand on-line, maybe you can find yourself a good deal.  I've found some killer deals on-line.  It's worth a try!  Your cat doesn't like raw meat, maybe you didn't marinate it or put the right spices in it. LOL  Some cats are picky as "H".

Have you ever heard of using kitty supplements with cranberry?  I think the supplement will say something like "urinary health".  It comes in a pill, this might be worth a try, too.

I'm glad to hear that the poster's cat is doing better.  She was very lucky that the antibiotics worked.  She might not be so lucky next time.  That is too scary to me to take the chance by assuming that it's only a bladder infection when the cat can't pee.
My cat has had crystals a couple of times. I always take him right to the vet crystals are extremly painful for your cat and they will let you know when they have them. Cats who are prime for crystals are usually obese, neutered, and on a diet high in minerals. I strongly suggest for the sack of your kitty to take him to a vet nurses arn't vets not even close. I will say that I put my cat on sciience diet which is low in mineral content and he hasn't had any problems sense. Hope this helps!!