Congestive Heart Failure Community
severe leg pain in CHF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

severe leg pain in CHF

Hi ,
my mother has had a heart failure last june;since then, the classic symptoms have been showing,the loss of appetite,making it harder to keep the  meds down, the leg pain,swelling etc. My question is whether there are any over the counter medicines in US, which might help her sleep a few hours pain-free,at night? I feel hopeless about her condition really,with her heart efficiency at 25%,there's not much to be done i am aware..
Could someone throw some light in this whole situation she is facing?
Are you certain the leg pain is from the CHF?  Is there any chance it is a side effect to a medication?  For example, many cholesterol lowering medications cause leg cramping/pain.  In addition, it is important to have the leg pain evaluated for PAD.  Check out the EXPERT forum on PAD.  The doctor might have some suggestions/advice.  In the meantime, she should schedule a consult to have the pain evaluated.
Hi! thanx for your response..well yes,she has had a CHF.. the pain is due to poor circulation...she does need to be hooked to oxygen every day for half hour..she gets better after that. About peripheral arterial disease,i will get more info. on that..
Thanx again
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition