Chiari Malformation Community
bicycle riding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

bicycle riding

I'm curious to see if any here have turned to bike riding for exercise.

I used to ride a lot, well that about 25lbs ago, but it was enjoyable because of the peace of mind it gives. My wife and I have been considering purchasing a couple of used bikes and giving it a shot. What concerns me is that it seems any exertion still brings on the shoulder pain and at time HAs. So I'm just curious if anyone else here has tried this for exercise and how it worked out for them.

Thanks for your input,
Wolf
I've been biking! Seems much better then a lot of other exercise options! Start off slow! I like the cruiser bikes
I haven't tried it myself but that is more due to my balance and leg issues, I am not quite there in muscle strength still and I can't use my legs that closely together (if that makes sense). But, I have read in many different articles that it is listed as one of the better exercises for ppl with Chiari so I would give it a try. Is there anyone you could borrow a bike from to try it out for a few days? That way your not stuck with paying for a bike if it doesn't work out for you. If not, then buying a used one is a good option too. Then, as I'm sure you know, stick to roads that are not bumpy!!

Good luck, I hope you find it works for you :)
Carolyn
HI Wolf...no, I would love to, but I wonder about the bumps that still get me in a car...that one they would be more jarring...and 2 I would lose control...lol....

My other issue is the position a bike puts us in....I never got a 10 speed bcuz of the posture and the way u put so much on ur shoulders and neck...I understand now Y I disliked it so much back then, but I do have an old fashion styled bike, that I may ask DH to get ready...hmmmmmmmmm I will have to find a nice level no bumps place to start : D

"selma"
PS- I was told a recumbent bike was better for those of us with back, neck issues...but u can't go newhere on one : P
I started biking before I knew I had Chiari's... by a few months. My issues were that I would occasionally lose balance, and that worries me now; and that I could feel just great, and then get to a point where my body refuses to work anymore. Makes it hard when we ride all over our neighborhood, and just going in circles around our small block is not appealing to me.

I am also concerned that the heat and exertion at the same time will bring on more headaches, as I usually get one after "pushing" a bit further than I normally do/should.

I agree with trying to borrow one. Let us know how it works out for you!
I haven't done the regular biking but got a stationary bike. i like it a lot except when my leg goes crazy but i'm pre-surgery too
Yeah, when I was younger I'd take off for the weekend after work and go 250 miles round trip to go camping on my bike. After getting married I gave it up as my wife didn't ride.
We just went out today and found what appears to be an almost new bike for her at a pawn shop. She wants to ride with our kids but because of her own physical problems we took this one with a full suspension. I'm setting it up for her so that she can ride upright not bent over, which I'll no doubt have to do as well 'if' at all. As much a car bothers me, obviously a suspension bike would be a must for me as well. I may try riding hers before I look around much for myself. None of us need more ha's. Lately it's not just the car rides it's the sun coming in the windows as well even with sunglasses and these are the glasses from the eye doctor. grrrrrrr.... oh well If you don't hear how it went that means my head exploded and that ash that is grounding planes in the UK is actually my gray matter floating around. Yeah, I told my dad the other day the problem is that my brain is so smart it just keeps growing to make room for all the new tissue so perhaps it would fill the jetstream! Ok, I'm dreaming now cause my head is killing me from going out looking for my wife a bike. Time for a chocolate bike.

Wolf
Hey Wolf...I found this yr I am wearing my hat to help with the sun as well...last yr it was to keep the sun off my scar....I always had an issue with the sun even when wearing sunglasses...and that did nt go away after surgery for me either.....so , I guess I will be shopping for other broad brimmed hats  : )

"selma"
It's always given me headaches and at times blurred vision. But growing up I spent much time fishing in the boat I'd wear pol dark sunglasses. They always said it was because my eyes where to light and absorbed the sun. Maybe but... The doc prescribed these glasses to help but man today was aweful. Sun was bright but oh well as I tell the kids "Awe Look at the pretty colors!" They think I'm nuts, maybe I am.... hummmm nah I just tried it. Nuts taste good I don't.

Very short ride on my wife's bike. Not too bad. Definately have to stay on smooth roads though, well I did have a pretty good ha to start with but even with the bikes suspension I def felt every bump.

Wolf
Lol...so u actually had to check if u were nutz....LMAO...u r a pill!!

Yeah, I think we deff need special very smooth roads and no hills...at least no up hill areas...lol....

