Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Panic attacks

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Panic attacks

I've been diagnosed with COPD and for the past 3 years I've dealt with it by using inhalers but over the past couple of months I've been getting panic attacks.  Over this past weekend I was caught outside in some pretty nasty weather, windy and hailstones this brought on a massive attack and I felt lucky to get home, when I go to leave my home I can feel it coming on again, I feel silly letting this get the better of me it seems that I'm getting severe breathing just by thinking of them.

If anyone else has ecperienced this before I would be grateful for any advice
Panic attacks are common and can occur at any age.  Anxiety can have a powerful effect on the sensations of breathing and shortness of breath.  If these attacks occur only with nasty weather, you need to find ways to stay indoors.  If they occur, even when the weather is good, you need to ask your doctor for medicine to control the panic attacks.
Try using Oxygen Concentrator Machine which give out 95% pure oxygen equivallent to cylinder oxygen.
Me too , just lastnight i went out had to go to a band concert for my 2 step daughters , and  when we got out of the car i can feel my back and all around my rib cage start to swell i take it , dunno hw to really explain it just felt as if someoe took a bke pump and starting to inflate my lungs, then we we left it start again and this time i started to really breath hard and fast and it felt as if my lungs and ribs were gonna burst !!!! . is that how yours feels ? .........2young
I work on an open dock with no heat,in Rhode island it get below zero,,,breathing in that cold air last year gave me an attcak,,vocal or broncial,my throat closed and could get NO AIR,,THEN A TINY WHEEZE,,MY BOSS CALLED 911,BUT AFTER THE WHEEZ I TALK ALBUTORAL,AND STARTED COUGHING,iWOULD NOT HAVE SURVIED WAITING FOR A RESCUE,,IV HAD COPD FOR 15 YEARS,AND YA iM A DUMMY STILL SMOKE,JUST COVER YOUR FACE WHEN ITS COLD OUT,,,SCARF/OR MED MASK,,,