DON'T LIKE MY SON
How can I pretend to like my son?  He's 7 years old and is a smart mouth and does the opposite of what I say ALL THE TIME.  I've punished him but it doesn't help.  I work and my husband stays home with him.  I know my husband needs to be more consistent and supply more structure and dicipline but he doesn't.  I get to the point where I go down to the basement right when I get home from work, shut the door and stay there all night.  I can't stand to be around him.  What should I do?  I want to love him and I find myself bonding with other kids because they act the way I would like my son to act.   I'm so lost, what should I do?
OMG I can't believe what I have read ! your last post from 2009 about your son is not living with you now and you want your husband to tell him your dead??? Krissy if you still are reading this I just want you to know that I am for sure praying for you and your decisions and I mean that with all my heart...I felt so sad after reading this that I am very emotional right now..I have a 3 year old that I have had some dandy issues with but God love her heart I could never ignore her or even leave her side for just one day... the worse My daughter got the more I wanted to try and also after trying so many different things to help her I never gave up I just started looking in the mirror and found just recently that a big problem was me because I had to figure out the best way to cope with her issues and I found that when I MADE MYSELF change things (which was very hard to break the rut) I found that she started getting A LOT better!!! She has made a BIG turn around from what she was doing before and trust me if you don't beleive me you can read my main forum about ( MY 3 MONTH OLD PREEMIE BEING OUT OF CONTROL) and SPECIAL MOM can vouch for me as well cause I have talked to her about it... But things CAN change if you really search YOUR heart and YOURSELF and find the TRUE love for your child...And IF you really wanted to Love your son the way you First posted then you could have tried harder and not by ignoring the fact that you are a parent. And you say you believe in God and Jesus well just ask yourself this...."WHAT WOULD JESUS DO"? We sin everyday and do things that God doesn't want us to do even the worst back talking sas mouth around or the biggest drugy you can find but God has NEVER left their side because BY GRACE OF GOD we are redeemed and he will NEVER leave us nor forsake us! And God blessed you with that boy for a reason again search your heart to find the reason because God DON'T make mistakes!  I wan't saying any of this in a harsh way I was saying it from the love from one mother to another and I pray for the best for you and your son!

Let me also add that a lot of issues from the beginning of your main post stating that you was the provider (working) and your husband stayed home? well It's very hard for ANY child to be without their MOMMY'S because the daddy's didn't have that first bond with the child nor did they deliver them as we did and that alone seems to makes a child feel sad or parted and that maybe the main reason why he would be that way with you ? I know my husband is the one that works and eve plays and goofs off with the kids but they do respect me a lot more and sass mouth him but you GOT to let your child know their boundaries whether its back talking for just plain ol' misbehaving once they get that down pat and you LEARN to stick to it like I had to learn myself you will see the true good soul of the child. But one thing to remember is to not teach your child that's its ok to walk away from life's responsibilities just because you don't like them and don't want to deal with it. It's best to be a strong man than a weak one and some body needs to teach that boy just that....sorry so long but I also had to clear my chest
Dear Krissy and Everyone who is a parent,

You say you believe in God and in Jesus, Excellent!  But, what I strongly recommend is for you to ask the Holy Spirit to walk with you in this new journey you have as a mother.  Ask Him God the Holy Spirit to help you, guide you and lead you in your life. And, pray to the God the Father for everything that is in your heart and mind.  I believe that we are all imperfects, and only God can help us love others the way we love ourselves.  Just imagine how many times we as God's children insult Him, disobey Him, disrespect Him, etc. and HE still loves us, well yes He is God so HE is the only one that can help us get through our daily life.  The fact that you keep confesing that you Hate or dislike etc your son, creates in your heart more of that feeling toward your son, remember that there is power of life or death in our tongues as Proverbs say it.  You are living in remorse thus you do not have peace and will no have peace until you stop letting the "enemy" accusing you and controlling your thoughts.  Surrender ALL to God and ask HIM for more wisdom and revelation on what to do now, PRAY for your son.  All of us Parents MUST PRAY for our children, we are living difficult times and it won't get better but it can be easier going through these times with GOD the Father, the son and the Holy Spirit.  God loves you yes HE DOES, ask Him to search your heart and take everything out to the light so that you can know how to pray.  God can heal all your wonds, restore your life, your marriage and even your relationship with your children.  I'm 100% that the "enemy" and you know who that is, has come to kill, destroy, and steal your son's life and your own, and am not necesarilly talking about physical life.  Thus consecrate your son to the Lord God and I know that I know that God will start making changes in your son's life and yours.

I could go on, but please seek God, pray, read the Word (Bible), and go to church, we parents need to do all these three if we want to succeed as parents.

Blessings to you.

Karilyn
Overwhelmed by the criticism of this poor woman. My motherinlaw raised 8 kids back in the day and she too used to lock herself in the bathroom. For all those who have well behaved very little troubled children I am jealous. I have done everything in my power every day for my son and until you've walked a mile in our shoes who are you to judge? that she had the courage to come on here for mothers words are enough for me and I applaud her. shame on you people who are not giving her support.  My son started at age 8 months and he has been a battle we fight constantly and is ongoing. I would give up my life to find something that helps him. He has no issues other than anger and frustration and sleep apnea which is a struggle for him. He hits us has numerous holes in his walls from throwing things. I am stay at home and my husband and I always spend quality time, have rewards and work with him in his struggles. He's been through counseling and has had every workup under the sun and still he is physically aggressive. This poor woman poured out her heart was honest and probably was looking for someone to just listen and all of you bashed her or most of you blamed her. Are you perfect parents? Do you parent a child like hers? You know nothing of what it is to not be able to raise your child and help them grow into adults who do not struggle with aggression. Even if her wording came out wrong I am appauled as women you were so critical of her instead of offering her support and encouragement. I know this is so long ago but I still fight this struggle and my son is a lovable, good hearted boy but I too can relate to her frustrations. It takes courage to come out and vent and I'm sure it came out at a time she was having a difficult moment. I hope you all dont treat your family as you do this poor woman who is or was obviously in need. God Bless you Krissy. I wonder how you are.
  Nice comment Lynn and I certainly agree.  It's interesting that you mention that your son has sleep apnea.  It can cause a whole range of problems which you are probably aware of .  But just in case I have included a quote below from the ADHD forum, which you might find interesting.
   "As far as the tonsils/adenoids go...
My son's were enlarged and thus were obstructing his breathing while sleeping.  This then tends to cause sleep apnea and causes the child to briefly wake up often.  This frequent waking up means that the child does not get the restful sleep s/he needs.  Now that my son's airway is more opened, he is sleeping better at night.  That means that, during the day, he is not bouncing off the walls trying to keep himself awake.  Before surgery, he was always tired and frequently cranky/grouchy but constantly going from one thing to the next in order to stay awake.
I'm not saying this will help everybody but it is worth getting checked out.  I find it interesting that it used to be that almost all kids had their tonsils/adenoids out and hardly anyone had ADD/ADHD.  Now that almost no one has them removed, it seems everybody has ADD/ADHD.  I don't know for sure how much of a link there is but I find it very interesting and I know that the surgery has helped my son."
Thank you. My son had his tonsils and adnoids out when he was 3 years old. He's been on a CPAP machine for almost a year. He has obstructive Sleep apnea. Where his airwaves close when he lies down constricting his air. This is hopefully something he will grow out of as his anatomy changes but is definitely a huge part of his struggles.  My Dr. is great and who has traveled the country believes as you have just stated that an amazing over 75% I may be slightly off of children diagnosed with ADD or ADHD are really suffering with sleep disorder. That to me is mindboggling. I had my son given ever evaluation and non of them ever found him to have any issues Thank God beside what I noticed when he was 2 1/2 falling asleep and severe crankiness. As you may know children who are sleep deprived are hyperactive and often aggressive. His kindegarten teacher even hinted maybe he needed something. I set up a camera in his room and found him sitting up gasping for air and in heavy sweats. There is such a small percentage of children with Obstructive Sleep apnea I think its 3% usually after the tonsils and adnoids are removed things to do back to normal. Sometimes when I see a parent who has their child on medication I often wonder if that child may have something as simple as sleep problems. It's sad. I'm with you 100% but we have been through it and are the lucky ones who followed through. I went through this for a long time and still because he has the CPAP. I pray for the day he is able to come off of it. He has a sleep study in Sept to see how he is. He does regress and has bad allergies as well so I know when the aggression comes he hasn't been well. My heart goes out to all those who have children that are difficult. It really is not the child or parents fault. I have been blessed with two lovely daughters who Thank God are healthy and dont suffer as he does. to watch our children suffer is hard enough and unless you have gone through it as we have no nothing of how frustrating and heartbreaking it can be. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. My son had his tonsils and adnoids out when he was 3 years old. He's been on a CPAP machine for almost a year. He has obstructive Sleep apnea. Where his airwaves close when he lies down constricting his air. This is hopefully something he will grow out of as his anatomy changes but is definitely a huge part of his struggles.  My Dr. is great and who has traveled the country believes as you have just stated that an amazing over 75% I may be slightly off of children diagnosed with ADD or ADHD are really suffering with sleep disorder. That to me is mindboggling. I had my son given every evaluation and non of them ever found him to have any neurological or learning issues Thank God beside what I noticed when he was 2 1/2 falling asleep and severe crankiness and aggression. As you may know children who are sleep deprived are hyperactive and often aggressive amongst others. His kindegarten teacher even hinted maybe he needed something (medication). I set up a camera in his room and found him sitting up gasping for air and in heavy sweats. There is such a small percentage of children with Obstructive Sleep apnea I think its 3% usually after the tonsils and adnoids are removed things to do back to normal. Sometimes when I see a parent who has their child on medication I often wonder if that child may have something as simple as sleep problems. It's sad. I'm with you 100% but we have been through it and are the lucky ones who followed through. I went through this for a long time and still because he has the CPAP. I pray for the day he is able to come off of it. He has a sleep study in Sept to see how he is. He does regress and has bad allergies as well so I know when the aggression comes he hasn't been well. My heart goes out to all those who have children that are difficult. It really is not the child or parents fault. I have been blessed with two lovely daughters who Thank God are healthy and dont suffer as he does. to watch our children suffer is hard enough and unless you have gone through it as we have know nothing of how frustrating and heartbreaking it can be. Thanks for sharing.
Hi.  I just wanted to say that I really do understand how hard it is parent a difficult child.  Lordy, I really know. . . and some days are harder than others.  It is very difficult on a parent to help guide a child with challenges through life and when their particular challenges are not socially acceptable, scary, rude and over the top . . . we have moments of frustration.  I can honestly say it has never made me dislike my son but it has made me wonder why I've been given more C rap in life to deal with than others.  (then I remember that every family has their problems).  

I think that many a parent that has children with challenges can become overwhelmed by it.  I was anxious and depressed to a clinical level when my son was being diagnosed with sensory integration disorder.  When anxiety and depression are present, it makes it really hard to handle what is going on.  That is why I mention that making sure that we parents also take care of ourselves emotionally and physically is important.  We need a break from it all to recharge the batteries.  We need to be in tune with our own mental health status and address any issues there.  This gives us the best chance of tackling the issues our children present in life.  That is my two cents on it anyway.

I also think that finding supportive people in your life is really important.  Parents of kids with issues often feel isolated and that no one else can relate.  I've felt that way before.  But I found that there are many families out there that may have a slightly different problem but are struggling as much as we are.  They are looking for support too.  So, I have found a safe group of people to support me.  Many places actually have support groups.  I talk about occupational therapists centers a lot because we 've just had such a wonderful experience there.  Besides working on the issues with my son's nervous system, they've worked on behavioral things and social aspects for him.  We did a social skills camp, for example, and all kinds with kids were there.  Some were sensory, some add/adhd, some aspergers, and some with no diagnosis whatsoever but they just needed help with social skills and friendship  building.  Great place to meet other kids and parents that relate to our daily struggles.  Not feeling alone has really helped me.

