Complementary Medicine Community
low cortisol levels

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

low cortisol levels

I have had several saliva tests and each of my cortisol levels is about one third below the minimum although following the normal of pattern of highest in morning, lowest at night.  I have been taking an adrenal gland supplement (bovine gland extract) for a year but no improvement.  Would adaptogens be useful to take like rhodiola and ashwagandha?  I hesitate because it seems these lower cortisone.  I am 66 and also have underactive thyroid - that is improving with bovine thyroid extract so it is my cortisone level I really want to improve.  What do you suggest to take?  Lifestyle is relaxed meditation, etc.  Thanks for your help.  Sandy
Theoretically, adaptogens balance the adrenals.  If they need stimulating, they get that, if they need calming, they get that.  Some are considered more stimulating than others.  Rhodiola and Chinese or Korean ginseng are considered stimulating, for example, while ashwagandha and American ginseng are considered cooling and calming.  You're adrenal function is connected to your thyroid function as well.  One way to stimulate cortisol production, used for example with those suffering depression, is to stimulate norepinephrine, for example taking phenylalanine.  Might make you nervous, but if you're a calm person, it might help.  These are just ideas, however, and people react differently to things, so you'll still have to do your own research, consult experts, read up on it, whatever, and then it will still be trial and error.