Child Behavior Community
dyspraxia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

dyspraxia

I am concerned that my 6.5 yr old DS may have dyspraxia. He has had poor concentration since he started school and it was noted last year that his gross motor interaction needed some attention. At the time it was recommended that he see an OT and SALT , the SALT to help with his listening skills. He was seen by them but they decided that it was his gross motor skills that needed attention as they claimed that he had to put a lot of processing  into his physical movements and there was not enough left to process other information coming in.  I was told that the problem was in his core trunk area So he has had some physio sessions with 2 other boys one of whom has been diagnosed with dyspraxia.
He has always been a bit clumsy in that his spatial awareness, depth perception and motor planning has not been great. He bumps into people quite a bit and his balance is probably not as good as his peers. He finds it difficult to get comfortable on a seat but is not hyperactive if that makes sense.  He finds it difficult to follow lots of instructions and his organisation skills are not great.His vocabulary is great but the speed at which he would retell a story is sluggish as his mind seems to be going quicker than his mouth.  

However he can ride a bike without stableisers, can hop and jump etc. He was not late doing these things either. His fine motor skills are OK, not above average but I would suspect in the normal range. His handwriting is ok, a bit immature but again I would thnk not cause for concern. His spelling is good . His reading is quite  slow and laborious.

He seems to have some of the symptoms of dyspraxia but am unsure if you could be dyspraxic and able to do things like ride a bike, swim, fine motor skills being ok. I would have thought that the Physio , OT  etc would have mentioned Dyspraxia at this stage. However the other boy in the physio session has been seen by a reputable educational  physcologist who is very definite that he is dyspraxic , yet he has been seen by many people and never been mentioned before. Thanks for your help