So, anyway, just mentioning some of the mental health aspects to parenting a child that has a more difficult temperament than "most" kids.  Good luck to all of us as we do our best!
I can totally understand where you are coming from!! I actually got online to find a video or movie about sending kids somewhere when they won't listen or behave at home to be taught to listen. I was going to have my daughter watch it to see how different it is away from home, and being made to listen by strangers who don't take any crap from them. Then I found this page and had to tell my story.
I have a 9 year old daughter. It took me 12 years to get pregnant due to infertility problems, I was 35 years old before I finally got pregnant, and never could have any more kids. She was such a sweet wonderful baby, but when she turned 4 she started getting mouthy. I tried when she was 2 to teach her to pick up things after herself, mainly trying to get her to help me so she would learn. My husband and mother-in-law said she was too little and wouldn't help me teach her; they did everything for her, now I have a very hard time getting her to do anything. I try telling her in a nice voice to do something, she ignores me; I wait plenty of time and she just ignores me. So then I ask her to please do something, she still ignores me, I wait again; finally I have to yell at her, then she tells me she wishes her dad was here, or she was at her grandmas because she wouldn't yell at her, (that's because she still does everything for her.) Now though she won't listen to her dad either, and he's yelling at her because she won't listen, she's the way she is because of them; I have always been the strict parent. She is still very mouthy and says things to me that I never dreamed of saying to my mom; actually my dad would have busted my mouth had I talked to my mom the way she talks to me! I hate her behavior and it kills me the way she treats me after going through everything to have her and nearly having a nervous breakdown because no doctor could/would tell me why I wasn't getting pregnant for so many years. I have tried the discipline things listed above, take things from her, she doesn't care. Time out never worked, made a chart and gave her stickers when she did what she was supposed to. She would do good one day, then quit; she NEVER EARNED anything she got, but my husband bought it for her anyway. I even thought if I would get her the things she wanted for birthdays or Christmas, she would see I love her and do better; it doesn't work either. I praise her all the time for doing great in school, and never getting into trouble. I thank her when she does do something I tell her to right away, and not refusing or being mouthy. Everyone loves her, thank God she is a very polite girl away from home. I spend time with her, I have taken her out to eat at her favorite restaurant, but it's as though she's only good to get what she wants, then it's over. As long as I spend my hard earned money on her she loves me; but when I'm broke she hates me. I hate yelling at her, I have shamed myself for yelling at her at times, but it doesn't change her behavior at all. I've tried talking to her calmly, but it goes in one ear and out the other. I am at a total loss myself, and am dreading the teenage years if she doesn't straighten up before then. I have physical problems that keeps me from playing things with her that she wants to do, but instead of understanding that I can't help it, she acts like I just don't want anything to do with her; which isn't true at all; but I have to say, when she treats me like a dog, I DON'T want anything to do with her. I refuse to reward her for bad/nasty behavior.
Plenty of parents out there willing to take on this young child.  Nothing is wrong with the child.  Something is seriously wrong with the parenting style.
Krissy-
What is disturbing to me, besides the fact that you don't want to be bothered with your son, is how flippant you are when you write about it.  This is your family, how can you be so nonchalant about it all?  To be frank you sound very immature.  Your attitude towards the problems along with the fact that others do like your child makes me think the problem is with you.
There are too many of the wrong kinds of people having kids in the world.  And it never amazes me how shallow people can be.
I don't know why I'm writing to this, it just was shocking to me.  I googled "my child does not like his behaviorist."  My son screams, throws things and slams doors lately when his behaviorist comes over 2x a week.  I believe it is because he doesn't like the behaviorist, he used to be a little more fun but lately has just been kind of flat and has very lilttle enthusiasm.  KIDS PICK UP ON THIS- hint hint!  I will probably get a new behaivorist, but if anyone has any advise on this it would be appreciated.  He has a behaviorist, by the way, because he is autistic.  It is unbelievably hard sometimes to deal with him, but I try everything I can.  I just can't imagine giving up on my own child, or how the relationship could ever get to such a point in the first place.  I've never met a child who didn't seem to want to be loved.
I know exactly how you feel. I have an almost 8 yr old step daughter who i really can not stand. I have tried everything, from taking things away, spanking, talking, councleing, grounding... nothing seems to work. She just as disrespectful, mean, hateful, talks bad, hits- throws things. I am so at my wits end with her and dont even want to be in the same room as her let alone look or talk to her. i feel so bad but i dont know what else i can do.
What I find admirable is that you have the courage to say you don't like your son. I doubt that this is unique, but how many mothers would admit to it?

It does not help that your husband does not properly discipline your son. But going beyond that, you and your son may simply be highly incompatible. We meet people every day that we do not like. So we avoid them. But this is your son, someone who will be part of your life forever. So you live under the stress of being in an uncongenial situation and, on top of that, you feel guilt. A tough situation.

