Child Behavior Expert Forum
ANGER AND DEPAKOTE FROM AN ADULTS PERSPECTIVE!

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I'VE BEEN TAKING DEPAKOTE FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS AND HAVE ALSO HAD VERY TROUBLING PROBLEMS WITH MY ANGER. AND AS A RESULT, HAVE BEEN ASKED TO LEAVE MY HOME BY MY SOON TO BE EX-WIFE. I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE ANYONE WHO IS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS TO DISCONTINUE THE MEDS AS SOON AS IS MEDICALLY SAFE AND POSSIBLE. DEPAKOTE CAN AND DOES CAUSE UNPREDICTABLE BOUGHTS OF ANGER. TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS SEEN ITS DESTRUCTIVE EFFECTS FIRST HAND! P.S. I'M  SLOWLY TAPPERING OFF DEPAKOTE AND WOULD GLADLY TAKE BACK THE HELL OF MANIC-DEPRESSION TO AVOID WHAT I'VE BEEN THROUGH!
Dear Mr. Doran,

One thing that is important to remember is that Bipolar Disorder really does need to be treated with medication, but there are options about which mood stabilizing medication to employ. If one does not work effectively, another might. Always make decsions about medication in conjunction with your doctor.
In response to Mr. Durand, I, on the other hand, take Depakote to control my anger.  Without it, coupled with Prozac, I am a miserable, rotten b****.  Though, I certainly understand that everyone's body chemistry is different.
I lash out at everyone around me and experience explosions of anger that I can't keep inside.  Rage spews out of me like venom.
So for the gentleman that responded terribly to Depakote, there is hope.  You just have to find the right medication and be as thorough as possible with your doctor so that he or she understands the symptoms and ramifications or your particular illness.  Without the right med.s, people with mental illness couldn't have any semblance of a life.  I thank God that there are medications out there, two in particular that saved my life.