Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
myocarditis?

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

myocarditis?

Dear doctor,
I had a sore throat followed by a cold infection with much phlegm. Around two weeks after the termination of the infection, I experienced unusual skipped heart beats followed by tachycardia. Is there a danger of myocarditis here, and what tests should I take to determine this?
Much thanks.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Colds, sore throats, and respiratory infections are super common and myocarditis is not...so this is the good news (ie the chance that you have myocarditis is low).  However, the risk of course is not zero.  If you are experiencing new symptoms (which is sounds like you are) and you are worried, I would do the following:

1. See your PCP
2. Tests to start with include an ECG.  If still concerned, an echocardiogram would be reasonable.  Lab tests that look for release of proteins from the heart (called troponins) would also be reasonable should the concern for myocaridits be high.  
3. If 1+2 are reassuring but you continue to experience funny heart beats/skipped beats, etc and nothing is picked up on the ECG, I'd consider a 48 hour Holter monitor.

Best of luck,

Dr. Rich
Thanks very much doctor. I shall follow these suggestions.
With warmest regards,
Malan