Congestive Heart Failure Community
Heart Viruses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

Heart Viruses

What is a heart virus? History: Father died of causes related to having an enlarged heart.  He was 67yrs. old.  My youngest brother is 42yrs. old and just recently had a "mild" heart attack.  He was released within 24 hours and had to go back because the doctors said that his heart was enlarged and there was blockage somewhere...I don't know the term they used.  Anyway, they said that there was no blockage and that his heart was attacked by a virus. I just want to know what is a heart virus? And what can it do to you? By-the-way, my brother also smokes about 2 packs a day and usually has a beer or two almost everyday...
About 3 years ago I came down with a virus which I fought for 7 months before landing in the hospital with a GI bleed that would leave me with less than 50% blood volume.  They said it was caused by the virus.

It does't have to be a "heart virus" in order for it to cause all kinds of problems.

Losing the 50% blood volume over a 7 months period left me with an enlarged, weak heart that only works at 15-20% of normal, and Congestive Heart Failure.

The doctors told me that they were positive I had some blockage going on.  After a heart cath, they said my arteries were as clear as young teen, but everything was enlarged and very weak, deciding that it was all caused by the virus I had.

If you look up CHF, it will scare the daylights out of you, and if you look up your brothers symptoms it will do the same.  

What can it do to you?  Cause early demise

Should he quit smoking and drinking?  I think it depends on his prognosis.  IF he's on his way out, then I think it's important to do it HIS way.  However, since he's so young, and might possibly qualify for a heart transplant, then giving up his vices is important, otherwise he won't qualify.  In any event it HAS to be HIS choice, and not from being nagged, okay?

Take care.......
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Myocarditis or inflammation of the heart muscle may be caused by viral infections. The virus invades the heart muscle to cause local inflammation and the body's immune system continues to inflict inflammatory damage to the heart muscle.  There are plenty of viruses that can affect the heart, an example is Coxsackie B virus, which is responsible for 50% infections in the heart. The cardiac disease caused by this virus mainly occurs in middle-aged men, with onset occurring, on average, around age 42. In most cases, the disease is resolved spontaneously without any treatment.Some results to permanent heart damage and about 20% of the cases can be progressive disease or recurrence of symptoms. The latter presents with extensive heart damage, causing arrhythmias, weakened left ventricular functions, and, in the worst cases, heart failure requiring heart transplantation. In these severe cases, cardiac disease progression persists after the virus is long gone because the immune system continues to damage the heart. Anti-inflammatory or immunosuppressive drugs during the early stage of the disease may help. Take care and regards.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition