Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
hyperaerated lungs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

hyperaerated lungs

I have COPD, I had a CT scan today, and the report said I have hyperaerated lungs. Dose any one know what that means?
its damaged aveloi, that air is trapped in.
basically trapped air
The alveolii lose their elasticity with damage e.g. from smoking.

You can breathe air in, but you cannot get it all out, so because your lungs expand when you breathe in, they stay expanded to some degree when you breathe out.

You will be given inhalers which will help.
Thanks for the info, but I'm past the inhalers, I'm on oxygen 24/7. I'm having a lot of unbearable pain under my ribs in the back and sides,so the doc did a ct scan,that's how I learned about the hyperarated lungs. I had never heard of this before
Did you mean hyperinflated?  If you are on oxygen, you have had this for awhile. Probably from the get go.
Sorry, skipbarb.
I was assuming that perhaps this was all new to you.

As teko says, again assuming you mean hyperinflation, you must have had at least a bit of pain before now, perhaps more in the centre of the chest area?

I have done nothing but research COPD, and in particular emphysema, since Feb/March this year, and have not come across hyperinflation where it was not one of the presenting symptoms.
No, the report said hyperaerated lungs, I've never heard of hyperinflation either. I've been seeing just regular doctor, but I will be seeing a pulmolnogest next week, but I was told I had emphysema after a broncoscope 10 years ago. I've also had open heart surgery in 97. I kind of thought the pain might have come from the ribs being spred back then and this is just an after result. Yes I've had pain for a long time, but it has never been unbearable before.
You need to see  a pulmonologist asap. Let us know what he says?
I agree with teko, skipbarb.

Get back to your regular doc in the meantime perhaps, and see what he says. Maybe he can speed up your appointment with the pulmonologist.

Make sure you say that you have had the pain for some time, but now it is unbearable.

Again it could be the heart surgery, but either way you need to find out.

Please let us know what they say.