Child Behavior Expert Forum
Na

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Na
Help-help-help-I have a nearly 5 year old grandson who is smearing feces on walls. His mother is almost at wits end. My daughter in law had potty trained him and he regressed when a miscarriage happened in his family. He was recently taken out of preschool because he was incontinient at school.  Rewards have been given for good training , which he does maybe a week at a time then he regresses again. There was a new baby born 10months ago, whom my grandson adores. My grandson is the second of 4 children, all boys. He does spend quality time with his dad who is in the home, and he is attached to his mother. He is a sensitive child who is very rule oriented , and who loves to help people. He also has been fighting alot with his younger brother. An suggestions? This boy is intelligent. He is also a bedwetter. Could sexual advances toward him caused this? There seemed to be such a sudden change in him. I have suggested to the mom to get a full health screening first before pursueing a psychiatric evaluation.
Such regressive behavior is indicative of some unsettledness in his life, and this can be caused by any disruption in the family life. Could the behavior be a reaction to sexual mistreatment? Yes. But is there any reason to suspect such mistreatment? It's important to set firm limits on this behavior and see how he responds. An evaluation by a child psychologist would be useful, particularly if straightforward limit setting does not resolve the situation.
THIS HAS BEEN HELPFUL-Thank You!