does anyone have CHF without having had a heart attack?
I have CHF although my coronary arteries are clear. I had my first heart failure and was hospitalised in1981. Since then I had recovered and was even doing strenuous country walking. I was walking 10 -15 miles a week in high country. A year ago last August, I was again hospitalised and am now on a large amount of different medications for CHF. Arteries are still clear and have never had a heart attack, nor have chest pain. I am told I have moderate mitral regurgitation and severe LV function. A couple of weeks ago I had another episode of breathlessness where I had high blood pressure and rapid pulse. I took 80mg Furosemide and rested and things stabilised in a few days although I have been left with quite frequent palpitations.. I see a cardiology nurse who has suggested a 24 hour trace to see how frequent the arrhythmia is. I am very frightened when I read life expectation with this condition. Is there anything I can do to help myself maintain a normal life.
Yes, I am not, but there are many people that have HF without HA. There are many medical conditions that produce it.

Going back to normal life it depends very much of what is the reason of your HF and your personal circumstances (age, sex, race (yes black skin is bad for HF))...

However, if go get a good cardiologist specialized in HF, and follow strictly his indications, you can have many years ahead.

Jesus
Thank you very much Jesus. The reason I asked was because the medics all express surprise when I say I have never had chest pain. I have been well for a very long time but at 72 I feel that all isn't well any more. I am in the UK so have the good old NHS! However, you can't choose which physician sees you. I have been very fortunate and had good treatment. There has been talk of fitting me with a pacemaker if things 'tip over the edge again' (quote). would this be a good idea? Today my BP is 116/76 and pulse 74, I don't have swollen ankles but my heart feels like a huge jelly wobbling in my chest. It's very unpleasant and have quite frequent arrhythmia. Heigh Ho!! Maybe I worry too much.
I hope that the drs. that were surprised are not the cardiologist that are treating you.

There are many people with dilated cardiomiopathies or ventricular hypertrophy that has HF and never had pain in the chest.

So, you really do not know what your disease is?

In any case, I think that they might speak to you about implanting a defibrillator more than a pacemaker.

I advise you to ask for copies of reports of all the tests that they made, in particular echos and blood tests, minimize your sodium intake (read carefully all labels of processed food), tell your cardiologist about ALL medicines and supplements that you take since many  common medicines (like ibuprofen or omeprazole ) can aggravate HF or interact with its medication, and of course, follow strictly his recommendations.

Jesus