Child Behavior Expert Forum
7 year old boy sleeping with parents

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

7 year old boy sleeping with parents

I have one more question.....is it ok for your child to sleep with you?  He has slept in the same bed with us since birth ~ I originally started this because he was sick as a baby and thought that I might not hear him...He had respiratory problems....WELL, he is still in our bed.  How can I get him in his bed? He has no desire to sleep by himself...Am I a bad mom for letting him sleep w/us?
Thanks.....Anyone out there have any ideas on what I can do or any thoughts on this.
This is another manifestation of the same problem mentioned in your previous note. That is, you've got to set limits and stick to them. There's no other solution to this.  It's up to you to determine if your son has the option of sleeping in your bed. If you don't want him to be sleping in your bed, set the limit and stick to it.
I don't have the same situation going on but I am reading an amazing book.  I know some people don't agree with it but even if you don't follow the suggestions there is a lot of helpful information in this book about a childs sleep habits and such.  This book has helped me to understand the best way for me to get my 22month old daughter to sleep through the night.  She has been sleeping through for the past 2 weeks so it has been very helpful.  My daughter wasn't as extreme as some of the case studies so I didn't follow the rutines to the T but the book was still very helpful.

Solve your child's sleep problems by Richard Ferber M.D.
Good luck!
My Son has the same issue. He is almost 5 and I have to sleep with him. This is the least of my issues but it is straining on an adult relationship...I wouldn't say you're a bad Mom, I think it's a great thing to do the family bed. However once they reach a certain age like our children of course they should be in their own bed. If you were persistant for 1 week he would be in the routine by the end of the week..it is the matter of being persistant like anything else, which is my problem:(