I guess this is y a recumbent bike is suggested for us : P

"selma"
Yes, I really believe that one of the recumbents with underseat steering would be much easier on the body. That was my other problem, my shoulder gives me as much problem as my neck. And yes of course they've done all the mri's and other garbage. The decompression proved the troubles there are from the chiari. But with the underseat steering that 'should' take the strain off of the shoulder. But then the price tags on these things are for folks without a mountian of medical bills to pay. :-\ Oh well, life goes on.

Wolf
lol...I hear u....mayb u and ur boys can build one....one of the first bikes was made of wood......
We actually were discussing it. My mig welder recently fried on me though. I'd have to replace that and find find a source of aluminum tubing. Titanium would be even better but I've never welded that. But then it would take more energy. Does anyone have the URL for that store where we buy more energy? It would have to be the special kind of energy that doesn't effect any chiari symptoms.
lol....too funny....I am glad we had the same idea : )

No clue on the energy store....do u know does this energy store have nething that helps with chiari fatigue???
Oh, yes, it is their absolute best seller! Problem is I swear my wife has the URL but she says that it was given to me. Now I know she is wrong because a Chiarian 'NEVER' has an ounce of short term memory loss! :-)

Wolf
Yes, same idea. But I'm just not sure this one isn't out of my reach for now. With the kids help maybe, but I have one finishing up this year in school so he's really loaded right now. To top it off he's working on getting his lawn mowing business going again. The other isn't working right now and is out of school but isn't home a whole lot. Doesn't mean we can plan... but no reality here for now. :-( I can't ask more of either of them right now.

Wolf
LMAO....so what is it  ur wife wants for the URL?...seems to me she is holding it hostage......
My opinion may be biased because I was a college triathlete before all this chiari nonsense. I loved to bike, I continued riding on my road and tri bikes up until I was no longer to use my legs like I used to be able to. I did give up mountain riding and would not suggest you try that it was hell on earth about half way through the rides before I ended up stopping. As for riding roads there are great rides and roads that are very smooth and nicely paved to ride. I don't think it aggravated my symptoms riding roads, but once in a while like you had said i would completely lose balance and wipe out (mostly in races) but just having that small part of my life remaining the same was awesome! Hope this helps!!!

:D
Unfortunately my balance as it is would be a problem however I am thinking of going for an exercise bike, because I am not working and not as active as I used to be I find it hard to control my weight problem. Swimming is some thing else I would like to try but my shoulder movement is quiet limited and painful

Ray
LOL..you guys are hilarious...

Wolf...as my Rheumy told me...do everything in small starts.. Start off with just going around the block and work up to it, you don't want to put too much strain on your body right off the start. I agree that flats road are good...I wish I had that choice but I basically live on a mountain so I don't have that option!!

A recumbent bike would be great but I hear you about the price, they are pretty expensive and not easy to find used. Have you thought about trying a stationary bike first and then working up to it?

That is one thing that makes me sad...is that we used to love going on family bike rides...and that is something that I can't do now.

Carolyn
Yes, actually I did consider a stationary as that would get my body the exercise and do away with the balance problem some here have mentioned. My balance is really better than I expected it to be though. I still get flashes every once in a while, that would be a problem as when they come I'm done, can't even stand at times until my head clears up. Thus, probably won't ever go very far.

My problem here is the roads are not taken care of very well so even the good roads are not very smooth. I think we're going to start looking around for a used bike with a full suspen and then maybe add road tires rather than the mountian bike tires, perhaps even bend up a set of handle bars that will allow me to sit upright.... or maybe my stubborn side will take a vacation and let me drop the idea.. not yet though.

Ray- good to hear from you buddy! Hope all that volcanic ash isn't effecting you over there to much.

Wolf
Hi Ray...I don't actually swim either...lol....just do walking in the water as it is a means of resistance.I tried using a buggie board last year...it was a no go...ouch, if u know what I mean...not sure this year will be much diff as I am still have some issues with my neck per my bulging disk...so I will be happy to walk in the water and get some sun : D

Wolf-
I know there sell a small contraption to pedal on in a home sitting on a reg chair....not sure how that would work, but no handelbars : )

"selma"
Ray...a good idea is to see if your local pool had some kind of water rehab program. That way you can tell them the issues with your shoulder and they be able to recommend exercises you can do in the water. I think it is a good idea for most of us to consult with a trainer, get an idea of the exercises and then continue with them on your own.

Wolf..sounds like you have the same issues I do with the roads. Where I live, they have this park that has paved paths that you can bike on. If you have somewhere like that maybe you can pack up your bike and start somewhere like that?

Carolyn