Chemotherapy Expert Forum
HDC/stem cell rescue for IBC

Welcome to the International Chemotherapy forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

HDC/stem cell rescue for IBC

I had HDC/ stem cell rescue in addition to other treatment for IBC in 1996-97.  Are there medical centers currently in the US or elsewhere which offer HDC/stem cell rescue for IBC?  Is there any study following up those who had a successful outcome from this therapy?
In the 1990's, high dose chemotherapy followed by stem cell rescue was an investigational approach for many solid malignancies including invasive breast cancer. With the arrival of many newer and more effective chemotherapy drugs and monoclonal antibodies against breast cancer, the HDC with stem cell rescue has been somewhat relegated to the back burner, especially because it is associated with many side effects.
You had this therapy over 12 years ago. Was it a part of a clinical trial? Please consult the institution where you underwent this procedure for a discussion of the results and outcomes of other patients who were similarly treated.
All the best, and God Bless!
Thank you for your response.  I was not in a clinical trial.  Because my inflammatory breast cancer was not a solid malignancy the doctors at UCONN (University of Connecticut) Medical Center thought the HDC/stem cell treatment would be very effective.  
Although the transplant clinic has closed, I will try to get in touch with someone who was involved there.  I am concerned that the prognosis for women with an IBC diagnosis is still pretty poor even with newer chemotherapy and that the stem cell approach is not being reconsidered at least for this specific rare form of cancer.

Thank you again for responding to my question.

Laurie4896

It is great to hear that you are doing well 12 years after being treated for inflammatory breast cancer.

Meanwhile you could perhaps get some information from the following link:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=inflammatory+breast+cancer+AND+stem+cell

All the very best!