Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
my husband wakes up and can't catch his breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

My husband is 51 years old. For a few years now he has had a problem with waking up in the night wether he is sleeping in bed laying down or sitting up in his chair, he can't breath and has a hard time catching his breath then when he does finally he will cough for a long time spitting up flem (phlegm) he says from his lungs like he is drowning in his sleep. He often coughs until he is ill  and will vomit. this can go on for several hours a night. It will come and go but if he gets a cold it's really bad at night. he has been to all sorts of doc's to try and fix it they have no idea what is wrong with him. They say they can't find any thing. I am worried that as he gets older his body will just not be able to put up with the stain it put on it. this last time while we were away he coughed so hard he pulled the muscles in hi back. He goes for a time and it gets better and then it flaires up again. he can't get enough sleep and loses weight is totaly exausted and has no energy. I worry what this is doing to his over all health and the years it is taking from him
Has your husband been to a pulmonary doctor? With it happening at night it sounds like it might have something to do with sleep apnea. I would wake up all hours of the night and my doctor told me I needed a sleep study but he thought I might be actually quitting breathing several times a night and that was what kept me waking up. He mentioned I might need a c pap machine for oxygen during the night. I have emphysema, moderate yet do not have the phlegm that your husband does. Surely the doctors could figure this out, that is puzzling. I truly hope you find a doctor that can let you know what is going on and fix it. Please keep us informed?
I do think my husband has sleep apnea but they have never done a sleep study on him. I also thing this is not related to that it's something totaly different and it gets very scary.I will ask for a sleep study and see what happens, maybe if they see it while it's happening they will figure it out.Thank you for your time. Whimmy
I think you are very wise. That is just too scary! Keep in touch and let us know the outcome ok?