Cholesterol Community
Cholesterol medication muscle soreness side effects?
About This Community:

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cholesterol medication muscle soreness side effects?

I have been on provastatin for a couple of years and have noticed very sore stiff muscles (expecially at night).  My doctor has changed my medication to Crestor which I was told to first take one a week for a couple of weeks, then (2) pills a week for 6 weeks then he will order another blood test.  How long does it take after I go off the first medication before I should be able to tell if it is the medicine causing my muscle soreness? My cholesterol was a total of 282 with a HDL cholesterol in the 80's.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
159619_tn?1318997813
It normally will take a week or less for all side effects to go away. Remember, your statin has a half life of about 14 hours which means after 14 hours you have eliminated half of the medication. You will then eliminate half of the remaining have after the next 14 hours and so on and so on. As you can see, it takes a considerable amount of time to get it completely out of your system,

Jon
Blank
I am unable to take any statin medication as I get severe muscle cramps with each one.  I was placed on Zetia but since going on Medicare I find it too expensive to purchase.  Any suggestions for other medications would be appreciated.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cholesterol Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank