Child Behavior Community
14 yr old girl psycological issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

14 yr old girl psycological issues

My wife and I, being concerned parents, routinely monitor our childs internet usage. We were reading her blog and found a post where she expressed concern about her own mental state.  She has always had a tic and phobias about people touching her neck.  She is also very sensitive to loud noises and things like fireworks and crowds.  She has panic attacks when there is a lot of commotion in a room and will either have to leave the area and calm down or shut out everything and go to a "happy place" in her head.  In her blog we discovered that she is concerned about hearing a voice and "spirits" or something watching her in our house.  About the voice; she has only said that the voice will call her name at a certain time every day. She says that the voice isn't in her head but is audible.  Now she is hearing another voice (the first was a boy and now this new one is a small girl).  This second voice has only said "touch me".  I don't know if the voices are confined to the school where she has heard them or if she hears them at home as well.  About the watching/spying:  She said that she feels like there is someone/something watching her in our house.  She said that it's like someone has installed web cams and is keeping an eye on her.  She said that she walks diagonally across rooms so that she can see in front or and behind her.  During the summer she is our baby sitter for her 10 yr old brother so she is never really home alone but we are concerned that this behavior may be a precurser for something larger.  
She does not display any adverse affects of these feelings.  She is an honors student and very artistic.  She will spend hours writing poems or stories and is a very talented artist.  These issues certainly haven't hampered her education (except for the occasional panic attack in school).  
We would like to know what course of action to take.

Thanks for any ideas!
I think you should be concerned.  There are parts of her behavior that really sound like she needs to seek psychiatric help - especially the paranoia.  She isn't just afraid people are talking about her and looking down on her (pretty common for her age) she believes there's a webcam installed in the house to spy on her.  Of all the things you describe,  even the voices,  it's the believe there is a webcam spying on her in her home that seems the most concern.

The good signs are that she is still mentally very flexible,  artistic,  she desires to succeed and strives for success in school,  and writes fluid poetry and prose.  It sounds like schizophrenia is probably not going to be in her future.

Best wishes.  Is she open to going to a psychiastrist for an evaluation and treatment?