Colitis Community
Has anyone had "Pouch" surgery?

Colitis is swelling (inflammation) of the large intestine, which is also known as the colon. This community is a place to find others who share your interest in colitis. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with colitis patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with colitis, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Has anyone had "Pouch" surgery?

My doctor has suggested I have an internal "pouch" surgery rather than an external bag.  I am 6'1" and weigh about 240 lbs.  I've read that sometimes the "pouch" won't work if a person is too tall or too heavy.  Has anyone had success with the internal pouch?

Michael
I had a colectomy and was given a j pouch.  I had a 'bag' for 6 months, but have not have it for 5 years.  If j pouch is an option, it can be a great one.  Do your research on your surgeon.  I've seen plenty of patients with nasty scars and complications due to a poorly done surgery.  Get somebody who specializes in colorectal surgery.
I am 27 years old and I had the j-pouch surgery in 2007 at 21 years old after having UC pretty bad for 8 years. It was a difficult time in my life and unfortunately I had many complications with my surgery....gastritis, dehydration, abdominal abcess (abscess), and a revision surgery due to a hole in my pouch.....but now that everything has healed and it's been 6 years, I can honestly say it was the best decision I've made. I'm pain free and can eat a pretty regular diet. I do have to make sure I drink plenty of fluids because with not having a colon, you get dehydrated easily, and the biggest issue is having about 6-8 liquid to semi-formed bowel movements per day. I had a very very good surgeon and all of my complications had nothing to do with his work, but just my body's reaction to everything. But everyone is different. I don't regret my decision whatsoever. There is a website www.j-pouch.org that will answer a lot of your questions and give you a forum that revolves completely around this surgery. Good luck with everything!