Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
OCD MED QUESTION
About This Forum:

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

OCD MED QUESTION

I have OCD.  Ive been on meds for about 5 years. Anafranil.  theyve always seemed to work.  Lately though,  not so much I think.   is this possible?  for meds to work for 5 years, then not?  Im obsessing again.  not about the same things as before,  but the same obsessive pattern.  
Related Discussions
716143_tn?1232351325
While Jaquta's comments are right on target, it is quite common for SSRI's to work for a while then lose their 'magic.'  Let your prescriber know, amnother medication may well work well.

tg
6 Comments
Blank
Blank
bump
Blank
anyone?
Blank
It may not be that the medication isn't working but that your underlying issues (anxiety, etc) are coming to the fore again.
There may be something which has happened which is stressing you causing you to revert back to old patterns although with different content to previously.
The expert is much better able to explain.

Psychotherapy is also an important aide to overcoming certain thought and behavioral patterns.  If you haven't tried this then I would strongly recommend it.

If you feel that the medication isn't containing the ocd then you should follow this up with either a therapist or doctor.

I hope this helps a little.  I'm sorry no one has responded sooner to your post.
Blank
he just upped my dose.    nothing new yet.  we'll see how this goes.   thanks for your words!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
9 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank