Child Behavior Expert Forum
Vomiting 15 month old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Vomiting 15 month old

My 15 month old daughter has been refusing food and vomiting after eating for over 10 months.  She is making our lives a living hell. We have ruled out any possible organic cause and she is of normal size and weight.  Right now we are exploring the likelyhood that this is a maladaptive behavior.  Unfortunately my wife and myself have no idea how to correct this behavior.  Should we let her go hungry if she vomits or refuses to eat? Is there a way to dicipline a child this young for such behavior?  Is there a way to reinforce a positive behavior in a child this young?  She cannot be tempted with food or any type of treat that children this age usually love to eat. We are at our wits end and need some help.

Joseph
If in all other respects yur daughter is developing normally, it is quite unlikely that this represents a psychologically-based condition. Simply present/serve meals at sensible times, offer the opportunity to eat, and do not force any eating. "Mother Nature" will be sure your daughter receives sufficient nutrition. If she chooses not to eat at mealtimes, do not permit snacking in between (other than for example, some drinks of juice or water).
Our Granddaughter did this also, for "3" years. We didn't lose our patience with her either. She only "DRANK LIQUIDS". Finally, after "PUSHING" the State, she was seen by a SPECIALIST. Our granddaughter, was on Medicaid. She was found to have a BIRTH DEFECT of the bowels. It went on too long, as "SHE REMAINS" the stubborn, won't eat type, whining & crying a lot, which isn't appropriate for an almost 5 yr. old. The Doctor, after the Surgery, forewarned us, her personality might change to pleasant & might not. We didn't expect anything, only to see her "Eat Food!" She does eat, but many times it's a fight, begging, etc.  Just finding out, that an infant, wasn't in need of discipline, was a relief, as we'd not disciplined, but did what the Doctor who answered the question, suggested. It didn't work for us, of course, putting the food in front of her, when she was 10 months & up to 3 yrs. old. She looked very "healthy & well cared for" also, but the Barium Dye, showed the real issue at hand. We were relieved. It's when they start losing weight, in excess, Doc told us to be truly concerned, along with the other conditions, refusing to eat, vomiting after any food, etc.Being worried & overanxious, can keep the baby, not eating too, we learned.
My son who is 2 has has become a terrible eater from around age 10 mos to now. It's a chore getting him to eat, although he doesn't look this way.  He also is okay for weight and size on doctor's charts.Doctor tells us if he's hungry he'll eat, but he's very stubborn. What type of specialist did you see to determine the bowel problem? This maybe something for us to consider.