Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Does Prednisone cause coughs and phlegm?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

My Dad was diagnosed with IPF , he was given Prednisone . He insists that after taking Prednisone, he coughs more and it is usually accompanied by thick mucus. The exertion in the coughing action causes his SpO2 level to drop drastically(below 70%) and heart beat rate also increases. No one believes him as the literature shows that prednisone is supposed to help with IPF. His doctor said that he can not stop the steroid abruptly so he needs to continue the dosage 10mg per day. He is reluctant to continue this treatment.  Glad to know that someone has the same coughing experience. So, what is a better way to replace prednisone or combat this coughing issue?
IPF is Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis for anybody trying to help.  
I was put on prednisone and rhen switched to inhaled steroids. I suffered thick tenacious phlegm and coughing so severe that it exhausted me. I have since refused both prednisone and inhaled steroids and am much better for it. I use natural anti-inflammatories. However I do not have IPF, but COPD. I don't know if that makes a difference.

P.S. My pulmonary MD has a hard time accepting that I reacted in this way. Also the treatment caused me to suffer adrenal fatigue.
I have checked with many doctors, including internal medicine specialist, respiratory specialist and general practicioners, in regard to this issue. The answer I got was the same and that prednisolone wouldn't cause coughs and phlegms. Yet, my dad proved to me that as soon as he consumed the medicine, he coughed so badly that he felt like blacking out. Due to prolong usage of the steroid, he was adviced not to withdraw abruptly. He has no choice but to continue the treatment. The trouble is that whenever he refused to take the steroid, he sufferd a set back in his health (weak and frail). I don't know what to do as it bothers me to see him suffering day by day.
I don't know what to say. I got off it.
Check for Cushing Syndrome
The producers of medications always downplay the side effects of their products, even going so far as to skew trials. Our doctors are conditioned by the drug houses since they are the major source of their information. The FDA always backs up the drug houses because of their vested interest. As a result we have to do our own investigations and run trials on ourselves. You and your father see the connection between prednisone and phlegm. Let the whole world tell you it isn't so. I am with you to say that it is. But the worst problem I found with prednisone and inhaled steroids is that they wreaked havoc with my adrenals.
Steroids can cause adrenal fatigue. In the early stages this is marked by high cortisol.
Same here.  What natural supplements are you taking for inflammation and coughing?
I found Licorice Root, seems to help.  Claims to do the same thing as prednisone without the side effects.  So far so good.
I am on prednisone for colitis and am experiencing the mentioned persistant cough that I never had before taking this drug.