Chlamydia Community
Is 6.5 days enough for Chlamydia treatment to work ?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

I took 1g(4 tablet dose) of Azithromycin on Monday at 11am.  I had sex with my partner on Sunday evening, so 6 and a half days instead of the recommended 7 days.  My partner was in the last day of a 10 day treatment of Amoxicillin.  My question is this.  Should I be ok having sex half a day before I was supposed to, and will the 10 days amoxicillin treatment rid my partner of the infection too ?
Amoxicillin wil not treat Chlamydia. I would abstain from sex until your partner is correctly treated. The 7 day reccomendation would start then. Take care.
Thanks for your reply.  I've seen on many different medical websites that Amoxicillin does treat Chlamydia. In fact doctors prescribe it for pregnant women rather than Azithromycin.  Confused now....
Was she on 500 mg 3x a day for 7 days?  If not, then she isn't cured.

Is she pregnant?

If she was on that dose, you all are probably ok, but I would definitely go back for a retest in a month or so to make sure its gone since Amox isn't the first line of treatment.

Also, if you haven't figured out how it entered your relationship (did someone have another partner, did one of you come into the relationship with it, etc), you need to make sure everyone who needs to be has been treated.

Aj
She was on 500mg 3x a day for 10 days.  She's not pregnant, she was being treated for sinus problems.

Will that be enough ?  And will 6.5 days wait be long enough ?
Yes, it should all be fine.  You both might want to test again in a month to make sure.  Don't test any sooner or you could get a false result.

Aj
Thanks Auntijessi.