?? Regarding Concerta
Hello Everyone,

I have a questions regarding Concerta.. My son was started taking meds on Thursday of last week, we started with Ritalin, which worked but only for 3-4 hrs.. at home he's ok because I can handle him, but he is still doing the same stuff he did before at school (after school program) we had another Dr's appt today and he prescribed Concerta.  How many of you give your child that? my son will be 8 in Dec.  The Dr. said it was like Ritalin, but it just last a lil longer.  I notice also that my son seems to be happier now and calmer... He does not act like a zombie.. he actually behaves like a normal lilttle happy boy.  

I really apprecite any information regarding Concerta..

my son is 8 and he has been on concerta for about 2 weeks. he takes 18mg, he does has a doctors appt friday cause it needs to be put up. watch for ticks. also i was told everytime i need a refill for him, he needs his bp and weight check to make sure the dose is right.
it is helping alot cause he was on adderall and he had very bad side effects.
good luck to you and your son
If you go to the Concerta website and scroll down, you'll find that it is Ritalin by a diffrent name.  Found it by accident when I was researching it for my oldest.  Just some helpful info :)
Thank so much.. I have to look up "Ticks" I haven't heard of that yet..
I had to take my 8 yo son off the Concerta due to Ticks.. it was getting so awful that he couldnt stop jerking his jaw back and forth, and he had a lisp on the medication.  So he is now currently off all medications and the ticks have stopped.  He was only on the medication for 1 month and this happened at the end of the first month.
i had to in up taking my son off concerta bc of chest pains, the med can causes heart problems. also i seen on the news last week that if ur child is on any of these kind of drugs that they could be check offend for this problem! wish u the best with ur son!
I find it strange that he doesn't need meds at home because "you can handle him".  Can you tell the school how you handle him and see if they can do the same ?    Is it at school he is acting up or at the after school program?  
I had the doctor switch my son's meds from concerta to adderal because he started with the twitching and grinding his teeth by moving his jaw back and forth sideways.  It also gave him nose bleeds.  I noticed it wore off pretty quickly also, it is supposed to be time released but it didn't seem to help him any.  Just made his bad habits worse.  I would def recommend switching to something else.
my son is 3 years old and is extremely violent in his preschool.  we are in the process of getting him evaluated for any other disorders. he has adhd and was put on concerta.  we had him on it for one day but the ticks were unbearable to watch.  jerking of the jaw. rubbing of the finger tips and repeating himself continuously.  should i ride it out for a couple of weeks? or is this just a side affect that will stay with him while on the meds? he takes 18 mg....is the dose to high? i know this is the smallest dose for concerta, is there anything as effective with less sight effects