COPD and Blood Gases Improving
I have been undergoing physical and pulmonary rehabilitation. I have severe COPD. My lung MD says I am improving. My blood gases in October 2011 were blood: 7.45, POO2 48, and HCO3 33. A test taken a month later showed improvement and my last test, taken in January 2012 was: blood 7.42, POO2 44 and HCO3 28.5. I see that two of the three values are normal.

This is my question: Does anyone know  what this improvement signifies and how it might affect a prognosis? Is it possible with further rehabilitation to return to a moderate COPD classification based on yet greater improvement in blood gases?
Hi!
I am glad to see that you are sticking to good rehabilitative program and benefitting from it. The blood gases can improve further and you can move closer to moderate COPD. However, it may be difficult to get them close to excellent levels. Lung fibrosis cannot be reversed, but all efforts can be made to utilize the available lung space for proper gas exchange.   Please discuss this with your treating doctors. Take care!
There have been developments since I posed my question. I have been diagnosed with systemic candidiasis and, quite by chance, was treating it with supplements I started taking early in January. I will not have full COPD testing again until July. Meanwhile treatment for candidiasis has been stepped up and I notice that my oxygen levels are higher (oximeter) and I am slowly cutting back on supplemental oxygen. I can't help but wonder how much damage to my lungs was caused by candida.