Child Behavior Expert Forum
4 year old boy touching his privates

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

4 year old boy touching his privates

My 4 year old boy won't stop touching his privates.  When I or someone else is talking to him his hands are at his privates.  When he is just sitting, working at his table, eating, reading, playing games, he is touching himself.  It is very distracting to interact with him and see that he is doing that.  I have explained to him about his private parts and that it makes others uncomfortable to see him do that and that private parts are to be kept private. He gets frustrated that people ask him constantly if he has to go potty.  I am constantly moving his hands away from there, telling him to move his hands, telling him to do something else with his hands.  Today he said he can't stop.  What do I do to get him to stop this behavior?  I try to distract him and occupy his hands but it is not enough.
If he is medically well (i.e., not experiencing discomfort in his genital area from any medical concern), you are doing all that you reasonably can. That is, when you see that he touching his groin area, tell him to move his hands from there. This will require repeated directions, because a child so young cannot be expected to remember this - it's not as if he thinks about his action each time he does it.
In additon to the direction to move his hands elsewhere, do your best to keep his hands occupied with something. Thus, in addition to saying "Stop", you are also saying "Do this instead".
A related discussion, My son is constantly itching his privates was started.
A related discussion, should 5 years old seek child psychologist? was started.