High Triglyceride level but low cholesterol
I am 24yr old and female. I recently went to have some blood work done and I found out that I have an extremely high triglyceride level with an average/low cholesterol level. I am not overweight, 145lbs at 5'5" but I cannot figure out why I have this high level when everything else is ok. Now, I am concerned and really do not know what to do on how to resolve this issue. I do not know my family history in this case and it is a lot of work to find that information. My blood pressure is 129/76, HDL 41, LDL 42, total cholesterol 134, glucose 96 and triglyceride 256 (scary and 2x above normal)! Is there any explanation of this and again how do I go about lowering my triglyceride level?

Thank you
"MJ"
A couple things can raise triglycerides, including alcohol, a high fat diet, and lots of sweets, sugary desserts, nondiet soda, sugar-sweetened tea, candy, etc.  If you're otherwise feeling OK, I would start by cutting down on the above (if they apply) and get rechecked in 4 to 6 weeks.

By the way--were you fasting when they did the blood work? That can make a difference. It's best if triglycerides are measured after an overnight fast and a period of no alcohol for 24-28 hours.  

It is possible that there was a mistake made, too. So try not to worry, but do follow up with a recheck. Please let us know how things come out.  
Oops--I meant no alcohol for 24 to 48 hours...
Yvette BG, hit the nail square on the head.  Diet and excercise will take you a very long way in bringing the numbers down.....or, it "could" have been a mistake and should be rechecked after a couple of weeks, after a fast, just to make sure that you're not trying to do something that doesn't need to be done.

However, IF you eat a lot of foods which cause high trig numbers, it just makes sense to knock it off before it causes problems, whether anything shows, or not....at 24 years of age you still stand a chance of reversing upcoming problems, so don't miss your chance.

Good luck in your endeavors.....
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Elevated triglycerides in presence of normal cholesterol can be due to a diet rich in fat or due to dieting resulting in breakdown of fat. Food containing red meat, dairy products (butter, oil, cream), organ meat, and high sugar can increase triglycerides. Persisting high levels can be dangerous. However with most people a diet control helps. Presence of diabetes and hypothyroidism too can cause a high triglyceride level and hence should be eliminated. Please consult your doctor regarding this. If diet control and exercise does not help, then there are drugs which can be taken to lower these.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I am 20 5'5 129 pounds. I'm not a health freak but I do try to eat pretty healthy. I almost never eat fast food either. My diet consists of luna bars for breakfast or 1 fiber waffle. I eat the yoplait yogurts for lunch and for dinner my family usually makes low fat healthy home cooked meals. My mom is always eating healthy and seeing nutritionists so I know I don't eat extremely bad or anything. My dad has high triglycerides but he is a little heavy and doesn't always eat the best. I'm wondering why my levels are at 207. They like them at 150. I am on the pill I really don't want to get off of it because I have irregular periods and I'm sexually active, plus it does help me keep my weight down. Please let me know what I can do because my mom is ready to take me off the pill and I'm frustrated that I eat relatively well and exercise and I have this problem.
This is old, and I am responding years late. Just wanted to mention, I understand celiac disease can also cause this pattern of high trig and low cholesterol. You can have celiac without any obvious stomach symptoms, and it can do a lot of damage. I recommend you get checked for it. You could start with celiac antibody screen. Alternatively, you could do a month on a strict gluten free diet to see if you notice any physical changes. Lots of people think they have no symptoms (with celiac undiagnosed) and then are amazed at the changes they have with the gf diet.
I have the same problem but with a Triglyceride level of 200.
You are right .

I have been on a Cabbage soup diet and regular exercise regime and lost 6 kgs so far. Reduced my waistline by two notches on my belt.

The high triglycerides must be due to my weight loss program.