Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
chf in 40 year old woman prognosis?

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

chf in 40 year old woman prognosis?

Hi, my mother was diagnosed with heart failure AT 38 years old. About three months after having my baby sister. She is now 40 she has congestive heart failure and its her whole organ not a right or left side. Based off her echo tests they say her heart only works at 50% of what it should. I was curious how long someone can live with this condition so i know what to expect?  thank you
Hello and welcome to the forum.

First, I am sorry to hear about your mother but allow me to make a few comments that I hope you will find helpful.

1. Based on the informaton you provided me, it sounds like your mother may be suffering from what is commonly referred to as a peripartum cardiomyopathy (in other words, heart dysfunction related to pregnancy. Nobody is sure why this happens but it does).

2. If this is the case, among all the heart conditions, this one often has the best prognosis.

3. It is critical that your mom get started on heart failure medical therapy and is being taken care of by a heart failure expert.  With optimal medical therapy, her condition has a very reasonable chance of getting a whole lot better.

4. I hope that she is able to live a long time with her condition and that it will improve with medications.  However, if/when her condition were to deteriorate down the road, she may be a candidate for other more advanced options.  So let's hope that your mom will be around for a VERY long time...but please make sure that she is being seen by doctors who specialize in this condition.

All the best,

Dr. Rich
when she was first diagnosed two years ago they felt it was from pregnancy but since she's been treated and on medication for two years they no longer feel it was from pregnancy. Since her heart failure there has been no improvement even with medication.
hi I was told I had heart failure 10yrs ago and I am still here I took meds and walked a lot and I feel much better and I kost whight ,  and its not the end  only if she make it the end I hop all is well , ther is so many people with the condition and they dont even know.