Child Behavior Expert Forum
2year old's agressive behavior

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

2year old's agressive behavior

my 2 yr. old son has a speach delay as well as behavioral issues. He's in the project child program for about 6 months,& is doing great with his speach delay, although his behavior issues are still a problem. I've had issues with his aggressiveness scince he was 10 mths. to a year old. It started out as bitting, grabbing people, screaming, & head butting. I could see the anger in his face,it was a very difficult time for me being I didn't know how to deal with my child where I seeked medication. He is now 2 1/2 (I am no longer on medication & dealing better) still having aggresive (aggressive) behavior(he also has very loving moments. All his emotions are extream.). Recentaly he is on a "probation period" at the child care center at my gym for putting his hands around another boys neck for standing in front of the TV, & another incedant where a child took a toy away from my child & an aid tried to intervine when my son bit her.I have seeked  help from project child & had sugestions from a professional to try the fuctional behavioral assessment with an OT,as well as trying an acupuncturist.  
he is getting better scince I've been using a reward system at home,but I fear that he may have an imbalanceof some sort, & if I can't find a way to help him now the problem will just get worst when he gets older.
I am hoping you could give me a better understanding as to how to handle my son's behavior as well as what kind of professional help I should seek.
The suggestion for funstional behavioral assessment makes sense. I do not think that acupuncture will make any difference in what you're observing. The most important intervention right now is a systematic (i.e., respond the same way every time the behavior occurs) plan for behavior management. Rewards are fine, as far as they go, but at this age the key ingredient in a management approach is to utilize time out immediately when any aggressive behavior occurs. If there is a family history of mood disorder, it is certainly possible that the behavior is symptomatic of an emerging mood disorder. But, at his age, it is really a moot point. Why do I say that? Because, mood disorder or not (and there is no way to establish that a mood disorder is present), you'll need to implement a program of behavior management. And medication is really out of the question for a child so young.
My two year old grandson is exhibiting some very aggressive behavior.  He head butts his own head on anything and everything.  He hits people for no reason.  He works himself into a frenzy whenever things don't go his way.  He is extremely upset when his mom leaves the room.  His mom does daycare so he is almost always with her.  She has tried putting him in time out consistantly.  It is not working.  Mom and dad are currently seperated. We need HELP!
A related discussion, agressive behavior was started.
A related discussion, 3.5 yr old agressive child was started.