Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Ascites- lab values.

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Ascites- lab values.

Currently have ascites even with TIPS. It used to be under control but even TIPS is not controlling it any more.
The volume of fluid has decreased during paracentisis over the weeks however not sure if that it from a stricter low sodium diet or the liver doing a bit better.
My question is, are there any specific lab values that represent ascites and if the “causes” of ascites specifically are getting better? I understand the cirrhosis is the cause but are there certain LAB values that represent or can be used to judge ascites and see if the TIPS will perhaps work again? (TIPS was checked and is open) Thanks
http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/hepatology/complications-of-cirrhosis-ascites/

This is interesting hope it helps
Thanks. From what I read eating protein rich foods can increase albumin levels. Is this true with cirrhosis ?
The protein thing is so hard to tackle. I feel awesome and have it all under control when I keep it low and use good proteins.
Yesterday was awesome for me mentally and physically. But we HAVE to get protein. I mean, our heart is a muscle and needs it.
I use the low sodium diet to totally control ascites now. I'm off spironolactelone and lasix both. I'm going to doc next week and will ask about what labs indicate ascites. Good question.
xo Karen:)