Child Behavior Expert Forum
Behavior problem of Urinating on Toys and Carpet

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I have a 5 & 1/2 y.o little girl who recently started urinating on things other then going in the toilet. For example, she urinated on the carpet outside of my shower, she has urinated on the carpet in the hallway outside her bedroom and most recently I caught her taking 2 of my younger childs (11 mo old) toy animals dropping them in the toilet, then urinating on them and then taking them out of the toilet and putting them in the garbage can. I had not walked in the bathroom until she was throwing the animals into the garbage can...I remained calm and asked her exactly what happened. She told me exactly what she did and when I asked why she would do something like that she just replaid " I don't know". She denied feeling angry at either of her sisters or her mommy or daddy. Over the past several months she has been more devious and secerative. For example if I tell her not to do something or take something out that I just put away, she will wait until I am not looking or have gone into another room and she will go get what I asked her not to. Time out's are no longer working for her. I started having her do chores around the house instead and that is working a little better. I am not sure if the urinating is part of a phase children go through or anger or what. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.  
Your daughter's behavior is not within what would be regarded as normal childhood behavior. You suspect that the behavior might be a means of acting out feelings of anger. While that may be correct, don't assume it is so. Are there any obvious reasons why your daughter might be experiencing any unusual degree of anger? Does her demeanor suggest anger, or is her demeanor devoid of angry appearance? If you think her behavior is an expression of anger, and it is not apparent why thatmight be so, you might schedule a few sessions with a pediatric mental health professional for the purpose of understanding what is occurring. On the behavior management front, continue to set reasonable limits re: your expectations that she 'do what she is told'  and that she refrain from urinating anywhere but in the toilet.
Children who have been sexually abused sometimes demonstrate the same sorts of behaviors you are describing in your daughter. I really encourage you to search your mind: is there ANY possibility this could have occurred?
I have problems with my son urinating on the floor.  My situation my be totally different in regards to the fact that he has special needs.  He gets very angry and will urinate right in front of me on the floor/carpet.   I would definitely call the pediatrician and get her/his advice on how to handle this situation.  It's not easy...
I have a 4 year old foster son who we have had for 9 months now. He goes in cycles and since a regression a few months ago started he will go into his bedroom and urinate on his carpet. He even does this after he has just gone in the toilet. He has several behavioral problems. He was a drug baby and his behaviors continue to get worse. The longer he goes without seeing his mom the better he behaves. We are moving really close to termination and we are trying to keep our sanity through it all. We are getting ready to do an MRI and have a nueropyschological test done. Does anyone have any experience with this?