Do you have other children?
First, I understand, to an extent, how you feel.  My oldest son is now 8, and in the last year or so, his behaviour has completely deteriorated.  I found this thread by searching 'managing 8 year old behaviour'.  He once was compassionate, considerate and thoughtful.  Now, he is insolent, annoying, purposefully obtuse and ignorant.  I am grateful for the small things - he isn't violent or physically cruel.
  Second - how long has it been since you saw your son?  That you cry each night as you go to sleep is a good thing.  It means you do feel something about it.  My suggestion here is that perhaps now you have been separated from him, you can re-introduce yourself into his life, one day at a time.  Even, just to start, you could go to his dad's and spend an hour there once a week or once a fortnight to begin.  He might not want to see you.  He might not want to be with you.  But the fact that you are trying will come to mean something to him as time goes on.  Don't try to be a parent while you are there.  See him as someone else's child - you did say you got along with other kids, as you have also stated you can't believe he came from your body, so it shouldn't be too difficult for you. You might also find that his general attitude has changed because his environment has changed.  It might not have, too.  If he resents you, you deserve that.
  I know that sounds horrible, but speaking from my own experience and my own resentment for my son's behaviour, I watched as his resentment for me grew and I have finally understood that I deserve it.  You get what you give.  It is up to you as the adult to start the changes because he, as a child, does not have the education or mental facilities.
  What things did you once enjoy doing with him, back in the days when he was a pleasure to be around?  Playing with Lego?  Reading a book?  Using Nerf guns on Army men?  Going for a bike ride?  Perhaps if you take a few steps back, you might find a different path open before your very eyes.  My son and I once read every single night.  As he got older and able to read himself, he would read each night by himself.  Just the simple act of going in to his bedroom, laying on his bed with him and spending 15 minutes reading a book has helped my situation a bit.  Something like this might help for you, too.
  To all the mums who have looked up things on the internet (articles, movies, etc) about how horrible it might be elsewhere - scare tactics don't work!  Do you think your son or daughter will watch it, then suddenly say, 'oh, gosh - i do have it good here.  I'll be good forever, now!'  Do you honestly believe that?  No!  They will see what you are doing and they will resent you more for it.  It is possible they will tell you they'd rather be there, and then what are you going to do?
  To all the bible bashers out there - do you really think 'god' is going to swoop down and fix all your problems?  No!  You can read the bible until your eyes turn inside out and guess what?  You're still going to have a child who misbehaves!  You can go to church and pray until your kneecaps wear through to bone, and your child is merely going to see you as a fanatic and will rebel more (brainwashing kids into believing so stoically in religion only works if you start when they don't know better).
  To the parents who have 'given their child everything to prove you love them' - what are you teaching them?  Of course your child NEEDS the newest Playstation, or the newest game or the newest freaking Pokemon or whatever, or they SAY they do.  They don't!  They need your time and the knowledge that whatever mistakes they make (and they'll make plenty), you're gonna be there to help get them through it, that you're not going to bury your head in the sand and hope when you come up for air that the problem has gone away.  Okay, a new playstation game or somesuch every now and then as a treat for good behaviour wouldn't go astray.
  To everyone who is thinking how mean I am, and how unsupportive I am, well, you can think that.  I am trying to get across my own experiences and things I did in my own situation to help improve them.  We're a long way from being home free, but slowly, slowly, we're finding better ways of managing our son's behaviour.

Yes, we tried the 'rewards and consequences' thing in many different versions.  They fizzled out after a few weeks because our son didn't care.  Instead of 'earning' computer/game console time, he would stand next to us and whinge non-stop that he had nothing to do, which would, naturally, get right on our nerves, which would cause tension, tears and tantrums.  It's not even as if he has a lot to do - his chores include unsetting the dishwasher, taking out the rubbish and feeding the cat, aside from just generally helping out when we need a hand.  He just started lying to us, which I'm sure all parents are aware is gonna happen.  We talk to him.  "What did lying to us accomplish?  You were asked to brush your teeth.  I know you didn't brush your teeth.  You got in trouble and had to go brush them anyway, only because you didn't do it the first time and lied about it, dad and I became upset with you, which wasn't very pleasant for you, was it?"  Of course, that will only work if the child DOES go brush their teeth once they've been caught out, and I know (believe me) that doesn't always happen, in which case, you could try again in the morning when there isn't so much hostility and everyone's had time to calm down.
  The most difficult thing in our situation is that our son is highly intelligent academically (sadly, he lacks the common sense right now), so when he tells us he 'didn't know' or he 'forgot', we become, again, very upset with him because we KNOW he knew.
  Then there is Granny, who was born an Early Childhood teacher.  In every situation, she knows exactly what to do, how to handle him and what to do to diffuse the situation.  And when he goes to visit, he comes home saying, 'Well, you're wrong, because granny said . . .', which is hugely frustrating.  When we are all in company, I find myself reacting differently to certain situations - not for the benefit of our 8 year old, but to sort of prove to my partner's mother that I'm not a bad mother (not that she has ever said so to me and never would, but I do see disapproval sometimes), and this creates inconsistency.  This is something I know I need to work on - that no matter what she thinks, I'm doing the best I can right now, with the resources I have.
  We also have a six month old, who adores our 8 year old, watches him intently and laughs at almost everything he does.  This scared me into taking some action to correct our 8 year old's behaviour, because I could only see more headaches in future years if our 6 month old bases his behaviour on his brother's.
  My partner is, most certainly, the better parent.  He has an infinite amount of patience and good humour where my patience and good humour is well and truly worn out by the time he comes home from work, so when I try to discuss these issues, he hints that it is me who needs to change (yes, I do, I know that, but it's not nice to be told that :)) and sees my 'excuse' as stated above as a cop out.  It is helpful to have someone to put your feet back on the ground and point out when you're being silly and when your upsets are justified.
  So we come full circle.  
  You are human, krissy13.  You, like me, have an exhaustible well of patience.  Sometimes counting to ten doesn't help at all.  Particularly if, when you get to ten, the problem is still loud, annoying and bad-tempered in front of you.  It is currently not too late to make amends and enjoy your son's next years, enjoy his adult years, meet any grandchildren that might come along.  If I count correctly, at the time of writing this, your son will be 10.  Yes, 'your' son.  It isn't too late to keep trying.  In four or five years, it WILL be too late and the chances of ever having a civil relationship with him will become slim to none.  
  That you have come on here and stated your problem, looking for some help, proves you WANT to help.  Don't give up because a few attempts didn't work.
  Teenagers say this all the time - I know I did - he didn't ask to be born.  But he WAS born.  He is YOUR son.  He does NOT deserve to feel his mother abandoned him, no matter what kind of terror you believe him to be.
  Having said that, I have walked in your brand of shoes, if not in the exact ones, so I do know where you're coming from.  When we've had a particularly trying day/week/month, I find I don't want to speak to him, look at him or interact in any way with him.  My behaviour towards him at times like this only condenses the situaton.  He is a child, and he doesn't care how I feel.  Did you care how your parents felt when you were a kid?  No.  They were just your parents, amorphous creatures that provided food and a bed.  It is your responsibility (and mine) to look past how I/we feel, know if I/we react differently, there might be some peace, which will improve how I/we feel.  Catch 22.
  Whoever it was who said you've inadvertently been teaching him to hide from the difficulties in his life (by hiding in your basement) is absolutely correct.
  No one is a perfect parent.  Every parent is going to go through trials, whether small or large, as yours are.  I despise those parents I see in the shopping centre with their perfectly well-mannered, sedate children while mine is tearing through the aisles as if it's his personal playground, or crying because I won't buy him a bottle of soft drink or a carton of milk.  You can read self-help books all you like (I've read a few in the last year or so), and you'll find one person is going to contradict another person, anyway.  I have learned all you can do is walk new avenues until you find one that will lead you to a harmonious relationship with your son.
  Your last post was very sad, and I do hope you haven't done anything drastic.
  If you've hit the bottom of the barrel, the only way left to go is up.
Wow! An old post. But I am going to respond to it anyway. It is a desparate plea for help from a desparate mom. She is being honest in her question and seeking advice, obviously she is frustrated and emotionally at her wits end. I sense this along with guilt for feeling the way she does!

