Child Behavior Expert Forum
2 year old developmental/behavior problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I have been having a very difficult time with my 32 month old son for quite awhile now.  He is speech delayed with communication problems, behavioral issues, and some social issues.

He can say words, but it is usually when reapeating what others say.  Spontaneously, he will say a few things once in awhile.  Most of the time when he does try to talk, it is very hard to understand and sounds jarbled.  Though, when we talk to him, he seems to understand well and can even follow commands like, "Go downstairs and get your shoes", etc.

He has problems if his rituals are interrupted or not done the right way, for example having to hold hands while going up or down the stairs.  If it is not done this way, he will just stand there and go into a meltdown.  He is too huggy at times, pressing into me with force.  He is rough with his older brother and likes to run and jump on him, pinning him down.  He makes eye contact with his immediate family, but very wary and scared of strangers.  He will cling to me incessantly when going out in public, which is hard because he won't let me put him down without going into a rage.  He also likes to have his routines done over and over again, as if it were not done the right way and wants to perfect it.  

Other than that, he will smile when things are funny and can laugh, but most of the time, he is very unhappy, agitated, irritable, tantruming several times throuhout the day over the slightest thing.

Does this sound like a possible PDD or more like a sensory integration problem?  I am at wits end!  Thanks.

While sensory integration problems might be present, it does not sound like SI is prominent. The developmental/behavioral issues, as well as the expressive language issues, are primary. The best thing to do now is arrange for an evaluation by a team that should include developmental pediatrician, developmental or clinical psychologist, child psychiatrist, speech/language therapist and possibly occupational therapist. It could be that your son does dispay a condition along the PDD spectrum, but without a thorough evaluation it's not possible to settle on this.
Thank you for your reply.  We have him set up for an extensive evaluation with the Early Intervention team in our state.  Hopefull they will be able to assess him and help us in determining what is wrong and how it can be helped.  Thank you for your opinion.
I have read your story.  Mine is similiar, my son is 26 mos.I feel my son has mild SID, I also think yours does too based on your description.A good book to read is "the out of syn child" you will probably relate to it well.My son qualifies for EI speech therapy,& I am now having him evaled by O/T because of my suspicion. He has language dalay,terrible eater,signs of perfectionism, gets upset/fustrated easily even with tasks he likes to do,lacks fine motor skills-coloring,etc., and is self-directed-doesn't always follow instruction. He even sometimes gets defensive with food items placed in front of him, that he will not eat.He pushes it away, and will scream if its near him.He craves heavy physical contact-likes to be sandwiched,and hugged tightly-all part of sensory issues,& does not like to be approached by other children-screams or grunts at them. He's not sensitive to touch, and is very loving with people he knows.He can seem so with it one day & so out of it the next.He marches to the beat of his own drum. Sound familiar? I will know for sure I guess once eval done.I didn't bother with pediatrician,they are not trained in medical school about SID-not a medical condition-therepists are as part of behavior development. What was the outcome of your sons exams/evals? Maybe we can share info. I'd appreciate the feedback.
My 27 mo son is driving me nuts I feel like crying after I try so hard all day to be patient with him...he's usually irritable whiney gets frustrated easily when something he's trying to do doesn't work...however he talks and understands instructions very well id say he's average to advanced as far as speech& motor skills goes...he can verbally express his wants& needs but doesn't take authority well as if he doesn't understand consequences...he also cannot sit still unless he's very very tired or just woke up...we can't even take him out to eat because he has fits at eating tables because he has to sit & b still...I kind of suspect adhd but I read on it and it says a lot of those kids have sppech delay & seem "spacey" but my son is quite intelligent and very active& alert...any ideas