Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
understanding my pft results

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

understanding my pft results
Was just wondering if anyone had any idea about my results which I sent on the 16th March do they make any sense I have been looking at other sites and unless I am reading them wrong they would appear pretty normal. Am really looking forward to any opinions, ....please    Withie
Assuming that the predicted values/ranges are valid, these are abnormal results.  The FEV1/FVC ratio is conventionally expressed not as FEV1%/FVC% but as the actual values, 3.00 liters (L)/4.72 liters (L) and that is roughly the 63.49% you see.  This ratio normally approximates 80% or higher depending on age, not 63%.  This decreased value is consistent with the increase in your total lung capacity (TLC), due to air trapping, and the increased residual volume (RV).  These results plus the reduction in diffusing capacity (DLCO), suggest the diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

Proper interpretation will require more information about your effort in performing the tests and the accuracy of the results.  You should not depend upon the above statements, but should discuss the results with a lung specialist.
So if these are abnormal results how abnormal are they? am I really as bad as this, going by % on other sites this is not good.  They said my effort was good on the test so this must be a true reading, the hospital suggested me seeing a lung specialist but my doctor didnot seem to think there was any need.

Thanks so much for your help Withie
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker