Congestive Heart Failure Community
heart pumping air

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

heart pumping air

Why would someone's heart pump air instead of blood and can they survive? I just received a phone call that my 71-year-old mother-in-law's heart is pumping air and not blood. I am scared to death and no one is giving me any answers.
Tags: Heart, pumping, air
No. Someone who is either mentally challenged, or received their medical credential with boxtops provided you with that answer. That is not to say that something is not seriously wrong with your loved one's heart. Then again the problem may not be so serious. Stop worrying. Things may not be as bad as you think .  I suggest you find an adult who is familiar with your mother's condition to speak with.
Thank you.
I'm guessing here, but perhaps the conversation was based on the amount of oxygen getting to your mother's heart.  Oxygen is carried by the blood to the heart tissue/muscle.  By the fact you are posting on this board, I suspect your mother has congestive heart failure, and it is extremely common for those of us with that condition to have problems getting oxygen to the heart as the blood supply is diminished.

BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Cindy, and ChitChatNine commented on Cindy's status
May 20
Cindy sends heartfelt thanks to a... Comment
May 18
Cindy commented on Cindy's status
May 18