To the poster: This emotion of not liking your child is more normal than you think and kudos to you for reaching out. We love our children, yes you love your child too, however sometimes we do not like them! Yes, that is right and plain downright honest! Sometimes we just dont like them at all. In a family we have different personalities, all of us are different  and sometimes those different personalities  just clash! I had a situation with my daughter when she was small! I was like you and did not know which way to turn. She was very strong willed and knew how to push my buttons at any given time! I even went to a shrink to get help with the situation. She was small and beautiful and at that time, a snake in the grass! lol  Nothing worked and I was at my wits end. One day I went to see my mother who had had ten kids. I broke down into tears and told her that I think I hated this child! My mother smiled and told me the following: She said, you can give birth to multiple children with all different personalities and sometimes those personalities are not compatible in the same home. She laughed at me and said we all love our children, but sometimes we get one that we just dont like very much. I was having such guilt over this and thought something was so wrong with me because I did nt like this kid. I wanted too but just couldnt. I poured out my heart and my mother told me that the problem was that me and this child were just alike and that when she got older, we would be closer than any of the other children. It was made worse because out of six kids, this was my first girl too! Now going forward to now. My mother was absolutely right. This child and me are closer than any of the others, we are best buds and we both look back and laugh. We are so much alike that we can both have the same thought at the very same time and we will say something out loud at the same time! Scarey! lol

Take a look back and talk to your mom, your hubby and those that know you best and see if they do not see that you and this precious boy are just very much the same and use that insight to put a perspective on the situation. If this is the case, maybe you need to step back and let dad do most of the handling of him, because you simply may not be able to at this point in time. Take a breather, let the frustration settle and once it has calmed down,  come back with a different approach. Kids dont always like their parents either, and especially if you are very much alike! So take heart in knowing it is probably somethin you are both dealing with and realize you may have to step back from time to time and take a calming break! It will be okay, you will see.
That's an interesting thought. I guess I never thought about that before. Maybe that's why my daughter and I are so close now, because we're so alike. But, boy, did we used to clash, a lot!
To the poster, Krissy, I know it's been 3 years. I hope things have improved with you and your son. God bless.
I hope that everyone's insight has helped some other parents because the krissy13 checked out on us at the beginning when she didn't like what we had to say... just like she did to her son. To bad. i hope that everything worked out.
I was very sad to read both your posts. People have given lots of good advice but I have the feeling that you have either tried it or are worn out by now. Not everyone is going to be a perfect or even good parent or child. At some point you should probably come to terms with both your own and your sons strengths and weaknesses. Decide what you really want with/from him and what you have to offer.
Write him a letter, no emotive language and not too long just a clear statement. Say that you have had trouble relating but that you do want to have a relationship with him. Admit you have made some mistakes but dont go into them. Say what you hope for. You want to re-connect, maybe you could meet for a starbucks/movie etc. When you do meet,keep the interaction  short and positive. Try to meet whatever commitment you make. ( ie. once every 3 weeks) Do something small and achievable. If your son does not respond or declines he still has the letter you sent which may have value to him later. Your son is (?) nine years old now. His emotional maturity will be different than it was 2 years ago and this approach may help. You may feel that so many things have gotten out of control-your son, marriage, self esteem. From the tone of your last e-mail I think you really must take care of yourself first. Suicide is an awful option, look after you and then go from there. I guess counselling is the best option if you are suicidal. My heart is heavy for you, I really hope you can find some comfort.
There are many times I found it difficult with my kids. I felt guilty when I feel like Iost my mind. Disconnecting is a way some poeple cope. It may have worked in the past but I think you know it's not working now. It's ok. It's time to learn a new way of connecting and coping. I like Daniel siegels book parenting from the inside out. It helped me to see what issues I had brought to the table and how to connect with my kids. It's good that you are open, aware and willing to listen to answers. You aren't a horrible person, many have times coping. The great thing about kids is that you have to face who you are in order to be able to be there in the way you want to be there for them. Small steps, lots of awareness and willingness and I think you will see a big improvement it will melt your heart. Isn't that what you are looking for?
I´m worry about both, Mom and son, Krissy since you´re the grown up you get the hardest part in this situation, and I mean that you are to be the one to do more than your son to fix this relation. First step is to really get to know that God you believe in, is not enough just to believe you will find all solutions through getting close to God, nothing will change until this is done, but don´t take too long since your son will soon be an exact copy of what you are now, and killing yourself won´t make things anybetter for him at all as being away from him isn´t.
It has been a year since you last wrote, I wonder how are you doing now,  I´m not a religious person i don´t even go to church but i´ve found in God all answers. Blesings to you Krissy and to your son whatever your situation and being is right now.
I understand where you are coming from. My son is 4 and a real pain in the a$$. I can't imagine him at 7! an even bigger pain in the a$$? I have observed one thing, he knows how to push my buttons and seems to enjoy it. A real wicked streak. You should try to re-establish your role as authoritarian ASAP. I don't know how, maybe find some books? that's my next step. and let him know who's boss. He is the child after all. and you only have 11 years left of his nonsense. As soon as he enters H.S, plan what college you will send him to. Sometimes I ask my son, why he is acting out. in  a really calm voice, just to see if it is just him being wicked or he really just wants attention. Maybe you should plan time away from the family with him. Take him to an outing that is just you two every week or once a month so he has somehting to look forward to.  You plan all month, go to the outing, plan the next outing. Find out why is striking out against you. I would also examine that stay at home dad, your husband could be bad mouthing you when you are not there. "Mommy would be mad if she found out about this..." or "You know mommy wouldn't like that..." but meanwhile he is doing it. like giving the boy ice cream or buying him toys when it isn't his birthday. All of this can cause him to loose respect for you.
Krissy I hope you are well.  This post as sad as it is has made me more determined to make sure that my son(5) does not feel that it was a mistake that he was born.  He is very difficult as he is sensory and gets more in trouble than my daughter(3).  I am not making a comparison but he has told me that he thinks I love his sister more than him.  I know that it is not true but my daughter does not like to get into trouble and has never even be given time-out at school.  I told him that I love them the same(I also think he tries to manipulate me sometimes). You cannot punish somebody who has done nothing.

