Child Behavior Expert Forum
out of control/out of my mind

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

out of control/out of my mind

how do i cope with my son?my son is 6 yrs.old and at the age of 2 he was beginning to show real odd and out of control behavior.no matter the decipline ,no matter what we do or say,and no matter what we take away he just doesn't seem learn or care for that matter.  From time to time (mostly all the time) he is angry, out of control, verry sneaky,and relentless. He gets violent back at me with any form of punishment he gets . And he just doesmt learn from his experiances. His doctor has put him on several differant medications ' THAT DONT WORK" And i dont want him on drugs of any kind to begin with. BUT WHAT DO I DO ?
Ihave already had 1 nervous breakdown and i'm lost,emotional,fustrated,and out of ideas. Not to mention, i have NO help from any family members other than my husband who works 40-60 hrs.week.   PLEASE HELP ME!

SINCERLY,
"OUT OF CONTROL/OUT OF MY MIND"
Two things need to occur. First, you have to get help for yourself. Second, your son requires a thorough evaluation in order to determine how to proceed. I can hear your frustration, but that won't get you very far. Arrange an evaluation by a developmental pediatrician and then follow the treatment plan he/she advises.
Every time we refer back to the pediatrician it's the same thing ....differant medications and or changing the dose. I feel that my son shouldnt have to be on so many medications at a young age. I belive this is adding to our problems if not making it worse. there has to be outher alt. for him.
Is it the pediatrician who is prescribing the medications? And what medications have been prescribed for your son? Has he seen providers/specialists other than the pediatrician?
yes, he has been seen by many and he has had  a psyc. evaluation but he was not old enough to be diagnossed w/ bi-polar disorder. and they all have said he may have adhd,he may be bi-polar, he may have mild altisium w/ a high IQ.The problem is he has not been properly diagnossed with any disorder, yet they keep inforcing medications. He has in the past been on ADERAL (Adderall), METHYLPHENID, and now he is on RISPERDAL. None of thesse medicines worked and most gave him bad ticks.I strongly belive that the doctors should not have put him on any meds. w/ out having a n actual diagnosis. I am now thinking of taking him to the neuro-science inst. in jax, fla so that he can have a cat scan to determine if there are any admorallities in the brain. And maybe get some answers.He  has the abillity to be such a great boy he is real smart and above average in school. real out going and I am so concerned. It all boils down to the fact that he is not getting the right help he needs and i CANT SEEM TO FIND THE RIGHT DOCTOR TO TAKE THE TIME TO FIND OUT WHATS GOING ON WITH HIM.Counsilling is also not helping he is a good boy in front of others, until we get home.