Is 96 degrees body temp normal?
I have so many questions, I feel like a weirdo asking them all here. But since I found out about chiari, I want to know if this stuff is normal. I have both types of sleep apnea. Sometimes, I wake up freezing my rear-end off. I was so tired last night I went to sleep with my clothes on, which mean also a heavy jacket. LOL. Anyway, I was covered with blankets and had my dog sleeping next to me to keep me worm. I woke up and decided to take my temp, it said I was 96.1 degrees. This is from a digital therm that is pretty new. I have always had normal temp around 98.6. I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about. By the way, my house temp is set to 69 degrees. My machine said my apneas were about 2.5, which means I stopped breathing a couple times an hour. But that is pretty good for treatment because below 5 is considered normal. Is this something that is common with chiari? Should I be worried?

Hi...Not sure if it is a normal chiari thing......my temp is typically low as well as my BP...so I am not sure since u said ur's was typically higher at the normal reading.

Do u know if u have other issues going on as well?...like a thyroid  issue like Hashimoto's? It seems to be a common thread with chiarians.

"selma"
I had all my blood work done recently. There were no issues noted regarding my thyroid. I have a small growth on my pituitary gland and my T is a little on the low normal side. Those are the only other things that I know about. I just notice that these cold spells seems to happen when my cpap numbers are elevated. I'm guessing it has something to do with my sleep apnea. But my sleep apnea seems worse when my headaches are bad. So maybe it has something to do with the chiari. HA HA this seems like a big puzzle.

I hope the ambien I'm taking is not putting me to sleep to much. The funny thing is I don't have any problem sleeping at all. In fact, when I have to sleep it is overwhelming. I take it because when I sleep I wake up tired. But if I take the ambien, I seem to get to the deeper stages of sleep.

Selma, thanks for your comments. I made a call to a specialist in Seattle today. I'm waiting for them to return my call. Hopefully, I can get an appointment and then start getting some answers.

When u had blood labs did they do the free T3 and free T4, TPO antibodies as well as TSH?....many only look at the TSH and it appears that the thyroid id "normal" when there is something amiss.

Not having sleep apnea I can not speak to that from a first hand experience and that to me is more credible than something on the web.

Sleep issues I have had were times of insomnia....but even when I could sleep, it was never a refreshed sleep such as what u described....waking up tired....no fun.

Good luck with the specialist, let me know how it goes : )

"selma"

Selma, I looked over my test results and I don't see any of the tests that you mentioned. I have a laboratory results letter from my old doc and it says thyroid function test normal. But I look at the list of tests and I do not see the T3, T4, TPO, OR TSH.

What I have is these; WBC, RBC, HGB, HTC, MCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW, PLT, MPV, Neut#, Lymphs#, Monos#, Eos#, Baso#, Neut%, Lymphs%, Monos%, Eos%, Baso%, Sodium, Potassium, Chloride, Anion Gap, CO2, Glucose, Calcium, Urea Nitrogen Blood, Creatinine, BUN/ CREAT Ratio, Protein Total, Albumin, Alkaline Phosphatase, Biliribun, Total, SGOT (AST), SGPT (ALT), Glomerular Filt. Rate, EST.

I wonder if they forgot to give me a page when I requested the records. I will call then sometime and see about those tests that you mentioned.

Most Drs when testing someone's thyroid will only look at the TSH, but since many with chiari r prone to auto immune thyroid issues they do have to do the Free T3, Free T4 and TPO antibodies as well as TSH...other wise u can have a "normal" report when there is something wrong.....

I recognize many of the items u listed, but not for a thyroid test, and if a Dr can use those to determine a thyroid is functioning normally, I have no idea...but, I would ask for a auto immune thyroid function test.

"selma"