He behaves better when it is just the two of us(e.g. when his sister is taking a nap).  I think once a week I will do something with him alone about 30 minutes or so.  It must be very difficult to always feel that you are being compared to someone all the time.  

We all sometimes feel challenged as parents but the love for the children is what drive us to do better.

thanks to specialmom for the wise advice.
What do I do about my 6 year old lil girl that is all of a sudden not wanting to be at home with us (mommy & daddy)??
She is our only one and has been the center of our attention for the last 6yrs and recently she has started to come up on her own with going and staying the night and being with other family members, (her aunts,cousins,etc)
I'm just not used to my lil girl WANTING to be away from ME her MOMMY??
Is there any advice from anybody on this such stuff!
Is she just trying to be more independant and growing up?
Lovbnamom2
Take care Krissy and best wishes and good luck. I dont know what to do either hence why I am on here! I wont give up though.
i am a mother of 5.. my 17 year old is unruly and out if control. he is violent, disrespectful and destructive. he has been in and out of hospitals(mental health). everytime i ask 4 help. be it psychiatrist, police, therapists...etc.. my cries go unheard and im told theres nuthin they can do 4 me.. most recent he pushed and hit me my arms and wrist bruised up, holes in walls broken windows, vandalised neighbors car, and threatens to damage alot of other things. its like no one who can help will help til im laying on the floor bleeding to death...i fear that they will want to release him home and that me and my younger children will again be in harms way. i fear for the safety and security of my home and family. the hospital states they will file abandonment charges if i don't allow him back in the home.. please HELP...

signed,
aworriedmother
Krissy, are you still there? I read all the posts today and worry that you may have done something drastic. I hope you got some help for your depression, but I know when you're poor therapy isn't always an option, which is ironic, because it's often the poor who have the most stress and the most need.
I just came upon this today because I googled "I don't like my son". It's not true, I do like my son, but he's difficult and we had a bad day today.
He's 7 and he's whiny, needy, and bratty, and I don't know how to change his behavior.  I really want him to become a calm, rational, kind, polite adult, is that too much to ask?
I've been under-employed for several years now and it's really gotten to me. I hate being a maid cleaning up after him all day and in fact the beginning of summer vacation makes me want to cry knowing I'll have him at home every day. I really wish I could be a sweet, kind, loving parent, but sometimes I don't know how to start.
Today was bad. I swore at him and threatened to hurt him. Now I feel terrible and I apologized, but I need to make some changes in myself so that it doesn't happen again. I can't imagine how it sounded to his ears to hear his mother say that to him. I would like to think he won't remember it as an adult, but he probably will.
I feel like I have a limited amount of patience with his moods, a limited amount of imagination to entertain him and little desire to clean up after him.  You are NOT alone!
    All of us are "not so perfect", but sometimes we forget, because we're
"not so perfect". Children need and deserve patience, love and understanding
and so do the rest of us.
    I tell my son every day how courageous he is to choose to not take his life. I hope to tell him again tomorrow.
   When a child cries for help, we try to help.
   What about the rest of us?
All mothers dislike, dare I say hate, their children for at least a split second through out the struggles of parenting.
I am a parent educator, I have a child and my job is to teach parents that are in the child welfare system because of child abuse.
I know first hand what unloved and neglected children look like.
And if you think you are above the natural human response of projecting your frustration and fears of not being a "perfect" parent onto your innocent child you are deluded.
Take a Buddhist philosophy and apply it to parenting...everything is temporary. One second you will feel like snapping and the next you will melt at their adorable littel feet.
An ongoing problem needs help in the form of education and counseling (as to avoid being a family I would serve). We are imperfect humans so we are imperfect parents and ITS OK.
My son is 11 and gas a 6 yr old brother...I too am not satisfied with the relationship I have with my son...he only appears to act out at home where there's structure...his younger brother however is a parents dream...very lovable and willing to do the correct actions to get attention...my oldest has been diagnosed with "ODD"...(OPOSISITIONAL DEFIANCE DISORDER) which makes him fine in other homes and environments because he can do whatever he wants...im list for an answer also and im an involved stay at home dad...mt wife makes good money at the local police department, and im in construction so I find myself at home alot recently...
My son is 11 and gas a 6 yr old brother...I too am not satisfied with the relationship I have with my son...he only appears to act out at home where there's structure...his younger brother however is a parents dream...very lovable and willing to do the correct actions to get attention...my oldest has been diagnosed with "ODD"...(OPOSISITIONAL DEFIANCE DISORDER) which makes him fine in other homes and environments because he can do whatever he wants...im list for an answer also and im an involved stay at home dad...mt wife makes good money at the local police department, and im in construction so I find myself at home alot recently...however I have been certified as a foster parent also and been thru over 18 months of parenting classes and workshops
I don't know what else to do...he sees a behavioralist 2x's a month and a psychiatrist once a month, and is way smarter than an the average 20 yr old however is lacking the life experience needed for the role he feels he plays in the world...I assume he he hate me as he does his brother cause of the annimosity of feeling he can't follow instructions, if its something he chooses not to do...he's even threatened to kill his younger brother and us very graphic about it...I often wonder when is it not because of "adhd" or "odd"....but because he's just an "a.s.s."...I wish someone would tell me to just walk across hot coals or cut off my hand and it will fix it, cause id do it...
the 11 yearold  jealous of the younger child ,'he is a parents dream' this is what you have said here about the youngest child  .no wonder the older child is unhappy , he probably picks up on that attitude ,maybe focus on his positive side and praise him when you see him doing something right, get his Dad doing guy things with him ,having fun and sports ..He is feeling left out ...
sorry this is so old and long ...I forgot to put the last post was for phasengod
What I want to know is: how come if the kid was at home with his MOM all day we'd all blame the MOM for the kid's behavior? But with this kid who stays home with the dad all day (why?) we STILL blame the mom??? Me, I'd check out the dad's role in all this: is he passive aggressive---manipulating by subtly rewarding the kid for acting toward the mom as HE himself would like to??? Or maybe he just wants to make staying at home with the kid seem like an unattractive job so that he gets to avoid working??? (I'm sure stay-at-home moms know a few like this also?)
I understand how you feel dear & I myself and im a similar situation...although he is my 6 year old step-son. I have tried and tried to like this kid. He never listens, tells me & his sister he hates me, interrupts and argues with me even about things he knows nothing about. harasses his sister, pees & poops his pants on purpose because it grosses me out, torments the neighbors dogs, screams at the top of his lungs when the other children are trying to sleep...and on and on and on. I am sorry...but why in the world should I like this kid when he so obviously does not like me and is a little jerk to his 2 sisters. Oh dont get me wrong, he's a perfect angel when his dad is around....most of the time. But im sorry..he is god awful, and his personality/behavior IS who he is. Most of the crap he does is willful & intentional. Why should I be nice & keep trying to get him to have a relationship with me,  just so he can dump on me.....I dont care if he is only 6 years old. So Krissy, dont worry...there are women out her who know exactly how you feel.
Ive just googled 'I hate my son' and im so glad i found this. My just turned 8 yr old son is actually so badly behaved right now,for the first time in my life i screamed 'I hate you; to him. I love my son more than anything in this world but his behaviour is just so out of control right now,he is making my life a misery. My partner and I are arguing constantly over it as he is my little boys stepdad. He is strict with my son in discipline and recently as he has been so naughty, feel all we are doing is shouting at him and my partner is ready to walk too. My sons real dad has him one a week and is a loser,who doesnt discipline him at all. I actually have thoughts of putting my son into care too,although i never would. I feel terible for feeling this way,i just wish he would listen to me,do as hes told,so we can both love him again. He is an angel for everyone else,and at school,very quiet little boy. I work part time and i do do things with him,although my spare time is limited. I just want my little boy back. He is 8 but seriously turning more and more into a baby again.
get help some therapy would be good .
sounds like u r ready to decide your son or your boy friend, that is sad
. . by the way, u addressed your message to  someone who wrote originally 4 years ago

if your child is perfect for everyone but u, then it can not possibly be that hard to figure out where the problems are.

hope u figure it out and have a better life
as its you that feels this way some therapy may help you ...good luck
Are you kidding me, get him tested. Kids are kids. Obviously he is not getting any attention at home, he is bored, unchallenged, not fulfilled, disrespected; cause guess what moms and dads we can manage to disrespect our kids too just because they are children doesn't mean they aren't worthy of respect. RockRose I find that you might be the kind of person that uses riddlin on the young ones when necessary right. Or maybe a sleeping pill, a little extra cough syrup when they don't go to be on time. CHILDREN are WORK. If this womans husband is not providing the attention that her child needs when she is away that that is why she finds him so disruptive when he is around her. Because he is angry he blames both of them for his discomfort. I hate when people try to find a diagnosis for everything imaginable. Quit being LAZY people, they are not our little soldiers and are not just going to fall in command when they see us. Smarten up, use your head. Ask him WHAT IS WRONG. DO YOUR JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW How can you say that about your own child. You need to give him love spend time with him go to the park - chucky cheese - beach ANYTHING JUST Spend time with him. He is longing your love. THAT is all. How can you say that you want to get rid of him -- HE IS A PART OF YOU -- YOU and YOUR HUSBAND. You need to get talk to your husband to be a Father A PARENT and so do you. Get Help --- ITs called LOVE Show Love -- Give time to your child. He doesn't act like that other places because they show him love - that he is someone and important.
I am a woman in her mid-40's and I had a mom who never really bonded with me as a mom.  I don't think my mother was a bad person or even someone who didn't care.  She just had issues that made it hard for her.  Sometimes we both pretended that nothing was wrong and sometimes we fought. Sometimes she blamed me.  Sometimes I think she even felt guilty.  And just sometimes when the fun was more important than the loss, we were both able to say "so what, we have what we have and its nobody's business but ours".

