Colon Cancer Community
Polyps or hemorrhoid, possibly cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Polyps or hemorrhoid, possibly cancer?

Hi, i'm an 18 years old girl, and i just got diagnosed of polyps on my colon.

I think i have actually noticed that something was not normal with my abdomen since about 2 or 3 years ago, cause i noticed that bright red blood occurs several times when i went to the toilet. but i thought it was okay, so i didnt tell my parents yet. and then about 9 months ago, i told my parents about it and we instantly assumed that it was hemorrhoid (since my father and his siblings have had taken hemorrohoid surgery). but then later on this week, i went to the gynecologist because my period circulation is very rapid, and when the doctor check my rectum with his finger, he told me to go to the surgeon because he's suspicious of the hemorrhoid.
So right after that, I went to my uncle who is a surgeon (he haven’t know about my “hemorrhoid” yet). And then he “slipped in” a tube like sort of thing into my rectum and I don’t know what happened back there but I hear my uncle told my mom and the nurse beside him to look at those little grape like things. Then my uncle said that it wasn’t hemorrhoid but it was polyp. So I have to take surgery, and then after the polyp has lifted, it will be sent into the lab for a test. But my uncle told me that he wants me to go to another surgeon (digestive surgeon to be specific) before operation. And he said that how can you haven’t notice anything about it until today? You should’ve noticed it, since the polyps are not small (he didn’t said that they were big though). And I told him that I noticed the fresh blood and the mucus, but I thought that it was hemorrhoid.

I know that I will get the diagnoses from these doctors, but since I’m just curious and I haven’t made any appointments with another surgeon yet, can you help me with these questions please?
1. Is it possible that my uncle is mistaken? I mean that it really was a hemorrhoid.
2. If it is polyp, can you give a quick diagnose if this polyps are harmless polyps or not (cancer etc)?
3. Is it possible to have a colon cancer at the age of 18?
Hi.  I will do my best to answer your questions since I have a lot of experience in this.

1. Your uncle would know the difference between a hemorrhoid and a polyp.  I feel he is right, and is smart for sending you to to see the other doctor which is going to be a Gastroenterologist.

2.  Polyps can be benign or cancerous, it's the number of polyps that determine if this is a colon disease.  The gastro doc will know all about this.

3.  Colon cancer at your age is unheard of, but not polyps.

There is a colon disease that presents with many polyps, it's FAP.  It's in our family and your Gastroenterologist will know if this is what this might be.  The polyps can be removed during a colonoscopy, which isn't really surgery.  But it will allow the doctor to see if there are more.  Did your uncle say how many he saw?