High Cholesterol and Triglycerides
I'm 39. Not overweight. 6' 165 lbs. My diet does not consist of any fruits or veggies, and hasn't for about 20 years. I am used to being able to eat and drink whatever I want without any weight gain, and until now, bad blood tests. I do smoke when I drink, and occasionally I may have one during the week. When I do drink, I can put a few down. I also do not exercise. My tests came back as Cholesterol either 235 or 245, don't recall which. My good cholesterol was 53. My Triglycerides however, have gone from 195 in 2009 to 325 in July 2012. I have added Omega-3 Fish Oil vitamin in the morning, and changed my diet somewhat. I am not eating as much fat, added Fiber, fruits, and some daily veggies (Spinach, Carrots, Cucumber, Peppers) into my diet as a salad every night. I am not using fatty dressing but Balsamic Vinegar and fresh lemon as dressing. Also changed to whole wheat carbs (bread, pasta, etc.). I never have been big on sweets. Will the diet changes alone lower Triglycerides and cholesterol, or is exercise needed as well. I am really hoping to be able to keep my weekend beers going. I have no hereditary issues in this field. Also, I wasnt aware not to drink before test and the night before test was the night before we were leaving for vacation, so I had my last beer at 1AM, and test was at 10AM. Could that of effected my numbers, and if so, should i get retested.
I would also like to add Blood pressure, sugar levels, kidney enzymes etc were all normal.
Much depends on how high you LDL is. It needs to be under 130, preferably under 100. Cut out the empty carbs like sugars, pastas, breads and don't drink. All this will increase you LDL and TGLs and total cholesterol. Also, your HDL is high which is good, but some exercise may increase the HDL levels and that will help off set any high LDL, but ask your doctor first.

Also, you need to re-test because you did not get a true 12 hour fast before your test and alcohol is the worst thing to have that close to a test.

Jon