I turned out OK.  I want you to know that because no one should want to die because they can't be the kind of mother they think they should be.  There are ways you can provide for your kid and help them with the reality of who you are, even if you really can't bring yourself to be the "mom".  Your child will grieve but he/she won't necessarily be destroyed.  

For me it was a lot like having a parent die.  It was hard.  it sometimes still is hard.  I don't think one ever gets over entirely the loss of a mother, even if she never really mothered you beyond giving birth.  But it didn't doom me or make me a damaged warped human being.

I think i turned out OK for three reasons.  First there were other people in my life who could give me a mothers love, most notably my Grandma.  I was loved and nurtured even if it wasn't the usual way.  My Grandma died when I was 24, but at least I have memory to look back on.  That resource of love has carried me through many difficulties.  There is no law that says love has to come from a specific source, so long as there is someone somewhere who does love your child and always see their best potential and encourage and empower them towards that.  If you can't be the one, help and support your child in finding others and they will grow strong.

Second, from time to time my mother was honest with me about it just being the way she felt.  I know people on this board have recommended pretending, but I think that only works if you can "act as if" without actually feeling "as if".  Love is indeed a behavior and not a feeling, but not everyone can act against their feelings.

Over the years my mother's moments of honesty have helped me understand that it wasn't my fault.   It also gave me my reality.  It is hard enough not having one's biological parents be one's main source of love, but if your child suspects the truth and you pretend, your child loses twice.   They won't have your love and they won't have truth.  Truth at least lets us grieve and move on.  Truth lets us accept love where it is given rather than endlessly try to dip into an empty well.

There are a million zillion people that hate the idea of a mother who does not bond.  They will tell the child over and over that she should just try harder, be more patient,  tell the parent that she/he is needed and loved, get a new attitude, be more respectful, etc, etc.  Those voices are hard because they put a lot of pressure on a kid and the mother to make nice even when the mother just doesn't want or can't have the expected relationship.  Healing only comes from accepting what is. Sometimes what is includes a desire for more.  But sometimes it doesn't.  It is still what is.

Third, she tried to find a way to connect to me that did work for her. If relating to your child as aunt rather than mother or as "someone else's kid" keeps the connection going, then do that.   Even if it is not in your heart to be the "mom", some connection is better than nothing I think, assuming you can manage it and feel good about it.

In my mother's case, she felt most comfortable in the role of sister (Grandma was also her mother).   That was sad for me, because I would have liked her to have been able to be my mom in every sense of the word.  However, I think it was better to have at least some relationship even if it wasn't the standard relationship.

So, again, what I want to say to the Krissy13's out there.  There is no right way to be a mother.  Even giving birth to someone is a huge achievement.  You gave someone life!  You played at least some role in the nurture even if it was only when your child was very very little.  That is an all important contribution even if it isn't as big as the contribution you thought you should make.

There is no shame in allowing your child to be nurtured by others if you really can't do it yourself.  There is no requirement that you go from the extreme of being everything to being nothing.  There is no shame in being honest with yourself and allowing both you and your child to grieve what maybe ought to be but still is beyond reach.    Allow yourself what you can, be honest with what you can't.   Ultimately love is not a role, but a relationship, whatever form it takes.
To all of you women who chastized Krissy for coming her and being honest with her feeling instead of trying to help her shame on you.  Like you are the perfect mothers.  I went here to look for help with my child issues but i'll be damned if I'll write anything here and be judged by the likes of you.  You all must be angelic like mothers who are perfect cooking baking mothers.  Why are you on this site?  Really answer that question for me.  It certainly isn't to help anyone.  You're nothing but a coffee clutching but of not it alls.  God I can't stand people like you and I've had to deal with way to many of you.
I have to say that I can't fully fault Krissy on how she feels... I am the mother of 3 boys.. My oldest who is 15 is absolutely HORRIBLE, I am already dealing with having an autistic teenager as my 13 year old is autistic and I also have a 6 year old.  Now, my 15 year old has been 'acting out' since he was 10 years old.. everything from stealing, to violence.  I have been beaten up on a weekly basis for 5 years, I have begged everyone from the cops to psychologists for help, I have gotten services in home to try to help him.. Now that he is 15, he is even more violent, mouthy, and is still stealing, now he is smoking and has even started touching the drug subject.  I truly can't stand to be around him.. I look at him and my stomach turns.. I have NOT raised my child to act this way and nothing short of jail is ever going to change him.. I have decided that I will be making a call to our dept of children services in hopes that they will put him in a group home that will teach him some form of disapline that he will respond to.  I am truly at the point that I can NOT do this any more.. I am tired of hiding the marks that my child leaves on me when he beats me up, I am tired of putting a smile on my face pretending that everything is fine.. I am also tired of having to lock EVERYTHING in my house up because my son is a thief.. if something doesn't give soon he WILL end up in jail ...
So am I in the wrong? NO I am not... there have been 100's of people who have tried to help me with my son and NOTHING has worked... now he is going to have to go somewhere else so I can protect my other children.. I will NOT allow him to hurt them or to try to instill these dispicable behaviours into them.. he is the posterboy for Juvinille Delinqency and I don't know if he can be helped at this point.  
This is not a very helpful answer!!!!  Ive had the same experience with my daughter and she later ended up having a diagnosis of aspergers syndrome.  I have to agree, i dont always like my daughter either!  I do love her though! People who haven't had to deal with these type of children think that there's always an easy answer!  It's a hard road to travel when you're dealing with a child with special needs!  Seek out some professional help and you might be surprised with the results.
This is such an OLD post.  And quite a controversial one.  Maybe someone can start their own thread that is more current rather than getting fired up about things written years ago.  
Please do start your own thread to share your own personal experiences directly.  We will close this thread.  All further comments will be removed.

******THREAD IS CLOSED********************
I think this thread is supposed to be closed.  It is very old.
________________________________________________

** CLOSED DISCUSSION**
            NO MORE COMMENTS PLEASE
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.