Child Behavior Expert Forum
Shy & Moody 4 yr. old son

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Shy & Moody 4 yr. old son

My son is a shy and very moody little boy. While he can be quite the joy, he is often a daily challenge. If things don't go his way, he pouts and decides he just doesn't want to do anything. If he walks into a situation where there are other children or adults, he becomes shy and decides he doesn't want to be *there any longer. (*this may even be a play area that he really looked forward to, but because others are there, it becomes a different story).

Our doctor says he is definitely shy, but his moodiness is more about the need to control. Is this normal in a little 4 yr. old or do we have a potential personality issue on our hands?

The doctor says he is a very bright and articulate little boy and there are no "personality issues". I guess I just want to be reassured that this is normal and that he is not always going to be this difficult.

Thank you,
Laurie
Tags: Shy
I nor anyone else can offer you the assurance you seek - it is not possible to predict the future. Now, having said that, his behavior does not invite serious concern. I basically agree with the feedback you received from the pediatrician. Be sure, in spite of your son's shyness, to continue to keep him 'in the mix' so that he gains ongoing exposure to peers.
I'm wondering if what you are asking is "does my child have an anxiety or mood disorder?".  I think you will find your answer in "function" - can your son speak to both peers and adults in social situations, is he able to eat or play or learn, is he able to use the washroom, is he able to get help if required, etc.  If you can answer in all of these sitations (and more) with a "yes", then your child will be fine (although a bit shy and perhaps a bit temperamental).  If not, then return to your family physician and maybe you will need to ask for a second opinion.  Hope this helps ....