Cats Community
lose of controll of hind quaters

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

lose of controll of hind quaters

After many bucks and 3 vets Im no closer to an answer than when I started. 1 Year old cat, slowely lost controll of hind quaters. Cat still manages to get around, its allmost like back and leg muscles have antropied, or rear doesnt want to coperate with front. Considered spinal damage but its not that now Im open to any advice.
Tags: cats
Hi, your child is soooo young to be dealing with this!  I also know, by too much experience, how frustrating and upsetting it is to take kitty to a bunch of different vets with no answers.  

Well, I've got a few ideas for you to think about AND a couple of questions.  First some questions.

1.  What all has kitty been tested for?  Please tell me everything that has been done.  This will also help the other members on here make some more suggestions.

2.  Is kitty indoor or outdoor or both?

Okay, some of my ideas.....I'm thinking of a possible lower spine disk problem.  And, my other thought is a possible heart problem.  There is a heart condition that kitties can get, even young kitties, called cardiomyopathy.  This causes blood clots to enter the blood stream and cause blockages in the vessels leading to the lower legs causing this weakness.  I pray that it's not the cause of your kitty's problems.  An echocardiogram will give you this information.  I would ask the vet about this possibility.

My fingers are crossed that you and your kitty get the information that you both deserve.

ZQ

First, I'm so sorry for your kitty and the stress this must be causing your family.  Have you googled this problem?  I went ahead and did that and came up with several suggestions of how this could happen.  This happened to my own cat...she was 3 and we never knew why she ended up that way or the cause because after $2500 and no answers, we had to put her down.  

Some problems I've read are (and I'm sure this is only a few)

Blood Clot
Diabetic Neuropathy (has she been tested for diabetes?)
Pinched vertebral disc that is bulging upward and compressing the spine.

Strangely, but there is a cat in my neighborhood who walks around like you describe...like the rear doesn't cooperate with the front.  

Best of luck and I hope you get some answers soon.

...one other question.  Do kittys pupils seem to be normal?
Kittys pupils are normal and had  x ray, no bulging disc. Havent had the diabetic test done but will.Been trying to find about woble leg in horse to see if there could be any conection.