Child Behavior Community
Experience with little boys and bladder infections

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about symptoms of a bladder infection in a little boy. My son is three and seems fine during the day. The last two nights he has peed right before going to sleep and them woke up about an hour later needing to go again. Both nights he was crying, but I thought it was just because he was having a hard time waking up and telling me what he needed. But, last night he cried while he was going and said it hurt. When I asked him where, he pointed to his lower left side. My husband said that when he woke up this morning he had gone in his pants a tiny bit. I just don't know because he is not complaining at all during the day. He doesn't like to take the time to go and might just be holding so much that it is making his bladder hurt, I know mine does that sometimes. I just want to hear from others that have experienced something similar. Thanks for your help.
I don't know what to tell you in this situation that would specifically apply to young boys with this problem, but I have had bladder infections in the past, and from personal experience, that sounds like what your son could have.

With bladder infections, it stings and burns horribly when you go, and you feel like you have to go WAY more often than normal. And, even when you feel like you have to go, practically nothing comes out and the pain is terrible.
If the infection is only in the beginning stages, then constant pain is not something you experience, the pain is only when you go pee. But if the infection is left alone to worsen over a day or two, then the pain becomes abdominal and lower back pain and the infection can spread to the kidneys.

Bladder infections are horrible, especially when not treated right away. I'd recommend taking your son to the doctor and have a bladder infection ruled out if that's not his problem, but if it is, then at least you'll have caught it in time for treatment before the pain becomes unbearable for him (and sometimes the infections cause blood in the urine).