Child Behavior Expert Forum
PUNISHING A CHILD PHYSICALLY

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

PUNISHING A CHILD PHYSICALLY

SHOULD CHILDREN BE DISCIPLINED BY PHYSICAL PUNISHMENT? AND WHY?
I'm going to defer on this question. There is plenty of information available, and anything I say here will be redundant. You can use the Search function to see material that has addressed this question in the past.
I was spanked and taught right from wrong as a child, not beaten, and I think I turned out with high morals and a decent addition to society. Now-a-days, kids get time outs and put in the corner, parents are having to work all the time, and neglecting their children, and they let them run rampant in the streets. As an adult I see kids out when Im going to work in the wee hours of the morning, and alot of them cant be much older in their earlier teen years. The world has begun to go to **** with teens and young adults having none of the above traits. Divorce is at an all time high, their isnt enough room in the paper to report all the crime, and all you hear about anymore is deaths, murders and other violent crimes. Prisons are busting at the seams and they continue to raise our taxes to house criminals and build other prisons. Save yourself a troubled life and dicipline your children the way God intended you to, "spare not the rod" and maybe we can get a grasp on this downward spiral!
I think that perent can decide on their own on how they want to punish thier children.  And I think if you don't know how to control your child then maybe you should take some parenting classes.  Every parent should know their child.  And when I'm ready to have kids of my own I probubly will spank my kids. Just like that other story, i agree with her, how the kids now-a-day just act like they are 21. They don't have the respect for people or things as the teens did about 10-20 years ago.  They need to get punished, but not beat, while they are still kids so they right away know write from wrong.
Not to come down on the other two comments that were made in terms of Rocks question about spanking as a way of discipline, however... no matter what one does, it is the way in which it is delivered which makes the biggest impact.  There is a saying
"It's not what you say,it's how you say it" So true with spanking.  Spanking a child is one thing beating them is another.  When we do spank, what is our outcome.  Are we intending to physically hurt our child.  When we do spank it physically hurts our children.  A tap on the leg, or hand or bottom to get thier attention is one thing.  to take a belt, shoe or any other object... that is physical abuse.  If anyone adult or other wise was hit with an object I assure you in a court of law it would be aggravated assault with a weapon. In most cases when parent spank/beat their children they are frustrated/angry.  So in tern they take it out on the children and the outcome is a child who grows up in a home where physical abuse is prevalent. I have two children.  Maybe it is the way I was raised.  In most homes most parents who spank or do nor spank are only following by example.. their parent.  My parents spoke to us... I mean really spoke with us.  Spankings were not neccessary.  I do not spank my children.  I have truly not found a reason to.  there is misbehaving, yes.  But not to the degree that I would have to place my hands on my daughters. It is a very indivudual decision. I am fortunate I guess to have been given tools which have been very successful in raising two girls thus far whom have developed very possitive beahaviours.