Spina Bifida
Was going to send this to you Selma... but thought maybe others might be interested.

Early on I was told that CM is linked with Spina Bifida. This short article kind of confirms there has to be a connection.

http://www.spinabifidaassociation.org/site/c.liKWL7PLLrF/b.2700293/k.4316/Symptomatic_Chiari_Malformation.htm

CW

CW...I read about the links b4, and b4 I read the article  attached to ur link, I will say this, I know that Chiari type II which is Arnold Chiari is one that has spina bifida as well.

And in my personal family, I feel the link is on my fathers side where his brother had one boy with SB...and one of his other sons had a DD who passed away from complications of SB in the last few yrs. I truly believe this this link is a connection.
I found it interesting as one Drs PA explained to us how CM explained many of the other issues that I've had since birth. She also said my lumbar MRI showed evidence of sb in the womb. She talked to us about a specific form.... Can't remember what she called it now. But said there is evidence supporting cm causing the sb and sb causing club foot. Di didn't deny or confirm that I recall. What I do recall is my former PCPs denial. But then according to him I'm fine just a little depressed at times.

CW

Well, I do believe in the SB in womb and fell that is where the TC comes from, only our outward  sign closed, where in most SB it is still open....so, I have a sacral dimple and the cyst inside and  my cord is tethered, this all pulls on my brain stem....I know it is a birth defect,.....just waiting for more info to come out connecting it all....
Ok... I don't know the proper terms can't remember at this point.

But that PA showed us on the film well cd where it showed my lower spine had not closed until they did spinal fusion about 10 years back. Is this the 'closed' you are talking about?

CW

I have TC , so there was an opening at some point that closed...and now there is a sacral dimple and a cyst...and from what I understand had this not closed like this it would have been SB.

Meningocele

The least common form of spina bifida is a posterior meningocele (or meningeal cyst).
In a posterior meningocele, the vertebrae develop normally, however the meninges are forced into the gaps between the vertebrae. As the nervous system remains undamaged, individuals with meningocele are unlikely to suffer long-term health problems, although there are reports of tethered cord. Causes of meningocele include teratoma and other tumors of the sacrococcyx and of the presacral space, and Currarino syndrome.
A meningocele may also form through dehiscences in the base of skull. These may be classified by their localisation to occipital, frontoethmoidal, or nasal. Endonasal meningoceles lie at the roof of the nasal cavity and may be mistaken for a nasal polyp. They are treated surgically. Encephalomeningoceles are classified in the same way and also contain brain tissue.
This is quite very interesting to me since my sis has SB and has TC as well...she does have more complicated issues than I do...but we have always concluded that our conditions were somehow related, didn;t matter what docs said to us.

Thanks for the link CW.
NP my friend