Child Behavior Community
My five yr old sudden behavior changes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My five yr old sudden behavior changes

My son is five, he has been potty trained since he was 2. We have never had any problems with bed wetting.  He has had a problem with constipation for atleast 3 yrs, we have been to the doctors several times about this, they always put him on a laxative and when he is on it regualary he is fine. When he is regular again I take him off it, now unless he is on the laxative he doesnt go, we recently went back to the doctor and they sent him for  an ultra sound on his bowels, but it came back fine. We have another apointment next week out of sheer frustration. Three months ago my son started to urianate on the living room floor and a few times on the couch....now in the past 4 weeks he has taken a bowel movement on the floor twice, I should mention that I am six months pregnant as well, my doctor has mentioned that perhaps this is behavioral, im confused as to wether it is a behavior problem or a physical problem and I dont seem to be getting any answers from our family doctor as to how I deal with it ....I am getting seriously sick of cleaning the rugs not to mention the smell....I have diciplined him for doing it but I feel guilty because im not sure if it is a physical problem. Please help me Im concerned that it could a physical problem that is going undiagnosed....

Thank you
First, boot the family doctor and go to a specialist. It's probably behavioral, but you should make sure.
I don't recall the condition name, but it's tied up in early potty training. Now, this doesn't mean you did something wrong then, but sometimes a syndrome develops in which the child develops an obsession with bathroom habits. "Retaining" of stool is a classic behavioral problem of this syndrome. The child becomes obsessed with releasing stool (and urine) and refuses to do so. Eventually, in later development (age), they will release at inappropriate times.

This is NOT something you can discipline a child out of. He'll need to most likely see a child therapist if this is the case. Attempting to discipline will, in fact, make the problem worse. There are techniques that a good therapist can give you to help your child develop a more appropriate view of his body and bowel functions.

It does sound like your child is exhibiting all the classic symptoms of this syndrome.